Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2017, 09:48:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1876 (Moderator: Grizzly Adams)  |  Topic: Loading Data for the 45-60 WCF 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Loading Data for the 45-60 WCF  (Read 71395 times)
Jake C
Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #125 on: August 24, 2015, 09:41:35 am »

Got a quick question for you good folks. With a Uberti replica '76, there's no issue with using hard lead bullets, right? I know with originals, you want to keep it soft, but when I get my '76, I was planning on using the Missouri Bullet Co.'s 300 grain RNFPs, which have a brittle of 18. Figured I'd ask before I spent my money.

Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800
larryo_1
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #126 on: August 24, 2015, 03:07:05 pm »

Jake:
I do not have a 45-60 but, rather a 45-75. You can use hard lead bullets if you want but I use 16:1 bullets of my own alloy.  I have tried the hard lead ones but my rifle did not like them very much.  The bullets that I use are cast from a custom Hoch mold and are for the 350 grain bullet.  Now, my suggestion would be to find someone who might part with a few of those hard ones to try first before spending a bunch of money on a bunch of them. Now I am not saying that they are bad or whatnot as each rifle has its own pecularities about what it likes the most.  Mine--after a whole bunch of trials and errors seems to like what I am using.  I do n ot know if this helps you or not but figgured that it might help you a mite.

When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member
Jake C
Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #127 on: August 24, 2015, 03:23:47 pm »

Jake:
I do not have a 45-60 but, rather a 45-75. You can use hard lead bullets if you want but I use 16:1 bullets of my own alloy.  I have tried the hard lead ones but my rifle did not like them very much.  The bullets that I use are cast from a custom Hoch mold and are for the 350 grain bullet.  Now, my suggestion would be to find someone who might part with a few of those hard ones to try first before spending a bunch of money on a bunch of them. Now I am not saying that they are bad or whatnot as each rifle has its own pecularities about what it likes the most.  Mine--after a whole bunch of trials and errors seems to like what I am using.  I do n ot know if this helps you or not but figgured that it might help you a mite.

Thank you, much appreciated. I think Missouri Bullet Co. sells sample packs of their bullets, so I'll grab one of those, when that day comes and try them. If those don't work, I'll try to find a company that sells soft-cast bullets in the right size/weight.

Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800
Gabriel Law
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #128 on: August 25, 2015, 06:54:42 pm »

Hard bullets leaded my bore badly in my Uberti '76 45-60.  Accuracy suffers when a barrel leads up.
Grapeshot
Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
Top Active Citizen

WARTHOG

« Reply #129 on: October 06, 2015, 10:22:39 pm »

Stick with soft lead at 20:1 Lead/Tin mix.  If you need it harder add TIN.  This will allow the boolit to obdurate and fill the bore and keep the hot gases behind the boolit where it belongs.

{Of course you can use Jacketed bullets.}

Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.
DTS
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #130 on: November 14, 2015, 04:49:35 pm »

Thank you, much appreciated. I think Missouri Bullet Co. sells sample packs of their bullets, so I'll grab one of those, when that day comes and try them. If those don't work, I'll try to find a company that sells soft-cast bullets in the right size/weight.

My brother's .45/60 M76 leads badly with trail boss loads using hard commercial bullets, but the rifle's accuracy was still very good yesterday, at 100 meters.
With soft bullets, no leading.
matt45
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #131 on: November 21, 2016, 10:04:45 am »

Question for the board- with Black powder loads, has anyone ever tried enlarging the flash hole to .096?  This is a must for my old trapdoor- considering that considerable powder compaction happens w/ the 45-60, I was wondering if it helped?
Buzzard Bayne
Citizen

« Reply #132 on: March 10, 2017, 11:01:05 am »

I have a Uberti 1876 in 45-60.  I worked up some loads using the 350 grain Plated Flat Point from Berry's Bullets.  I used IMR 4198, Jamison Brass, and CCI 200 primers.  I shot five shot groups

Grains   Average FPS     SD
25.0      1224               36.4
25.5      1266               30.7
26.0      1284               21.8

All shot less than 2 inch groups at 100 yards. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1876 (Moderator: Grizzly Adams)  |  Topic: Loading Data for the 45-60 WCF « previous next »
Jump to: