Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2017, 10:52:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Longbranch (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Silver Creek Slim, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: Sorta off-topic... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sorta off-topic...  (Read 117 times)
Ol Gabe
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« on: Today at 01:03:46 am »

This question is posed for those CAS/WAS Pards & Pardettes who live in the NW states where Buff & Elk run the valleys,
Awhile back wifey & I were watching a show about Buff, Elk & Wolves in a NW state during the Winter months, it was on our PBS affiliate here in Corn Country. One part of the program dealt with a carcass being devourved by wolves with vultures crows/ravens and an unknown bird to us waiting a turn.
The bird in question was the size of a crow, black and white in color with each in large blocks of about equal size and shape. The crows didn't want anything to do with them and they seemed to bounce around the snow on the edges.
We looked at all our various bird books and found nothing even close so thought I'd defer to the local range-owners up there/here on the line and see what they might have to offer as far as advise as to which species, name, area of habitat, etc., it might be.
No need to glob the bandwidth here with details, if you know what it might be please let me know off-line in a PM.
Thanks in advance and please drive careful this weekend, snow is more than likely on the ground up your way and headed our way in about a fortnight or so!
'Ol Gabe
NCOWS #925
Professor Marvel
purveyor of useless items to the gentry
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

life is too short to waste on stupid

« Reply #1 on: Today at 02:18:21 am »

Greetings Old Gabe -

are you perchance referring to the Black Billed Magpie aka American Magpie, aka

they hang out on top of buffalo and other such large herbivores, as well as hanging out by carcasses
squawking " Can I have some? Can I have some?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-billed_magpie

yhs
prof squawking

Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
August
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:14:07 am »

Yup.  Magpie.

Buffalo Creek Law Dog
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:49:18 am »

We have them up in Alberta also.  A very wary bird, they can smell a gun from a mile away.  They are scavengers, same as ravens and crows.  Back in the 50's and early 60's you used to get .02 cents for a pair of Magpie/Raven/Crow's feet or, a gopher tail when turned over to the grain elevator operator.  We sometimes refer to them as pinto crows.

SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
PJ Hardtack
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #4 on: Today at 11:42:46 am »

Somebody post a link to Ian Tyson's song "Magpie".

"The west ain't never gonna die as long as you fly."

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne
greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:18:25 pm »

Yup.  Magpie.

Thats not a magpie --- this is a magpie!!! Grin

* magpie-800.jpeg (25.92 KB, 800x450 - viewed 6 times.)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Longbranch (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Silver Creek Slim, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: Sorta off-topic... « previous next »
Jump to: