Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2017, 11:53:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  BOLD Chambers (Moderator: California Lawdawg)  |  Topic: First duty pistol 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: First duty pistol  (Read 51116 times)
El Oso Plata
Citizen

« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2006, 11:40:55 pm »

Like Wiley I started out on the Highway Patrol in Texas with a model 28.  Heavy as lead but it shot good.  Issued us the "lubaloy" .357 mag. ammo in the academy.  Replaced them with JHP's in the field.  Bullet loops on the Sam Browne.  Wonder what happened to that old gun?  Had to turn it in when I left to work for a municipal police agency. 

When speed loaders came out I got them quick.  Carried a Model 29 in .44 mag for a while.  The 28 and 29 would fit my highway patrol holster and the speed loaders fit the same case.  CArried the .44 while I was working and the .357 when I went to the office.  Figured that if I had to kill somebody, I'd come closer to killing him with the .44.  Then I'd take the days off for using the wrong gun.

Since then I've carried .45s, 9's and now a Glock 22 in .40 cal.  Still carrying a pistol for a living.  32 years now.  Time flies, don't it.
Capt. John Fitzgerald
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2006, 12:56:33 am »

Like so many others here, it was a department issue S&W Model 10.  As soon as I got out of the academy I got permission to carry my own Model 19.  Department issue ammo was .38 Super-Vel.
Throughout my 25 year carreer;
S&W Mod. 10, 4", .38
S&W Mod. 19, 4", .357
S&W Mod. 27, 6", .357
S&W Mod. 686, 6", .357
Sig Sauer Mod. 220, .45

Department went to semi-auto's in the late 80's and I carried the Sig .45 to retirement.  Still carry it today.

You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.
Crooked Creek Kid
Active citizen

« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2006, 10:22:05 am »

My first duty pistol was a Colt 1911 Series 70 in 45 ACP that was tuned up for duty carry.  We were allowed to carry whatever we qualified with.  I used this pistol for IPSC (had a custom top end and extended barrel that I switched to for competition) and carried it until I left law enforcement.  There were three of us on the dept. that were certified with 1911's and Milt Sparks made our duty rigs for us.

I ain't often right but I've never been wrong.
royal barnes
NCOWS
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2006, 09:48:35 pm »

Duty pistols as follows:

Colt Trooper 4" .357
Colt Trooper MKIII 4" .357
Smith and Wesson 66 4" .357
Smith and Wesson 66 2 1/2"(Issue plainclothes gun)
Smith and Wesson 1076 10mm semi auto

All but the original Colt Trooper now reside in my safe. We were allowed to purchase our old guns when a new one was issued. The 10mm was presented to me when I retired in '99. It's my least favorite gun. I loooove wheelguns.....or a 1911. Smiley

SASS #5792 Life Regulator
BOLD#326
LASSOOS #33s
Purveyor of the Dark Arts
Jedi Gunfighter
WARTHOG
Marshal Tac
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2006, 11:33:40 am »

Started out with a U.S. Army issued 1911 .45 as an MP, switched to the M9 Berretta when they finally got around to us. When I got out and became a civilian cop in my home town, I started out with a S&W model 10 .38 Spl., 4 inch heavy barrel that was nickled. As soon as I could I transitioned to the auto and carried a SIG P220 .45. Few years later I switched agencies and went to work for the state. They issued the Glock 22 in .40, and mandated it as the only gun to be carried on or off duty..  Sad Huh Cry  After a couple of years I switched to my current department and they carried the Glock 22 also. When we had problems with them and a new Chief came on board, he switched us to the SIG P220's as our uniform duty gun, and the P245's as a plain clothes gun, and allowed us to carry what we wanted off duty, so long as it was 9mm/.38 spl. or larger and reliable. I have since rotated through 3 P220's as they keep upgrading them with light rails, stainless slides, etc.

I still carry the P220 and, over all, am pretty happy with it. I got about 5 more years before I pull the plug and find something else to do and I intend to keep carring the P220, unless they let me move to a Kimber or Sig GSR 1911....

-Marshal Tac
"Well Mayor, I think we did our good deed for the day."
BOLD #763
SBSS #1909
fourfingersofdeath
The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
Top Active Citizen

Dang! Caught shooting a 357!

« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2006, 04:59:48 am »

First duty pistol: S&W Model 10 3" bull Barrel.

last duty pistol: see above  Grin
Mick.

All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com
Buffalo Creek Law Dog
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2006, 10:39:28 am »

As an Air Force Policeman I carried a Browning 9mm with an extra mag attached to the holster. When I was commissioned I had to trade it in for a Colt Cobra .38 spl.

SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
fourfingersofdeath
The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
Top Active Citizen

Dang! Caught shooting a 357!

« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2006, 11:44:33 pm »

As an Air Force Policeman I carried a Browning 9mm with an extra mag attached to the holster. When I was commissioned I had to trade it in for a Colt Cobra .38 spl.

Seems a sure way to get shot, wearing different gear from the rest. I was a tank leiutenant and carried a rifle (not that I ever got in a shooting war), probably a bit of a wank, you can soon tell who the boss is, if you can't, shoot em all and put the poor sods out of their misery Grin

All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com
John Barleycorn
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2006, 10:22:04 pm »

Mine was a S&W 6906 9mm 12 rnd mag. beautiful stainless. Never had a malfunction "nines" have seem to have dropped from favor but I still have mine, its cheap to reload and practice with. I use it for a concealed carry piece often.

Jedi Gunfighter #176
BOLD #787, NRA Life, RO I
N.E. Reg. FCGF Champ '12
PA  St. FCGF Champ '12 '13
MD St. FCGF 1st Pl '13
WV St. FCGF 1st Pl '12 '13
OH St. FCGF 1st Pl '14
NJ St. FCGF 1st Pl '15
PA St. GF Champ '15
SASS Regulator
Matts BasterSon SASS 74843
SASS 74843
Active citizen

« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2006, 10:41:05 am »

My troops had to carry the obligatory M9 (Baretta 9mm). I got to carry a Sig 229. Carried that until I joined the shooting team, then got a Gold Cup. Loved that gun. Carried it all day every day, shot it several times a week. Never had a malfunction.

“No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that’s in the right and keeps on a-comin.” Ranger Creed

This republic was not established by cowards; and cowards will not preserve it.
- Elmer Davis
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains

« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2006, 10:52:03 am »

My first was a 1911A1 Remington Rand.  I was an MP in 1974.  Went into MPI and trded it for a model 10 2" 38 Spcl (though on every 4th day when I was duty investigator, I still checked out my 45!)  My first civilian Duty gun in 1977 was a Model 66 4 inch.  The sgt. gave me the gun and a box of 50 Remington 125 grn JHP 357s.  I asked when I got more ammo, and he said "When you bring me 50 dead bodies and 50 empty cases, son, I'll give you another box!"

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators
Marshal Trace McCloud
Citizen

"String 'em up, it'll teach 'em a lesson."

« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2007, 04:45:13 am »

Howdy,

Back to my beginning in civilian LE, 1971, the department I started with didn't buy your handgun, you did and you could chose between a Smith or a Colt .38 or .357.  I found a new 4" blued Colt Python .357 at a fair price and carried it for many years.  After we switched to auto loaders, I later sold it when I was hard up for money.  Now I wish I had kept it. 

I'm with a different department now and we still have to buy our own handguns.  We have the choice of about any quality brand and caliber.  They decided a long time ago that sharing ammo wasn't a big concern.  In fact, if you done used up all your ammo and didn't stop the threat, do ya really think I'm going to give you mine?!!!  Grin

Well, like others have said, it was fun reminiscing.  Have a good day ya all.

SASS #70954 Life
BOLD #748
RATS #304
River Junction Shootist Society
Rosco MacGRUFF
There is no try, there is only do or do not
Citizen

« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2007, 04:25:30 pm »

After reading the posts,,,,,,,,, Im feelin like a pup (only in the game now for 9 years).  My first gun and still is a Glock 22.  The only change is that I went fron a 2nd Generation to a 3rd Gen. (one with the rails).  God bless ya'll who made till retirement!  I've got some time to go and some more roads to travel

SASS 62755
BOLD 635
RATS 318
Business Days ; Badge #39
Arcey
Underlord of Soot
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2007, 09:49:33 am »

Rosco, I’ll be easy ta catch up with.  All ya got left is twenty three years.  I’d swap with ya if I could.

Maybe a l’il off topic, boys.  I’m an ole time, die hard S&W double action revolver fan.  I’ve had and still have a pile of ‘em.  Still have the last one I was issued ‘n carried on duty, a 64.  No one, ‘n I mean no one, kicked ‘n screamed any worse than I did when the department decided to go to self shuckers ‘n took my revolver away.

But, I gottah tell ya.  Went to the police range to qualify to keep my HR 218 certification last week.  There I sat in the classroom with my carry Glock, mag out slide back ‘n locked for inspection, in front of me.  Off to the right was someone with an old S&W 36.  Cylinder all hangin’ out.  Gottah tell y’all, it looked like such an antique to me.  Five cartridges ‘n I had eleven, after market floor plate for the 26’s mag.  Eleven in a pistol I can shoot a group with at seven yards ya can cover with a Zippo lighter.

I’d have never, ever thought I’d be converted.  But these days I’m collectin’ Glocks like I did Smiths years ago.  Just stuck a 34 on lay away.  Can’t hardly wait ‘til the taxes are done and I get my grubby l’il hands on it.

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.
Bad Blueridge Bob
Citizen

« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2007, 11:05:53 am »

My first duty pistol was a Smith & Wesson Model 10 .38 Spl. with a 4" bull barrel fine shooting peice. The next issued peice was a Smith & Wesson Model 66 .357 Mag. 4" barrel with stainless rear sights (1st Model). When I made Detective I changed from a Model 66 to a Model 60 .38Spl. 2" barrel. I felt a little light carring only the model 60 so with permission of the Chief I was allowed to carry a model 66 .357 Mag. 2 1/2" barrel. I carried that until we went to Sig Sauer P220's .45ACP and I carried that until shortly before I retired when we switched over to Glock's and I was issued a Glock 30 .45ACP (uniformed folks got the Glock 21). After I retired in North Carolina (1974 until 2000) , I went to work for the Federal Government my first issue with them was a Beretta model 92D slick slide 9mm and for the past 4 years I have had the Glock 23 .40, I guess that will be my last issue.

BOLD #7
BOSS #158
RATS #340
FBI/NA 179th
Saint John's #3 AF&AM
USMC
USCGR
Sir Charles deMouton-Black
THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2007, 09:08:50 pm »

My only "duty pistol" as a Canadian Army officer was the INGLIS made version of the Browning Hi-Power.  A generation before its time, and still a pistol one can carry with confidence.  I have a 1911 (NOT A1!) a Webley Mk VI and other ex-military pieces but my prize is a MINT Inglis Hi-Power.  Remember that these pistols were made during WWII for China, Canada and the UK.

I'm not an LEO, but I have been a prosecutor for over 15 years.  Hope you don't think me an interloper.

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”
Marshal Tac
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2007, 12:19:37 pm »

Sir Charles... Prosecutors are still on the right side of the "Good vs. Evil" debate, so you can ride with my posse anytime... and I even promise to keep the "Lawyer" jokes to a minimum.... and occasionally use the term without sounding like I just currsed!  Wink Grin

-Marshal Tac
"Well Mayor, I think we did our good deed for the day."
BOLD #763
SBSS #1909
Griff
Top Active Citizen

Speed Junky

« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2007, 01:49:19 pm »

... and I even promise to keep the "Lawyer" jokes to a minimum...
THEM ARE JOKES?! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Life
Tim Burrattler
Active citizen

« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2007, 10:46:16 am »

S&W Mod 681, bought myself. Now issued a Glock 22 & 23. I've also got my dad's last carry gun, a nickle Python

SASS 16351L *  BOLD 710 *  RATS 336 * SBSS 1961
Elmer Watson
Citizen

« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2007, 07:45:24 pm »

My first duty revolver was a 6" Highway Patrolman(1973).  I carried that until the sheriff issued every body model 59's 9MM that were were recalled after two months (due to very poor quality control issues )and replaced with 4 " model 66's.  We carried 125 grain .357 mag rounds until there were problems with qualification and then ended up with 110 grain .357 mag rounds.  We also changed from 00 buckshot to #4 buckshot as well.

BOLD # 864
RATS # 373
Eagle Eyes Jefferson
Chaplain for Department of the Atlantic
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2007, 08:37:15 am »

Might as well chime in here, too!! First duty weapon was a S & W model 10 with 4 inch pencil barrel nickel plated. We carried 6 extra rounds in a belt dump pouch and the holster was an old "suicide Strap" (border patrol)style. We transitioned to Beretta 9mm's and in March 2008 will go to the .40 cal.

EEJ

Eagle Eyes Jefferson
Chaplain for Department of the Atlantic
GAF #478
Department of the Atlantic
BOLD #893
Captain Rob Page
NCOWS
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2007, 10:13:45 am »

S& W Model 19, then a S&W Model 686 and finally a Sig 220. They are all excellent duty weapons. The 220 will be my last.
dutchy
PISTOLARO .
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2007, 10:23:38 am »

S&w model 10  then to Ruger GP 100 , to Sig 9mm and last but not least S&W 9mm RCMP Model  Now retired and carry a pair of 51 Navy RM conversions ...the best of all Smiley

dutchie

"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Knight77
Citizen

« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2008, 02:38:33 pm »

It was 1979 and I was proud to strap on a brand new Smith model 19 with a 4" bbl.  Loaded it with Remington 125 grainers. 
Yul Catchum
Citizen

« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2008, 11:25:30 am »

Model 10 with a heavy barrel.
Member oif the Quick draw team had it before me. The trigger was so light that I had an AD with it less than an hour after they handed it to me. I returned it to the Armory and it scared the Amorer so much he issued me a NIB stainless Model 64 that was only going to Desk Jockeys who wouldn't wear the new guns out with a lot of needless shooting. Just like the new Units would be assgined to people who never FRIGGING went anywhere while the Patrolmen drove death traps and rolling wrecks.

Ahh the Good Old days, when Chiefs were miserable SOB's that made our Lives something to really compl;ain about. not like these mamby-oambies who complain if they have to work 15 minutes over now days. No! We walked to work a mile in the snow, UP HILL both ways for the pleasure of getting chewed out by a sergeant who was proud he had an IQ lower than tire pressure.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  BOLD Chambers (Moderator: California Lawdawg)  |  Topic: First duty pistol « previous next »
Jump to: