Author Topic: Spencer Rifle With Octagon Bull Barrel and Set Triggers * PHOTOS & LINKS ADDED *  (Read 9631 times)

Offline Sac River Mike

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I am new to this Forum and have a Spencer rifle that is unusual.  This rifle has been changed to an octagon barrel, very long and heavy walled.  The rifle has set triggers that work.  The front site is missing; there is a fairly large slot milled into the front of the barrel where the site would be installed.  The rifle is not in particularly great shape and with the different barrel the model number of the rifle is gone (where it would say Model 1860).  The serial number is 33479.  The front stock is cracked, I have it off the rifle and it pins into the barrel with a wedge type of mechanism.  Can anyone tell me if there is information about this rifle, where it was first issued, later converted and what the purpose would have been?  It would have seemed that there were more powerful rifles available than the Spencer at the time; who would have converted this rifle for long range shooting?  

Here are some pictures of my Spencer rifle.  As you can see it is equipped with double triggers (they work very cleanly, seem to be adjusted well and are crisp).  The serial number is to the left of the hammer, 33,479.  The front stock is blackened at the end by the barrel; it is missing a piece of wood on the right side.  I have that piece of wood; it was sealed in an envelope many years ago.  I think there has to be some history behind this rifle.  The rear stock is solid, missing the rear swivel (although I have heard this was intentional on these conversions, no one was slinging these on their backs).  It is also missing the rear cover on the rear butt plate and the internals.  I would guess that the installation of set triggers and the long octagon barrel eliminated the need for rapid fire.  There are no names on the barrel that I can find.  The sights look like they were knocked off at some point.  I am trying to give the most accurate description that I can.  Somebody used this rifle pretty heavily.  See pics.  

Thanks,

Sac River Mike

(Photos added by Two Flints)

Thanks to all who share information, what a great site!

Sac River Mike

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
Re: Spencer Rifle With Octagon Bull Barrel and Set Triggers
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 12:10:23 PM »
It sounds like a GEMMER conversion, or at least a Gemmer style.

Gemmer was the guy that took over the Hawken works.  He made Hawken style rifles with either a BP type Sharps action ,or later, and more common, on the Spencer action.

Pictures would help.  (I am not a Spencer or Hawken "expert".)
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 01:44:37 PM »
Sac River Mike,

Thanks for joining SSS ;D ;D

Does your Spencer look like these - check the links:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,10019.0.html 

or this one

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,10629.msg129644.html#msg129644

Also, do a search on the SSS site using the search words - "Gemmer Spencer" or "Buffalo Spencer" and see what you get for more links.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Advertising

Offline Sac River Mike

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 03:27:10 PM »

I looked at both of the rifle links you added.  It is definitely like the Gemmer Spencer as the barrel is full octagon, thick walled and long.  The stock looks original, and there are no markings on the barrel stating Gemmer.  The unusual feature is the installation of a second trigger (set trigger) in rear, that when clicked makes the front trigger very very sensitive.  This is not unusual for any rifle having set triggers, but this is the only one I have ever seen on a Spencer.  Have you seen that conversion anywhere? 

I think the serial number, 33479, shows it was issued somewhere in New York.  That is not certain, just what I have read here on the site.  If you know anything about this I would be interested to hear about it.  I will take some measurements and pictures of the rifle.  It is somewhat rough but seems to be quite functional. 

I have a Sharps Carbine that I will pull out and look at it since I see you also may have information on those. 

Thanks to everyone for looking at this.  I have had these rifles for some time and just found this site today!

Sac River Mike

Offline Two Flints

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 03:35:31 PM »
Mike,

Here is another link for you ;D ;D

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin/product_details.php?itemID=20773

Detailed, close-up photos of your Spencer would be interesting to see.  Where is the serial # located on your Spencer?  If you don't know how to post your photos, send them to me and I will add them to your thread/post.  Just not too many.  Someone once sent me 26 photos of his Spencer, I couldn't post them all!  Just takes too long.  Five or six should be plenty - especially of the barrel and receiver areas.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Sac River Mike

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 05:58:27 PM »

Two Flints,  I think I may need you to send me your email address.  I tried to post pictures of my Spencer rifle and the action timed out three times.  I will send you the pics, use whatever you like to share with the group. 

Thanks,

Sac River Mike

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 08:05:48 PM »
I've always found these "Gemmerized" Spencers interesting.Given the relative low power of the cartridge compared to what was available at the time,when you see them they all seem to be in heavily used condition.Makes you wish some of them could tell of their adventures.Anyone have any period pictures of these with their owners?

Offline Two Flints

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 06:01:04 AM »

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69