Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 17, 2017, 09:50:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  Shooter's Meeting (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: First Match 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Match  (Read 72651 times)
Big John Denny
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2005, 10:50:39 pm »

It sure is. I just penned it in.

Big John Denny, SASS 64775
US Army Retired
Los Vaqueros
BOLD #661
GOFWG #240
SBSS #1780 (Order of the Golden Bullet)
NMLRA
NRA
"Aim small....Miss small"
Micheal Fortune
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2005, 12:13:22 am »

It sure is. I just penned it in.
Well BJD, I wish you would of told my first two wifes about that rule................ Wink

Saloon Keeper, Gambler, Shootist
Sun River Rangers Shooting Society / SASS 60159 / R.O.-1 / SBSS 1685 / G.O.F.W.G. 89 / RATS 58 / KGC 4 /
Pukin Dog
Top Active Citizen

The frozen tundra of Madison, Wi

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2005, 07:05:01 pm »

Let see, for my first match all I had were a couple of C & B pistols (A Walker and a Dragoon to boot!!), a '73 Win bought used that I had never shot yet and a borrowed shotgun which also of course had never shot.

So I'm shooting Frontiersman (still the toughest class to shoot in my humble opinion, I shoot FCD now) with 2 of the biggest dang pistols you can find and with 2 long guns I'd never shot yet! Smiley

Funny thing is though, I wasn't nervous at all!  I thought I would be but had told myself that the first rule was to just shoot safely and accurately.  So I wasn't concerned with impressing anybody with my speed or skills.  That seemed to work.  I did well but was in the bottom of the rankings, but man did I have fun.

You'll have a great time too!  Just have fun the first time, and worry about competition later.

"Puking Dog" Danlbach

Soot Lord Junior Grade
Semi-Warthog

bobby twohorse
Citizen

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2005, 08:50:54 pm »

Loved reading the stories of everyone's first match, hopefully in a couple of weeks I can give you mine. Yalls stories have made me feel a little better about my up and coming first match, been looking forward to it but a little nerveous. So far I have my outfit and have bought a matched set of Remm. Outlaws in 45 colt, a 92 in 45 colt and a stoger side by side, all I am waiting for is my leather which should be here by the end of the month. Shot rifles most of my life but very little experiance with pistols. I have been to the local shoots a couple of times to watch but have yet to step up to the plate and shoot a match, will let yall know how it comes out."shaking in my Boots" Grin
Sod Buster
My Barn, My Rules
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

What happens in the Barn - Stays in the Barn

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2005, 09:03:05 pm »

Loved reading the stories of everyone's first match, hopefully in a couple of weeks I can give you mine.

Bobby,
Where are you located?

Good Luck at your first match. 

SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life
Marshal Halloway
Editor & Webmaster of Cas City.
City Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Don't squat with your spurs on. Have fun shootin'.

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2005, 10:57:20 pm »

.....will let yall know how it comes out."shaking in my Boots" Grin

We are all looking forward to hearing about your first experience. As I say to the first timers being a little embarassed about their first shooting appearance and maybe a few misses:

Well, you had a few misses, but dang, you did it with style.  Grin

Have fun and be safe, that's what counts here.

Marshal Halloway
Lou Graham
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2005, 06:49:52 am »

Well, lessee... about 5 years ago I knew all the range safety rules and could put a few holes in paper with a 9mm and a bolt action rifle as long as someone that knew what they were doing was with me to help if anything malfunctioned.
It was boring.
I was afraid of shotguns.
I had never been in any kind of competition, just plinking at the gun club.

I joined SASS without Wonnerful Hubby as he didn't think at the time that sort of think was his style.  He helped me pick my guns and gear and showed me how to operate it all.  I practiced for several months, loading, shooting and unloading as instructed in the rule book.

My first stage of my first match is etced in memory for forever.  Snake Eyes Frank was the kind and helpful RO that saw me through my first stage.  Pistols - clean, move, shotgun - clean, climb onto horse and shoot rifle. Panic -- I've never shot sitting! Shocked   Can I do this?  Jump on horse, pick up rifle, bang- clang, bang-clang.  I CAN do it!  I AM doing it! bang-clang I'm doing it! bang-clang I'm not a bystander, I'm DOING this! bang-clang bang-clang bang-clang Yipee! bang-clang bang-clang Lookit me, I'm doing it! bang-no-clang.  I missed the last shot on the last gun 'cause by then I was shaking quite a lot and grinning from ear to ear.  I was VERY slow, deliberate and careful.  Everybody cheered and clapped.  After all, they had a new lady shooter, kinda rare at that time here.

Soot Lady
You can never be too thin, too rich or have too much ammo
Camille Eonich
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2005, 08:20:27 am »

Yalls stories have made me feel a little better about my up and coming first match, been looking forward to it but a little nerveous.

YAY!  Then it is serving it's purpose. 

Welcome to the game....you may think that you are hooked now but wait until after you get that first stage past you. Shocked Grin

“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood
Irish Red O'Toole
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2005, 12:09:50 pm »

Wel about three years ago Christmas, my brother comes over and gives me a HUGE box and a little box as presents.  Inside the little box was his old Blackhawk .45 Colt and in the HUGE one was a compete set of cowboy duds.  Now I had no reason not to shoot.  So we picked a Saturday shoot and he drove out to get me (60 miles out of his way!!) at 6AM.  I was so excited that I was up at 5AM waiting for him.  When we got to the match, I had to borrow everything but a belt.  Well the good pards at the Cajon Cowboys took real good care of me.  I was loaned guns (other than my new Blackhawk) and holsters and off I went.  I hung back and watched the first half dozen or so people shoot then my brother came over and said "load up".  THAT got my knees shaking.  I loaded my borrowed guns so slowly I thought the sun would go down before I was done.  Anyway, I finally got up to shoot.  I had a pretty good idea what to shoot and when.  The timer buzeed in my ear and off I went.  I don't remember thinking about the people behind me or anything.  But when I was done, I looked at the spotters.  They all indicated I shot it clean!  As I was walking past one of the ultra fast guys, I heard him muttering, "new shooter my a$$!!"  That made me walk just a few feet off the ground for the rest of the day.
Russ T Chambers
Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

Well preserved for my age!

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2005, 01:19:21 pm »

My first shoot was so long ago I don’t even want to think about dates.  It was at Lake Elsinore in Southern California.  I was living in Oceanside at the time, and had one used SAA.  I read about End of Trail in Guns and Ammo, and thought about going to it (good thing other events intervened, and I didn’t make it), I wasn’t anywhere near prepared for even the low key event it was back then!
A little later I got in contact with Bill and Dorothy Hahn.  They put on a shoot at Elsinore, and by now I had acquired a rifle.  Dorothy was kind enough to load me a shotgun (I got my own Rossi coach gun at the end of the match from a shooter who was going to be more competitive by getting a ’97).
To be honest, I don’t remember the details of my shooting, other than being scared to death of dropping a gun, or making any other stupid safety oops.
I do remember after the first stage, I realized I probably wasn’t the total klutz I thought I was going to be, and really allowed myself to enjoy the people, the shooting and the closeness that a bunch of cowboy shooters exude when they get together.
I still have the shooter’s badge from that shoot, (honestly I didn’t know Bill wanted them back at the time), and I wouldn’t trade it for all fifteen consecutive EOT badges since then.

Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow
Camille Eonich
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2006, 10:43:24 am »

Ok we got a bunch of new members here now.  Let's hear your stories. Grin

“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood
Arcey
Underlord of Soot
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2006, 10:50:13 am »

Got my first shoot comin' up Saturday.  Can't wait!

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.
Russ T Chambers
Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

Well preserved for my age!

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2006, 10:52:52 am »

Arcey
Don't ya know ya can go to hell  for lyin' just as quick as ya canfor stealin'.  Roll Eyes Grin Grin

Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow
Camille Eonich
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2006, 11:18:02 am »

Yer a mess! 

― Clint Eastwood
Arcey
Underlord of Soot
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2006, 11:26:59 am »

Awwwww c'mon, y'all.  It's my first shoot this week........................

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.
Camille Eonich
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2006, 11:48:57 am »

Awwwww c'mon, y'all.  It's my first shoot this week........................

Then I'm going to two first shoots this weekend. One on Saturday that will be the first shoot of the week and one on Sunday that will be the first shoot of next week.   Grin

― Clint Eastwood
Tensleep
Damned Ol' Ranger
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2006, 11:53:26 am »

Sounds good to me....

Think I'll do the same.  Grin

Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."
Micheal Fortune
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2006, 12:07:59 pm »

Went to one Saturday, that was the last of the off season shoots......

Now this Sunday coming up, is the First shoot of the new season.........does that count??   Smiley

Saloon Keeper, Gambler, Shootist
Sun River Rangers Shooting Society / SASS 60159 / R.O.-1 / SBSS 1685 / G.O.F.W.G. 89 / RATS 58 / KGC 4 /
sweettooth
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2006, 11:15:47 pm »

Howdy first I dont know alot about cas history what is cas L? I have been wondering that since I first started coming to this web site ? o.k my first shoot
  My wife and I were cruizing the hill country on the bike and we happened on a big shoot. Lots of shooters and lots of vendors.
 I talked with several shooters and watched some stages thought this is great dress up like cowboys run around objects and shoot 3 different guns . Whats not to like. Told her someday Im going to do this.
  Well this year I happend on this web site and decied its time order a pistola from the marshal bought a marlin cbc already had a vaquero and went to my first match a gentleman who has become a friend loaned me a shotgun.
  First match of the year Jan something lots of shooters . lots of costumes I loved it
 Loaded my pistols hadnt had a chance to shoot the navy arms yet and buzz great ro helped me through it, move here, now this ,
 shotgun next he said I was in a fog. Got to the shotgun new shotgun mule ears a foot apart it was like try to work a combination lock . They timed me with a calender, scored my pistol misses with a calculator .No rifle misses the corp teaches well.
 But I was hooked . Started hanging out on this board asked a lot of questions got a lot of good answerers, it kept my intrest up as the weather was not great for shooting. Worked on building the corect equipment with your help . I was so embarrased by my times I found a club that had a 2 day practice session. That helped a bunch. Never could get the hang of firing a wheel gun 2 handed my left hand goes to the 1911  position to natuarlly.
  but a pair of 5 1/2 opentops work just fine for double duelest
  Well  in April I will be shooting at that match I watched 2 yrs ago by motorcycle. Im still new but now they wont need a calculator or calender I HOPE .Even if they do the amount of friends I have made just since Jan is amazing .
           Lots of thanks to all the people here.  Your Pal Sweettooth
  P.S. Got my 73 slicked up dont need wraps. cats are safe and sound Mam.

storm
usmc 67 70
dav
semper fi
litl rooster
Cowboy Philanthropist
Top Active Citizen

I ain't sold my saddle

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2006, 05:32:15 am »

I'm with Arcey going to shoot my 1st match this week, also.

Can't believe I am still here a year later, Still on my 2nd stage too. Grin Grin Grin I have learned it's not how fast you are.........It is just plain fun and the people are the best.

"the ringin' of my jinglebobs is music to my soul.

Joshua 1.9

Tensleep
Damned Ol' Ranger
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2006, 09:38:41 pm »

Sweettooth...........

CAS-L is (because of it's continued life here) the grandfather of Cowboy Action Shooting on the internet.
It was started in 1995 by Marshal Halloway as an email list for cowboy shooters about cowboy shooting.

The Marshal was in Norway  Shocked and connected with folks interested in cowboy shooting world wide. Think that wasn't strange?  Roll Eyes

CAS-L was the way that we (us old farts called Ghostriders now) communicated with each other and learned things like Nevada Sweep and where to get the best deal on leather, guns, lead, parts and such. It also caused many of us to form a bond that lasts til this day. I met one of my very best friends on CAS-L and I am proud to say that friendship continues to this day.

Now as for Marshal Halloway, he is one of the best, and his energies can be seen in what we have today in Cas City.

Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."
Missouri Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2006, 01:18:38 am »

Well I bet it's your first shoot like this one will be!  I am truly honored that you will be part of it.  Yeeee  Haaawwww!

NRA Life, SASS Regulator, TG Pungo Posse, TG Mattaponi Sundowners, DTP, RATS #132
CLICK HERE FOR MY CAS CITY PROFILE
AND CHECK OUT THE LOADING BLOCKS IN THE CLASSIFIEDS
Arcey
Underlord of Soot
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2006, 05:55:16 am »

Yeah it is.

Thankee, sir.  We'll both be honored.  No doubt.

McMate
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2006, 02:01:53 pm »

So many pards, so much fun.

First match.....can't remember much, but can remember where..............

Lost River......Home of the Dusty Trail Posse.

Thank you Tensleep and Mz. Annie
Digem Deep
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2006, 08:09:39 pm »

Well it's been a few years since my first match, but here goes. No one around here really knew about CAS and they just put on something they viewed as a cowboy match. The only cowboy gun I had was a Marlin 336 in 30-30. Yep we could shoot them in this match. Borrowed a pistol, and a shotgun. Most round counts were 10 pistol and we only shot 1 pistol so there was a reload on every stage. Started with 6 in the rifle, sometimes loaded more . We shot bowling pins with the rifles at 50 to 75 yards, boy a 30-30 really tears them up. Most pistol targets were 15 to 30 yards away.

I wasn't really nervous at my first match, been shooting competition for years, PPC and NRA Action. Went and had a ball. And I guess what really hooked me, I took second place. Next match got cocky, come in dead last.

I got hooked so bad that I wanted more, and the club that hosted the match only had 3 per year. Couldn't justify buying the guns to be used 3 times a year. Went to my home gun club and started our cowboy matches. The early days was unusual. We used a combination of steel and cardboard targets. Most all targets were KD's. and if they didn't fall they didn't count. Rifle targets often were clay pigeons at 25 yards.

This game has changed. I think for the better. MUCH safer than when we started. More action. And more pards to have fun with and to share the excitement with. But my excitement for the game has not changed.

Dig'em Deep
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  Shooter's Meeting (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: First Match « previous next »
Jump to: