Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2017, 12:31:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  WESTERN 3 GUN (Moderators: Sam Houston, Black Jack Traven)  |  Topic: W3G - if you haven't done it, you have to try it. 5* 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: W3G - if you haven't done it, you have to try it. 5*  (Read 4792 times)
Big Bear Johnson
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Active citizen

SASS #13968

« on: January 10, 2010, 09:07:04 pm »

I took my boys out to try Western 3 gun for the first time today.
I've been shooting SASS since about '96 and my boys have shot 2 SASS matches ever.

W3G is a lot of fun and is easier to transition to than I thought it would be.

Thanks to the Deadwood Boys for an excellent day.

Big Bear Johnson
aka Glen Darcey

SASS #13968
Ruby's Rangers #2
ex-Cajon Cowboy
ex-Coto Cowboy
ex-Silver Queen Mine Regulator
ex-honorary Nevada Ranger

Current Deadwood Boy
Rambling Rex
Citizen

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 04:52:31 pm »

Big Bear,

Can you elaborate some on the differences between W3G and SASS, and the differences in your experience between the two? Much appreciated.
Black Jack Traven
Deputy Marshal
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 12:03:57 pm »

Let me take a stab at it.

The two differences that I notice are the movement and the way I engage the stage.

Where as SASS style shooting overwhelmingly has no more than a position per gun and usually only two or three positions, W3G is a much more dynamic game. Shooting can occur anywhere along a defined path. The shooter starts at point A and can move anywhere along a defined path and finishes when the shooter is satisfied that he has engaged all targets. The shooter can choose to stop and shoot where he wishes or shoot without ever stopping if he feels comfortable and is safe doing so. I find this allows me to step out of the same old thing and into a much more dimensional game.

How I engage the stage changes greatly. SASS style has the stage writer demand, in great detail, how to shoot the stage. It tells the position, the target order and when to move. W3G has a defined area the shooter can be in. It defines where guns are staged. It defines how many times a target must be hit. The shooter then determines for himself how to safely engage the targets, the shooting position and the target order. This develops into a friendly competition between the shooter and the stage designer. Can I, as a shooter, see how the stage designer thought I would best shoot the stage? Can I, as the shooter, determine a safe way to shoot the stage that the designer had not thought of that allows me to complete it more quickly.

One other difference I notice is the limits I reach. In SASS style, my limits are generally around how fast I can manipulate the guns. In W3G, I more often run into the limits of how fast I can see. Targets may only be visible in a few square feet. I need to be moving to save time but looking fast enough to see that next target come into view before moving past it. I need to be looking in the correct direction. I need to think about so much more than simple target order.

I hope others chime in here. Bottom line is that W3G can be shot exactly the way SASS is (with more motion) or it can be shot in a much more fluid, dynamic style that opens a whole new world of challenge and adventure.

Very Best Regards,
BJT
Rambling Rex
Citizen

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 05:02:26 pm »

Thanks so much for the info, Black Jack! Very informative, much appreciated.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  WESTERN 3 GUN (Moderators: Sam Houston, Black Jack Traven)  |  Topic: W3G - if you haven't done it, you have to try it. 5* « previous next »
Jump to: