Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2017, 09:11:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  Gun Reviews (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Arcey)  |  Topic: Rossi lever actions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rossi lever actions  (Read 41480 times)
PJ Hardtack
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2017, 06:05:53 pm »

I'm sure I've seen a 'short stroke kit' for those matchlocks .......

I've always thought it odd that there is no 'short stroke kit' offered for the '92, the rifle of Chuck Connors in "The Rifleman". I guess he and John Wayne found it acceptable as it was.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne
greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2017, 01:01:01 am »

I'm sure I've seen a 'short stroke kit' for those matchlocks .......

I've always thought it odd that there is no 'short stroke kit' offered for the '92, the rifle of Chuck Connors in "The Rifleman". I guess he and John Wayne found it acceptable as it was.

If it was do able there would be one already.....
greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2017, 02:06:23 am »

Thank you Greyhawk.   What you described mostly matches what was happening.  Where could I find a new magazine cutoff to buy?  Would shimming work instead of a new part?

Karl  heres what I would do for starters - make yourself two dummy rounds - feed em in then take a piece of brass 1/8th inch welding rod - might want to put a point on it or a flat tip like a screwdriver - open the action to the point the lifter is about to raise - now push the round off the carrier forward into the magazine - you can see the little cutoff thingy move aside to clear the round then pop back across to hold it - push the cutoff aside gently with your lil brass jigger and the round should pop back free onto the carrier and the cutoff stops the next one coming in - play this back and forth as long as it takes to be certain sure that cutoff is working free and easy on every round - you guys run hard so it has got to be right - spend some time doing this and it will either tell you one way or tother - if its not working right fix it - if all is well there Huh? problem is someplace else  - I dont reckon a 92 is  near as sensitive to OAL of ammo as a toggle link gun.  

Trust me, I shoot my lever actions like I stole them so being too gentle is not part of the problem.

way to go ! but when they jam its worse eh!

My Rossi 92 does not mind wadcutters nearly as much
I never ran wadcutters - but surprised that a 73 hates em worse than a 92 - woulda though that a toggle gun (or a marlin) with a straight feed wopulda had less trouble feeding em BUT I have had mainly winchesters with winchester rounds and that bit of bottle neck helps feeding .  

The firing pin advice is interesting.  I may have found an antique Marlin for my lovely wife's Christmas present.  The price is good and it is in .32 so SASS legal but has about as many broken parts as not.  The firing pin dropped out in two pieces and Numrich is out of them.  I am working with the seller to see it I can have a new one machined since it is a pretty simple part.  The split magazine sleeve might be a little trickier to fix.  
Her goal is to have all originals for her SASS kit.  She has the S&W revolvers already and is looking for a shooter 20 ga damascus or the likes (she just found a surprisingly sweet little 16 ga damascus coach gun for $400.  I am tired of learning to load more old ammo.  Undecided  This little coach gun is pretty and feels like someone tuned it for SASS a century ago.)  The lengths that I go to to bribe my wife into coming out to shoots.  

worth the effort (bribery!)
I have took a couple pictures looking down into a couple 92's to demonstarte wot I am on about here - 38-40 stopper = this is my 32-20 conversion gun just finished building - 44-40 stopper = this old girl has been rebarrelled - its working - but see how the stopper is not come across as nicely as the other rifle - the front end of the cutoff is just scratching the barrel face - needs pulling down and a couple strokes with a file to fix it sos it can have clearance on the barrel face - have a good look at these two - the 38/40 is right and the 44/40 is functional but only just - third pic is lookin straight down into the innards - if a 92 is poppin rounds out the top of the action (do ya call that stovepiping?) look here  --- the cartridge guides rearward of the grooves that clear the rim  MUST be close enough that a factory case body can not clear - so a 32-20 has two little pimples opposite each other on the guides just behind the rim grooves and a pair of matching grooves in the bolt underlug - that case is too small to close the rails in - I sold my 357 rossi so I dont know how its handled in that calibre - if the case body can fit between those rails rearward of the rim groove then the lifter will flick the nose up and stick it out the top - this where ya might shim an old gun - just a few thou under the right side cartridge guide (never had to do that - but did have to refurbish a 32/20 one time that a guy had "polished up" - he emeryed those two little pimples off the guide rails - was fun putting them back on with the farm welder) ---- maybe this helps  

* 38-40 stopper.jpeg (56.83 KB, 480x800 - viewed 18 times.)

* 44-40 stopper.jpeg (62.35 KB, 480x800 - viewed 22 times.)

* 38-40 action.jpeg (53.09 KB, 480x800 - viewed 23 times.)
PJ Hardtack
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2017, 05:57:28 pm »

If it was do able there would be one already.....

"If'n it ain't broke - don't fix it!"

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne
Rooster Ron Wayne
Rooster
Very Active Citizen

Lube your Balls & Cap your Nipples ~ Just Sayin !

« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2017, 07:35:35 pm »

Take away the short stroke kits and the 92 is just as fast as any rifle in the game .
And will handle hotter ammo for other things needed too.
Just sayin
Rooster

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."
greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2017, 08:30:04 am »

Take away the short stroke kits and the 92 is just as fast as any rifle in the game .
And will handle hotter ammo for other things needed too.
Just sayin
Rooster

I been playin with 92's since I was a youngster (lets say 45years) I can do considerably and consistently better with my 66 (only had it 20 years) - no short stroke kit - the size and shape of the lever loop and trigger guard and trigger placement in the guard just seems to suit me better to run hard - in the end it will come down to what YOU feel most comfortable with
3 x 92's , 2 x 66's , 94, 71, 76
Agree on the hotter ammo - cant do THAT in a 66
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  Gun Reviews (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Arcey)  |  Topic: Rossi lever actions « previous next »
Jump to: