Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 06:12:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  GENERAL TOPICS  |  Books & Movies (Moderator: Marshal Halloway)  |  Topic: Photographic goofs in westerns 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Photographic goofs in westerns  (Read 24866 times)
Harley Starr
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2011, 07:47:54 am »

How is the belt AND suspenders a goof ? Some people dress that way ?

It wasn't really a goof to begin with. It was just an actor making fun of the director.

"I went out there"
"In search of experience"
"To taste and to touch"
"And to feel as much"
"As a man can"
"Before he repents"
Johnny Cash-- The Wanderer
pmazan
Citizen

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2011, 10:21:28 am »

Check out the movie, Patton. In almost every photo I have seen of the real General Patton, when he was wearing both his Colt Single Action and his S&W .357 Magnum, the Colt is on the right side. In the opening scene in front of the flag, he has the S&W on his right hip and the SA on his left hip. Later in the movie they are reversed. This means the prop people had to have both a right and a left holster for each gun. Why?

When Patton is in the street shooting at the German bomber he is shooting a 1903 Colt General officers automatic.
pmazan
Citizen

« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2011, 10:37:05 am »

Eldarado is full of goofs. In fact rather than try to retake shots they simply wrote the most obivous intyo the script.
Mitchum: You've got the crutch under the wrong arm
Wayne: How would you know, you've been walking around with it fitst under one arm and then the other.

Bull: The first time in a long time i feel like doin' nothing for you and you don't want me to do it

Mitchum: was ther something wrong with that or am I still drunk
Old Doc
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2011, 12:07:01 pm »

When Patton is in the street shooting at the German bomber he is shooting a 1903 Colt General officers automatic.
Which is another one of the guns he frequently carried, often concealed.
Old Doc
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2011, 09:12:37 am »

I always seem to notice holster rigs in westerns. I watched a Rifleman episode over the weekend, in which Claude Akins is a professional gunfighter hired to guard a bank. He is wearing a nice two gun rig with what appear to be metal-lined holsters, probably by Arvo Ojala. In the final confrontation, between Lucas McCain and Claude Akins, Akins is shot from the saddle and with one foot stuck in the stirrup, dragged through the dusty street by his horse. As the camera pans to his body being dragged by the horse, the fancy two gun Ojala rig has been replaced by a beat up looking Mexican loop holster and belt.
It reminded me of an episode I once saw of Cheyenne, who over the life of the series, wore at least three different rigs, most of which appeared to be the metal-lined Ojala style. In one episode, in which he wears the Ojala rig, he is involved in a fist fight in the middle of a stream, as he emerges soaking wet from the water, his Ojala rig has morphed into a very plain beat up holster and belt. I was glad that, seeing a water fight coming, he had the good sense to protect that Ojala rig by changing belts and holster.
Forty Rod
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2011, 10:47:18 am »

Watched The Valachi Papers this weekend. Charles Bronson is playing Valachi starting in the 1920s and going up to about 1960 something.  In every scene where they are riding in really fine old period cars, the cars around them are '60s models.

People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.
Old Doc
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2011, 09:14:03 pm »

I saw Randolh Scott recently in "Colt 45". I'm still trying to understand why they didn't name it "Colt 44". The plot, for those who haven't seen it, has Scott as a gun salesman going around demonstrating the new "Colt 45", which they are marketing only to law enforcement officers before releasing them to the public. The selling point is that these guns are "six shooters" instead of single shots. I don't know much about Colt cap and ball guns but these appear to be Dragoons, which I believe were 44 caliber. So why "Colt 45". Seems like it should have been about him selling the new Single Action cartridge gun the Colt 45 and touting its advantgaes over the older cap and ball guns. To their credit, every one else did seem to be carrying Remington single shot rolling blocks. I half expected all the extras to be carrying single actions. By the way, everyone in the movie had on the most god-awful looking holsters you ever saw.
Old Doc
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2011, 09:20:01 am »

Whoops ! Just saw another one. As I type this, the Westerns Channel is showing "Target", an old black and white western featuring Tim Holt. In one scene, the female lead is trying to demonstrate, that she's as good and tough as any man. To demonstrate, she graps a sixgun. They are indoors and she picks out 4 bottles sitting on top of a cabinet about 5 feet off of the ground. One by one, she blasts the bottles sending glass fragments flying. Only problem is, the wall standing 4-5 inches behind the bottles, shows no evidence of bullet holes.
Drayton Calhoun
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2011, 07:59:08 pm »

Whoops ! Just saw another one. As I type this, the Westerns Channel is showing "Target", an old black and white western featuring Tim Holt. In one scene, the female lead is trying to demonstrate, that she's as good and tough as any man. To demonstrate, she graps a sixgun. They are indoors and she picks out 4 bottles sitting on top of a cabinet about 5 feet off of the ground. One by one, she blasts the bottles sending glass fragments flying. Only problem is, the wall standing 4-5 inches behind the bottles, shows no evidence of bullet holes.
An folks think 'safety slugs' are a new concept! LOL

The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.
HolliferADollar
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2012, 07:57:44 am »

I watched Tombstone last week & counted the number of shots Curly Bill made after coming from the opium den.  2 Colt revolvers, no reloads, 24 shots...not including the one he used to kill the marshal while surrendering his guns.

Panhandle Cattle Company
Big Bend Bushwhackers
Panhandle Cowboys
SASS #91847
1860 Henry roster #151
Old Doc
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2012, 08:37:16 am »

Doesn't qualify as a western movie but the other night I am watching one of the gazillion new gun shows on TV, most of which are pretty lame. In the show they are comparing the flintlock, to the 1873 Colt SAA, to a modern semi auto. It was bad enough that while talking about the Colt, they kept showing drawings of a Schofield and a Remington 1875 but when they showed secenes of how you load the Colt, the loading gate was on the wrong side of the gun as was the watch and ring of the shooter. The film had somehow been reversed for that one scene.
Thomas (Tom) Horn aka James Hicks
Top Active Citizen

SASS#86684 Wartrace Regulators

« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2012, 01:38:20 am »

Appaloosa- Scene where Everett is coming out of the barber shop and town elderman is waiting on him to question Everett about Virgil Cole (the marshal) beating a man with his fists in the saloon from the night before. Everett Hitch is carrying his 10ga... as they walk down the street talking, you can see the 10ga does not have a metal butt plate...raw wood showing. Then with a blink of the eye, the shotgun has a butt plate... hmmmm

Open Range in the shoot out... next time you folks watch it... count the bullets that Costner fires from his Winchester '73 at the beginning of the gunplay after Costner shoots the hired gun in the head. Hollywood.... some things never change.

"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."
Old Doc
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2012, 06:21:23 am »

Appaloosa- Scene where Everett is coming out of the barber shop and town elderman is waiting on him to question Everett about Virgil Cole (the marshal) beating a man with his fists in the saloon from the night before. Everett Hitch is carrying his 10ga... as they walk down the street talking, you can see the 10ga does not have a metal butt plate...raw wood showing. Then with a blink of the eye, the shotgun has a butt plate... hmmmm

Open Range in the shoot out... next time you folks watch it... count the bullets that Costner fires from his Winchester '73 at the beginning of the gunplay after Costner shoots the hired gun in the head. Hollywood.... some things never change.
You mean his Colt, don't you ? Costner was not carrying a rifle.
PJ Hardtack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2012, 08:29:00 pm »

I thought that I paid attention to detail, but you guys make me feel like a blind man! How 'bout a list of movies where they got the tack, guns and holsters RIGHT! Ought to be a short list .....

I was looking for gun boo-boos in "War Horse", and if there were any, I missed them. No Landjaegers with Lee-Enfields or Tommies with Mausers. I liked the shoulder stocked P-'08 carried by the German Officer.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne
Old Doc
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2012, 09:45:04 pm »

Apparently, it hasn't gotten any better in "modern" westerns. In the premier episode of the new AMC show, Longmire, the victim is killed with a slug from a .45-70, which somehow they find in snow, 2 feet deep, 30 feet from the body . The sheriff consults his local gun expert, who informs him, that only antique guns were chambered for .45-70 and therefore, the killer must have used a Sharps. The rest of the show they spend looking for the owner of a Sharps. Moral to the story is if you are going to kill someone in that part of the West, use a Marlin Guide Gun. They'll never find you.
Drayton Calhoun
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2012, 12:11:39 am »

In Hannie Caulder Christoper Lee 'custom builds' her a revolver...a double trigger Tranter.

The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.
PJ Hardtack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2012, 06:45:28 pm »

I've got a .450 Army Tranter (single trigger); looks like something Sherlock Holmes would have carried.

I'd love to see some frontier 'smith pound out one of these on his anvil .....  ;>)

I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne
Drayton Calhoun
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2012, 12:49:31 am »

When I was in Spain back in 88, I stopped in an antique store that had two Tranters for sale for what amounted to about 100 bucks each. Unfortunately, I was on the USS Forrestal and our C.O. was an anti-gunner so, our Beretta gun sale that was traditional was nixed and ANY firearm purchases were forbidden. Suffice to say I was a bit perturbed...

PJ Hardtack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2012, 09:41:57 am »

There is something fundamentally wrong with a professional Naval Officer, (a man sworn to defend your Constitution against enemies, domestic or foreign) misusing his power and authority in such a manner.

Captain of a ship with more firepower than several WW II bomber wings and he's "anti-gun" - right ..... a scenario worthy of a Monty Python skit. What he was saying was that he didn't trust his crew with personal weapons which could have been secured somewhere onboard. That is a leadership failure. "O" tolerance is an admission that no solution can be found for a particular situation; the default position of poor management.

Politicians, b'crats and PC 'do-gooders' similarly misuse power and authority to enforce their anti-gun agenda. "It has nothing to do with power - it's all about control".

Drayton Calhoun
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2012, 01:12:32 am »

He was not fondly thought of by the crew. What really ticked me was, I had been planning on getting a Beretta 12 ga, over and under percussion shotgun. Our price was 275.00 the cost back here was over 700.00. Ah, well, no point getting pissed at the past.

Crow Choker
Top Active Citizen

River Banker Extraordinaire

« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2012, 08:20:05 pm »

Back in the mid-60's, there was a near by 'big city' (30,000 pop, but bigger than the 1000 pop I lived by), that had three show houses. Two of them showed all the recent movies fresh from 'Holly-wierd' and the third was known to show all the 'cheapies'. My Mom always told us not to go there as rats and mice were reported to be 'free grazers' between the seats. Went there a few times just to laugh at the poor production of 'cheap' movies. The only one I can remember anything about was some western, whose title has long been forgotten, that had so many 'goofs' in it that a friend and I laughed till our sides hurt. Of course, all the guns could be shot several hundred times before needing any reloading, but the two things I'll never forget were really standouts. One scene that involved the 'settlers' heading west showed them standing in sandy areas with rubber tire tracks with heavy mud and snow type tread criss-crossing the wagon train path. This happened three or four times. The other standout was when the Indians were attacking the circled wagon train, riding around in a circle firing their rifles at the outnumbered settlers. One of the "Indians" while in full gallop lost his hair, ie. got his scalp lifted and the skin that had been hidden by the wig was a 'Whiter Shade of Pale' than the rest of him. Musta greased himself up with 'Coppertone' or something. Thing is, in several other scenes of the Indians riding around the wagon train, the same Indian was goin like 'H', with a crew-cut type haircut, still firing his rifle. Quess they didn't want to stop the camera's rollin' and take him out. Remember the wig to, it was parted down the middle with both sides braided. Still can see these scenes after 45 some years of seeing that movie. Anyone ever see it and recall its title? It was 'a goody'!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo
Old Doc
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2012, 09:49:22 pm »

I know this one is routine but nonetheless....the other morning I am watching a movie on the Westerns Channel. I believe it was called "Black Dakotas". The townspeople refer repeatedly to their then President, Abraham Lincoln in the present tense. Of course they are all wearing 1873 Colt SAA's and holding 1892 Winchesters.
Crossdrawnj
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2012, 10:00:54 am »

I just noticed this in John Wayne's True Grit just last night. Even after watching this movie dozens of times (its the only one my daughter will watch) I noticed the scene after Mattie falls in the snake pit. JW repels down into the pit, draws and shoots at the snake and hits the ground. He helps Mattie out of the hole and she asks for her fathers gun. JW turns to pick it up, and as he bends over he is not wearing a gun belt. The next scene he turns to climb up the rope, and the gun belt is back on. 

Never noticed this before.

Crossdraw
Coal Creek Griff
Top Active Citizen

With Cheyenne Luke

« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2012, 11:23:43 pm »

You're right!  I just pulled out my DVD and took a look.  I'm amazed that I haven't noticed that before.  It was all I could do to resist watching the movie from the beginning, but I'm supposed to be in bed in an hour.

By the way, in "The Plainsman" with Gary Cooper, I noticed an Indian threatening Calamity Jane and Buffalo Bill's wife with a Henry rifle (in 1936, an original).  The bolt was forward and the hammer down, but the lever was in the down/forward position. Not a photographic goof, but the rifle wasn't much of a threat in that condition.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573
Old Doc
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2012, 04:45:50 pm »

I was watching The Raiders today on the Westerns Channel . At some point, a guy gets pistol-whipped and as his attacker returns his gun to its holster, it's obvious that it is a rubber gun. I wonder if it's the same one used by Ron Howard in the Shootist. I've read that the guns used by Wayne in that movie were his personal engraved Great Westerns, not Colts. In the final scene, Ron Howard picks up one of the dying Wayne's guns and uses it to kill the bartender, then in some fit of symbolism, hurls the gun away, the thrown gun being a rubber stand-in for the Great Western.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  GENERAL TOPICS  |  Books & Movies (Moderator: Marshal Halloway)  |  Topic: Photographic goofs in westerns « previous next »
Jump to: