Author Topic: . . . Pietta quality . . ?  (Read 10972 times)

Offline Wolfgang

• Top Active Citizen
    • The Desperate Hot Springs News
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
. . . Pietta quality . . ?
« on: January 10, 2010, 06:48:12 AM »
I love my Pietta '58 Remingtons. I didn't "choose" to buy Piettas. I knew about nothing regarding single action and cap & ball pistols and was looking for an inexpensive pistol to try out single action black powder shooting. I saw a brass frame '58 by Pietta on "Gunbroker" that was a good by and so bought it. I loved it and already having one I have stuck with Piettas for interchangability of parts and cylinders. ( I also have aquired a couple of ASM '58s . . but only as they came to me as part of deals on other stuff ). I have not needed to do any internal work on any of them.

Anyhow . . . . I just last night exchanged p.messages with a pard who is having trouble with out of the box '58s purchased from Cabelas. I checked my insurance inventory and found that all of my Piettas were made from '97 - '99 except for one that is 2005. I was under the impression that current production Pietta quality was excellent. Anyone else exprienceing problems with current production Pietta pistols ?
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Offline R. Flux

• Citizen
  • R. Flux
  • Liked:
Re: . . . Pietta quality . . ?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 08:12:36 AM »
I have a 1858 Pietta in stainless with a 5 1/2 " barrel, proofed in 2009 and from Cabelas.  It required a little stoning and polish but it runs GREAT!  It is as smooth as some S&W revolvers I've had in the past.  I've run several hundred rounds through it and am very pleased.  A spare cylinder works well too.  Fit and finish are very nice, however the grip wood is unremarkable.  Looking forward to adding a conversion cylinder to it soon.
~R. Flux

Offline Wolfgang

• Top Active Citizen
    • The Desperate Hot Springs News
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 09:26:12 AM »
I got a bunch of replies to the same post on the SASS wire . . . . and it seems to me the pard that was P.Message ing me just happened to get a lemon ( or a couple ) . . that does happen. Cabelas is real good about exchanges.

Thanks for the posts. I always refer folks to Pietta and to Cabelas    :)
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:16:22 AM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 10:17:12 AM »
When you consider that Pietta can buy the steel and wood, make them into guns, and ship them half-way around the world and sell them for $200.00, it's pretty amazing.  They obviously can't test and hand fit each and every part so sometimes they work perfect, sometimes not so perfect.  I consider all the C&B's from Pietta and Uberti to be deluxe do-it-yourself kits.  I like to get them, completely disassemble them, and tune and inspect all parts before they are ever fired.  If possible, I like to get them before anyone has cocked them many times because many need the bolt adjusted before they start wearing the cylinder notches.  My thought has always been that if someone is going to shoot cap and ball they need to be a little more knowledgeable and able to work on guns that the guy that has to send his new single action army to a gunsmith just to have an aftermarket bolt and hammer spring installed.

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 11:03:27 AM »

I don't have a 58, but I do have two 1873 SAA Great Western ll's, in Stainless Steel, in 45 long colt, with 7 1/2" barrels made by Pietta, my guns were tuned when I got them, right from the box, quality and finish are first class and beautiful, I can't say enough good things about Pietta, they do it right from the get go, and quality is second to none, of the post I've heard here and other forums about the Pietta 1858's, all have high regard for them too. We really owe the Italians a lot for what they do, there wouldn't be too much CAS going on without them.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Marshall John Joseph

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 12:56:22 PM »
I have two Pietta 58's, both purchased from Cabelas, one about ten years ago, one about a year ago.  The newest one went back to Cabelas for an exchange; hammer would slip.  The new one is perfect.  Cabelas has some decent sale prices - I got the last 58 for $189.00, and their return policy is bulletproof.

Years ago I bought a Uberti Paterson from Cabelas and it locked up out of the box.  Sent back for refund.  Then I bought a Uberti Henry (years ago) and the stock had "drip marks" on the stock.  Exchanged and they sent another, supposedly with prior examination, and it was just as bad.  Sent it back for a refund.  Makes you think about what may be being sent to Cabelas from overseas.  I am not a purchasing agent, so I don't know.  All the returns were on Cabela's $, but I had more quality control problems with Uberti.  If I knew it was true, I would rather pay a few dollars more to, let's say Taylors, if I knew they went through each one for fit and function.

Back to the original post.  Like what's been said, the Pietta 58 is a lot of pistol for $189, but they have been making them for a lot of years.  They should have it right by now.  I have had no problems since I have owned them, and have used R&D cylinders to boot.

I believe the owner of Pietta is a member of this site.  I would like to hear about factory quality control steps.

MJJ

Offline bedbugbilly

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 06:10:24 PM »
Wolfgang - I have Pietta '58 Remington Navy - .36 that I purchased from Cabelas this past summer.  I was so busy that I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.  I can tell you though that I was and am very happy with it.  The quality was top notch - perfect deep blud finish with no flaws, metal to metal fit very very nice, tight crisp action.  It cocks much easier than my '51 Colt Navy and my "new" old ASM '61 Colt Navy but I think that there will be more than ample main spring pressure to make the caps go "bang".  Right out of the box - perfect.  If I had once complaint, it would be that from what I see, Pietta has a problem getting their grips to fit the grip frame - not "short" anywhere mind you, but mine (and others I've seen) overhang the frame at the heel of the grip.  It's not a big deal and can easily be fixed as I think the countour of them can be improved as well.  I plan to replace them with faux ivory ones if I can find a pair that have the "dance hall girl" ("soiled dove") on them.  If anyone knows where I can get a set of those, would appreciate a pm.  All in all - I think Pietta is a great deal - good quality and good price.  Perhaps the gentleman just got a "lemon" like you say - it happens but I would think that Cabelas would make it right and replace it.  I've always found them to be good folks to deal with.

llanerosolitario

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 07:06:05 PM »
very well finished with nitre blueing  and made with  soft steel. But they work. I would prefer to pay more for a more authentic gun. when it comes to Remingtons, Piettas and Ubertis differ from the original guns in the shapes and dimensions.

in my opinion, none of the italian replicas equals the originals in finish and accuracy for serious matches. I would define italian revolvers acuracy, as capricious, in my experience.

all the best

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 02:36:36 AM »
very well finished with nitre blueing  and made with  soft steel. But they work. I would prefer to pay more for a more authentic gun. when it comes to Remingtons, Piettas and Ubertis differ from the original guns in the shapes and dimensions.

in my opinion, none of the italian replicas equals the originals in finish and accuracy for serious matches. I would define italian revolvers acuracy, as capricious, in my experience.

all the best

Not so actually as regards dimensions. I have an older (1975) Pietta that I have compared SxS with an original and it's a dead ringer. It was only a few years ago that they started making the grip larger as people today are generally larger as well and complained as such.

Also:

llanerosolitario

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 03:06:25 AM »
In my opinion they are oversized, specially the grip. I have compared  both Uberti and Pietta with the original Remington and they are thicker guns and less beautiful in shape.

it is interesting that the 1860 Armies in both Uberti and Pietta are almost perfect clones even in the smalls parts.

No italian replica matches the original guns, in general, when it comes to accuracy. If we buy an original Remington with a good condition barrel, we'll have a top accuracy match gun, ready to compete at the highest level.

in short, my main complains with Pietta are two problems:

inconsistent accuracy in the standard 1858 standard Remington, inferior to my old Santa Barbara and to the originals,  for 25 meters MLAIC matches, and softer steels and large dimensions in frame in the current production models, that makes it a bulkier gun.  But they are sold at very affordable prices and we must admit that they offer much for that price.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 08:37:39 AM »
While I have handled Uberti pistols and have an Uberti Henry, All the pistols I own are Pietta.   I am mainly a Colt shooter, but have two Remington 58s as well.  One has an R&D cylinder that has had over 1500 rounds through it.   Both function flawlessly out of the box.  I also was gifted one of the Brass frame 58 buffalo pistols,  when I fit a should stock to it, it is so dead on accurate at up to 75 yards it gives me too much confidence.  All of my Pietta pistols have been great, all I do is put new nipples on them and blast away.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 09:36:37 PM »
I just got two Pietta 1858s from Cabelas: one 8" and on 5 1/2".  The timing on both is perfect, though the trigger pull is about 6 pounds on both.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com