Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2017, 03:01:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  WESTERN 3 GUN (Moderators: Sam Houston, Black Jack Traven)  |  Topic: What is Western 3 Gun? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is Western 3 Gun?  (Read 8770 times)
Grapeshot
Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
Top Active Citizen

WARTHOG

« on: December 19, 2009, 08:25:53 am »

This is my first time visiting this forum.  I have to ask, What is Western Three Gun?  Is it a competition involving one one Rifle, One Revolver, and One Shotgun like SASS started out as 25 years ago?

A comprehensive and concise answer will be appreciated.

Thank You,

Grapeshot

Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.
Black Jack Traven
Deputy Marshal
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 09:28:52 am »

Concise and Comprehensive, wow! I think I failed already. I will give it a shot and let others improve on my effort.

Western 3 Gun uses three TYPES of guns, two revolvers, a shotgun and and rifle. The gun requirements are the same as SASS style CAS although not with as many restrictions. The new '93 pump shotguns are allowed for example.

From that point things change substantially. The scenario is limited to how many times a target is shot, what order the guns are used in, where guns are staged and where the shooter starts. From that point, the shooter determines where he will shoot targets from (within safety rules, the 180 etc.) and in what order. Stages typically have many props that will allow access to targets only at certain times. The shooter is responsible to figure out when he can see and shoot targets. If you like to follow a script, this will be more difficult, if you like to shoot it your way and watch how others decided to shoot, it is a great deal of fun.

Shooting while moving is not required but it is the way fast shooters make time. This is another key element that makes W3G unique.

Scoring is different than SASS. There are no spotters, scoring is determined by lead splash on the target. Targets are painted between shooters. If there is a miss, the shooter is allowed to examine the target. Small bonuses are common in the game. The center of the target may be painted a different color and designated as a bonus, typically, one second. I have seen stages with 20 bonus shots that results in fast shooters having a total negative time on the stage. This aspect of the game creates a very interesting balance of speed and accuracy.

While the number of rounds loaded at the loading table is defined, a shooter may reload on the clock to make up misses if the shooter chooses to.

Shotguns start loaded. Doubles with rounds in chambers and open, pump guns with 2 in the mag and hammer down on an empty chamber. There have been some experiments with allowing pumps to load 4 but I am not clear of that is a long term change or not.

The bottom line is if you are experienced with SASS shooting, a W3G match will not be a problem. Western 3 Gun does provide more opportunities to analyze stages, to shoot the stage in a way that best fits your style, to blend movement, speed and accuracy into the most efficient way to shoot and to generally have a great time shooting with good people.

I am sure I missed out on comprehensive and concise is just a joke but I hope this post has helped.

Very Best Regards,
BJT
Daniel Nighteyes
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 11:55:16 am »

Grapeshot,

BJT did an excellent job of describing Western 3-Gun!  The best I can do is offer a few minor/finer points.  First there are fewer shooter categories.  For example there is only one Duelist category rather than many.

He mentioned that a pump shotgun can sometimes be stoked with four rounds with the hammer down on an empty chamber -- that is in the Open category.  Shotguns are typically staged horizontally on a flat surface such as a table or "bar".  They are loaded at the place where they are to be staged, and only after everyone (spotters, painters, target resetters, etc.) has cleared the downrange area.  "Clear to load" is the statement I've heard from the RO's in this regard.

A key difference from SASS, other than the obvious one, is that there is no such thing as a Procedural.  BJT touched all around this, but didn't say it outright.  W3G offers the shooter a lot of latitude in deciding which targets to shoot when, as long as they do it safely.  This is one of the things I enjoy most.  As anyone who knows me can verify, I don't always think like other folks, and as anyone who has ever shot W3G with me can verify, I often don't shoot a stage the way most others do.

You will hear folks -- most of whom have never attended a W3G match -- describing W3G as a "run-and-gun" sport, implying or stating directly that it is inherently hazardous.  Nope.  Safety always rules supreme.

I shoot both SASS and W3G, and each has its strong points.  Neither, IMHO, is "better" than the other.  If I could only shoot one or the other, I' probably pick W3G, but then I've already told you about the way I think! Wink

Hope this helps.

-- Nighteyes
Grapeshot
Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
Top Active Citizen

WARTHOG

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 07:03:28 pm »

Thank you for the informative answerd.  This discipline sounds like fun.  If I can find a club that follows this format I'll try to get there and try my luck.

Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  WESTERN 3 GUN (Moderators: Sam Houston, Black Jack Traven)  |  Topic: What is Western 3 Gun? « previous next »
Jump to: