Author Topic: Report from the Commisarry Dept on the 2011 Dept of the Missouri Muster  (Read 5900 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
The Commissary Dept originally planned on arriving late Wednesday, but do to the purchase of a new barracks/cook shack, the trip was delayed till Thursday.  My assistant Salt Crick Rick was not able to make it, but I arrived around 1430 at Camp Pitspiter and made camp.

Supper was cheese steaks on biscuits with apple cobbler.

After supper there was a lot of stories told around the fire, some involving ducks:

Friday morning the sky was beautiful:

The fire was built up from the embers of the night before, wood was plenty which makes the cook’s job easier:

There was evidence of a bit of drinking of root beer the night before still in camp:

Breakfast consisted of plenty of bacon and fried taters with the left over cheese from the cheese steaks added to the taters:

Noon meal was chicken and rice with tamaters, more cobbler and biscuit.

Supper was Czech style pork and kraut with tater dumplings, rye bread and apricot cobbler.  The troops were so full desert was forgotten about.  One surprise was the amount of bull frogs who made noise all night long.

The disaster of the rye bread on the first try was corrected after what looked like caraway seeds started leaving the bread, fresh flour was obtained and the caraway seeds behaved after that.

Breakfast on Saturday consisted of scrambled eggs and some fine sausage made at The Corner Grocery Store in Sargent.

Do to it’s old age my cupboard was also missing, but my camp stool worked as a place to grind coffee and my spice box served as a stool:

Coffee as can be seen behind the dutch ovens was kept for those who wanted it:

along with some new drink called Gatorade as well as plenty of iced tea, the tea kettle to brew it is seen here:

Noon on Saturday was Beef and Noodles, with my homemade long, thick and wide noodles as well as some of the neglected cobbler and more of the rye bread.

Saturday night was Meat loaf made with fresh ground beef and sausage from the same place in Sargent along with left over cobbler and bread plus some warmed up left over from previous meals.

Breakfast Sunday was some of the same sausage made into gravy with biscuits.

Camp was packed in the early afternoon and I departed to my new barracks.

I will add some miscellaneous pictures from around camp later.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Report from the Commisarry Dept on the 2011 Dept of the Missouri Muster
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 06:54:34 PM »
Really nice pictures.  Looks like the food was worth the journey for folks.  Now that you got my gut juice flowing, I need to go fix some dinner.  The taters with cheese has me thinking.   :D

;D
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 10:01:13 PM »
The food was indeed excellent!  And the stories are always entertaining!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Advertising

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 12:09:29 AM »
Delmonico always does a great job at the fire feeding the troops.  ;D

For next summer's Muster I'm gonna fetch him a bunch of "right-off-the-tree" mulberries to make up some cobbler.
And if the Muster is too late in the season, they may turn into mulberry wine for dessert.

Anyhow---Great job, Del.

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 08:54:09 AM »
Sounds good Greg, Grandma always made her pies and cobblers with apples when she used mulberries.  A great combo.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 09:31:31 AM »
Del always puts out some good grub. I have dined on his bill of fare on numerous occasions and it has always been top quality. My two favorites are biscuits and gravy, and Chicken Fried Steak.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 10:25:55 PM »
The food looks good. I see ya had the good Root Beer.  ;)

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com