Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2017, 08:13:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1873 (Moderator: Major 2)  |  Topic: Vintage Hunting with the 1873 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vintage Hunting with the 1873  (Read 178868 times)
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2012, 03:04:43 pm »

Dirty Brass
Guess what ammo I will be Coyote hunting with Huh??  Grin Grin Grin That's right .
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 07:52:34 pm »

Texans
Are yawl allowed to Turkey Hunt with a Rifle Huh I would love to take a Tom with my 1873 ( legally ) . Hum smoked Turkey .  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 08:01:09 pm »

Howdy
Turkey season is over ( shotgun only ) .  so will be hunting coyotes and ground hogs this summer . Looks like I may have plenty of time for Hunting . We got a 60 day notice that our Coal Mine is shutting down . Back to the soup line .  Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry
MJN77
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 01:25:14 am »

Sorry to hear that Rowdy.
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2012, 04:37:28 pm »

MJN77
Thanks ,  I just hate job hunting . But that's life . Looks like I will have a little free time , plan on a few Video's . Would love to put a Vintage Hunting Video together . A Black Bear Hunt would be a dream come true .
MJN77
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2012, 07:49:04 pm »

A Black Bear Hunt would be a dream come true
I would like to see that.
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2012, 08:45:39 am »

mjn77
To take a Black Bear with a 1873 using black powder ammo , that would be the ULTIMATE HUNT .
MJN77
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2012, 02:02:31 pm »

mjn77
To take a Black Bear with a 1873 using black powder ammo , that would be the ULTIMATE HUNT .

Yes sir, it would. We have black bears around here.  My mother has had them walk up onto her back porch a few times, and I have seen their tracks when out checking on my cattle. Smiley
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2012, 02:58:20 pm »

Howdy
Today is smoking Hot   . Decided to start planning on the upcoming Hunting season . We try to always have a Deer camp which is a lot of Fun . Between the hunting ,the eating ,and the camping , well that's  as good as life gets . The camp cook is always looking for new recipes for his Dutch oven . And he always delivers excellent food . I will use my half octagon rifle it shoots the best group for me . And will carry my 5 1/2 USFA in 44wcf for back up or actually if I get one up close I enjoy using my pistol . 
hammer1
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2012, 08:49:34 am »

Rowdy, If you dont mind me askin, where are you from ,sir? talkin about a coal mine closed, I have kin all over PA. Was born there, in Johnstown. Have family in, Ebensburg, Southfork, Altoona, and a few others. My uncle was killed in the Somerset mine back in 84, and my granddad worked in the mines there for over 40 years.
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2012, 12:19:59 pm »

Hammer
I live in Kentucky . I worked for Patriot Coal at there Freedom Mine . Hope to get on at there Highland Mine which is 4 miles from my door step .
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2012, 05:30:51 pm »

Howdy
Today has been a Hot one . Went shooting earlier and that was Hot . Tried the Reloader 7 and it was ok . I prefer the smokey loads .   The Swiss is my favorite , and if for some reason I run out of those will work with the T7 . I loaded up a few rounds with T7 today , plan on shooting tomorrow . If I can get it to shoot 20 rounds consistently that is the plan .
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2012, 10:59:57 am »

Howdy
Today the weather is Great . Sunshine and cooler temps . It's time to finalize the load selection for the up coming Deer season . I have my loads  down to 2 different loads . And yes Swiss is one of them . I can't wait for Rifle season .
KirkD
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2012, 08:10:51 pm »

Well, I'm having a hard time waiting as well. Our season doesn't start until mid-November. I'll be practicing offhand shooting between now and then with my '73 44 WCF.
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2012, 04:32:58 pm »

KirkD
Today was a rainy cooler day , really makes you think about Hunting season . I hope my ammo is on the next UPS truck . I plan on shooting ammo loaded with Swiss . But if for some strange reason that doesn't happen I have a back up plan . I can legally take 4 Deer with my 1873 . So naturally I want to take them with Black Powder Ammo . And yes I have been practicing shooting off hand .
Rule of thumb ,What ever direction you anticipate the Deer to come from they will probably come from the other . So it's a good idea to practice shooting from your weak side also .
KirkD
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2012, 09:07:02 pm »

Rowdy, I casted up over 300 bullets for my old '73 today. Now to get them loaded up and out to the range on a weekly basis until hunting season. I used to hunt Snowshoe Hares every day in the winter time. I eventually got used to all sorts of contortions to get the shot. Trouble is now the ol' neck doesn't twist around 360 degrees anymore.
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2012, 09:36:53 pm »

Howdy
Got a chance to check on my Deer stands . They are still there , will move one to another area on Farm . The drought has been tough on the mass crop . The swamp is all dried up , never thought it would look like that . At least the skitters aren't to bad . Might try to slip in there and call a coyote up . We camped the other night and those ole song dogs were making all kinds of noise .
It sounded like there was 50+ coyotes but when it gets daylight they disappear . The next day all you can find is tracks and crap . 
KirkD
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2012, 07:20:53 am »

Howdy
Got a chance to check on my Deer stands . They are still there , will move one to another area on Farm . The drought has been tough on the mass crop . The swamp is all dried up , never thought it would look like that . At least the skitters aren't to bad . Might try to slip in there and call a coyote up . We camped the other night and those ole song dogs were making all kinds of noise .
It sounded like there was 50+ coyotes but when it gets daylight they disappear . The next day all you can find is tracks and crap . 
If you can imitate a wounded rabbit, they'll come a-runnin'. There's too many of them around here. They are decimating the fawns.
dusty texian
Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Dusty Texian

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2012, 06:50:31 pm »

Wounded rabbit works ,Lost pup works good late summer ,wounded bird works all yr . Take it from a Texan who has put many song dog in the happy hunting ground . You can fool them once or twice after that the are educated . Prob. the smartest animal you can hunt . Dusty .
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2012, 09:03:35 am »

Dusty
Ole Wiley Coyote is about as smart of a critter as you can hunt . If you can get them into range the 44wcf is a different way to hunt . Last Deer season I was hunting and a Coyote came slipping through the woods ,the old 44wcf laid him to rest . Sure do wish I had got a picture of him .
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2012, 10:19:55 am »

Dusty
I broke down and purchased a electronic caller last winter . Looks like I will get to use it this year .
dusty texian
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Dusty Texian

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2012, 03:06:43 pm »

Hope you put a spanking on them song dogs Rowdy.
dusty texian
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Dusty Texian

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2012, 03:12:31 pm »

I ordered that 2ff Swiss from Powder Inc. Waiting on it to get here . Got a bunch of bullets cast lubed,and ready . Hope that load works good . Decided to hunt only with my 45-75wcf 76,and my C.Sharps this season. Have not been this excited to hunt in yrs. Brings back the fun. Dusty.
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2012, 08:18:51 pm »

Dusty
I know that feeling , I have been working with my 1873's and  plan  on SLAUGHTERING the Deer at the farm . I have a new Short Rifle and it needs a .429 bullet . My old faithful uses a . 427 and what I don't understand  , they are both Uberti's . I plan on filling my tags this year , I like jerky and the sausage sticks . And how could you not like the Tenderloin or Steaks .

Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2012, 12:19:43 pm »

Howdy
Got out there yesterday and tried the .429 , .430 with Swiss BP . The short rifle shot  much better .  There was one group at 50 yards I could cover with a quarter . But what really amazes me is the cleanliness of Swiss powder . When you can shot 30 rounds and look down the barrel and still see all your rifling .
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1873 (Moderator: Major 2)  |  Topic: Vintage Hunting with the 1873 « previous next »
Jump to: