Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 07:12:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Leather Shop (Moderators: Marshal Will Wingam, Ten Wolves Fiveshooter)  |  Topic: BUNKHOUSE RAMBLINGS 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 217 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BUNKHOUSE RAMBLINGS  (Read 633516 times)
GunClick Rick
Top Active Citizen

May your moccasins walk the way of peace

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2009, 11:48:35 pm »

Ok change the name to the Ramble Room Grin Can ya post  peectures on it?

May your lodges hold much tatanka~
GunClick Rick
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2009, 11:52:19 pm »

You guys get your names in the drawing hat?For a knife or Rugers?I won this shirt jacket some time ago when they had a drawing.
 Had a gal embroydy my handle on it.. Smiley

Gun Butcher
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2009, 10:30:02 am »

Okay, it is amazing how much we all have in common. Here are a few pics for Rick, TW, and Angel Eyes that show part of my madness. Pics aren't great. That is something I need to work on.
The arrow heads where all collected in Kentucky back when I use to follow a plow thru a field. Except for the white one in the center which was made by a gentleman in OK. Can't for the life of me remember his name.
The sticks are found in my ramblings and are very theraputic to sit around and whittle on.
The bows where made around the 1930's in central Wisconsin and all have carved horn nocks
the thicker, dark piece of wood with the sticks is Osage orange and is in the process of becoming a short flat bow.
I don't think there are to many things that I have ever heard of that I haven't tried but it keeps me off the streets and the better half doesn't have to look far to find me. Wink
And Yes I do own a couple of guitars but I never really learned how to play  Roll Eyes Embarrassed

* bows 006.jpg (76.46 KB, 422x563 - viewed 906 times.)

* bows 005.jpg (76.52 KB, 563x422 - viewed 916 times.)

* bows 001.jpg (44.44 KB, 422x317 - viewed 941 times.)

Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
Ten Wolves Fiveshooter
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Live To Fight Another Day

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2009, 10:55:56 am »

GB, that's some interesting stuff, I haven't seen any bows like that, the one on the left looks a lot like one a friends dad had that he brought here from South America, you have quit a collection of things Pard, thanks for the look see  Roll Eyes

tEN wOLVES  Wink Cheesy Grin

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About
Gun Butcher
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2009, 11:05:58 am »

TW, the painted bow is osage with a rawhide cover. the yellow one is yew wood and the one with the sticks is lemonwood they are all made in a  "D" shape.

Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
GunClick Rick
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2009, 11:15:56 am »

Them are Gunnies bows..Osage that's what it is  Smiley NICE Smiley

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2009, 11:36:40 am »

GB, I can see where it would have taken a little time to collect this many specimens, I was always surprised, at how small a lot of the American Indian bows and arrows are/were, some of the arrows I remember seeing in museums  seemed so short, but it was pointed out the the wood they used for there bows were very strong, and because they weren't very long, they packed a pretty good punch, compared to the long bows used in England and Europe, these Indian bows and arrows were at the opposite end in size. for distance it was hard to beat the long bow, the recurve was great in short range or brush, and was/is a very fast shooting bow.

Thanks for sharing Pardner

tEN wOLVES  Wink Cheesy Grin  

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About
Kid Terico
Top Active Citizen

I,m to small to turn the other cheek.

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2009, 12:10:04 pm »

I used to play around but I was only 16 at the time. Grin Grin ;DKT Does that count?
Gun Butcher
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2009, 08:15:34 pm »

TW you are right about the Native American bows being short. Would have been a real pain to shoot a long bow from horseback. they favored the osage because of its strength and they also covered the back of the bow with sinew and sometimes rawhide. The short bow that I show with the stcks is more along those lines being what they call a "flat bow". the others are all in the long bow style.  
The first bow that I ever made would have made you laugh. It looks perfect but a 3 yr old could probably bend it double.  Embarrassed Embarrassed I took a little to much wood off of the belly when I was shaping it. SO, it hangs in the shop to remind me to take a little at a time no matter what I am working on. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Oh, here is my little arrowhead collection.

* bows 003.jpg (62.95 KB, 563x422 - viewed 925 times.)

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2009, 09:06:06 pm »

GB, nice collection, and assortment of styles, you're right about the long bow being hard to shoot from horseback, the type of in and out fighting the Indians did, that short bow served him better. My wife's cousin is licenses to shoot a cross bow, he does real well at harvesting game each year with it, shoulder injures like mine don't allow him to shoot his long bow anymore, I have brother in laws that shoot compound bows, I never got into them, but I've been told they are real easy to shoot, and much more user friendly than what I'm used too, my heart is still with the old way.

Thanks for sharing Pard

tEN wOLVES  Wink Cheesy Grin

GunClick Rick
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2009, 10:49:31 pm »

Niice arrowheads Smiley
 Shoulda seen the knife i found today,some old feller had some antique dressers out in his driveway and my cousin and i stopped to check them out,man he had a three car garage turned into an antique store,had a falling block 38 pistol,a 32 degree mason sword,a really nice percussion shotgun english made from england with silver inlay.A great big knife cuaght my eye and it had the pirate blade look with leather scabbard with brass at the top.The brass hilt had a meatal nub on one side and when ya slid the kinfe in the nub lined up with a hole on the hand gaurd and just on one side and about the size of a nail head.I may have to add it to my kife collection if i can talk him down some,he wanted 250 for it.Also had a chest halter for a horse with silver conchos on it,said it was made by the Visalia Saddle Co. but i could'nt find any markings.I thought i knew every dealer in town and turns out he knew my grandfather,He sure had some stuff in there.

You guys ever see a knife like that?

Ned Buckshot
Top Active Citizen

Ned at Silverado, NM

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2009, 08:28:16 am »

Any body in these parts do Scrimshaw?

I am in the design stages of a very important project, I'm leaning towords a little bit on Elephant Ivory. Less than 1 1/2" diameter.

Or does any one know who a go to artist is?

Ned

Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS
Gun Butcher
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2009, 08:41:37 am »

Ned, here is a piece I did quite a few years ago and I have done 5 or 6 powder horns.  Its really not hard to do unless you have trouble with your hands then it can be a real bear.
With what I have seen from you it shouldn't be hard for you to figure out.
 As a matter of fact I have a new knife that I just finished that I plan on doing a little scrimshawing on. I will post it under Bunkhouse Ramblins when I get it done.

* scrimshaw.jpg (98.96 KB, 590x549 - viewed 917 times.)

Ned Buckshot
Top Active Citizen

Ned at Silverado, NM

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2009, 08:45:43 am »

That's very nice Gun Butcher!

I just am not sure I want to spend the time to learn at this point.

Ned

Ned Buckshot

Gun Butcher
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2009, 09:16:25 am »

Well I get the feeling Roll Eyes that a lot of you guys spend some very productive time "learning". I have a tendency to over simplify the learning process and I am sure it shows in my finished product.  Embarrassed
We'll move this one over to the Bunkhouse thread since it really isn't leather related.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2009, 10:07:57 am »

Good morning All

Well the coffee's on and the biscuits and gravy are just about done too, so get out of those bunks and get you tail ends to the table, after breakfast, it will be time for services by our own Parson JD, so sit a spell and enjoy the morning, and Gun Slick Rick remember to take off your hat when the Parson gets here.

Have a great Sunday Pards

Regards

tEN wOLVES  Wink Cheesy Grin 

GunClick Rick
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2009, 12:47:26 pm »

Praise the Lord and the holy ghost
biggest pig eats the most!

You fellers don't forget to put your thyes in that HAT sittin upside down in the middle of the table now.. Wink AMEN?

GunClick Rick
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2009, 01:09:54 pm »

Ma whipped up a a stack a griddle patties ,throwed on some sunny side easy,and drizzled the stacks with Olalaberry syrup Tongue Lip smackin fer sure.Only one place you kin get Olalaberry...It came from heaven and landed not far from here in California Wink Wink Grin

And the pies??? Shocked Tongue Tongue Tongue Kiss Kiss Kiss

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2009, 01:35:56 pm »

Sad Cry Dang Rick you're making me HUNGRY,  Roll Eyes Shocked Cheesy

TW  Wink Cheesy Grin

Marshal Will Wingam
Garden Variety
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2009, 01:45:13 pm »

Howdy, pards. I've been on the road for a couple days but I'm back. what a great bunch of pictures you have posted. I love those arrowheads and bows. I learned to shoot a bow when I was a kid. I got a bow for my birthday and broke my right arm a week later. I learned to shoot left handed and the cast made a great arm guard while learning. I haven't shot one in years. I suppose I should go give it a try again. It's really a lot of fun.

What a cool clock display that is, Johnny. Most intriguing. I like it.

I have a great guitar that I never learned to play right. Maybe some day when I slow down. I can play two songs on my harmonica, though. One of 'em is Red River Valley and the other one isn't. Grin

SCORRS     SASS     BHR
Dave Cole
Knifemaker/Leatherworker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2009, 02:07:35 pm »

Ned , my knifemaking student, Josh Dabney does Scrim. I can get him to contact you, if you want.Dave

Here's a couple of samples, the rose he did on a knife for my wife.

Marshal Will Wingam
Garden Variety
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2009, 02:11:26 pm »

Nice scrimshaw, pards. I moved this thread over here since it is not really about leather.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR
GunClick Rick
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2009, 03:33:37 pm »

See Doc get arm guard..Got it!
 Marshall ,ack in my younger days hangin out at the Green Olive Saloon it was a toss which song got me more purty gals,Red River or Shennendoah Grin Men would cry in thier beer and the gals be kissin me.. Kiss Wink

That's real nice scrimshaw too,man how do you not like scrimshaw Smiley

JD Alan
Pistol Packin Parson
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2009, 04:29:27 pm »

Well guys, we had a great service today. We dedicated a baby and anounced that my long time associate is heading down the road in January to be the senior pastor of a church in another town. I can almost always work something about the range or leather, or CAS in the message.

We have a gal, Norma Lee Quick, who's been a top shooter for the last few years take a bad fall while inline skating, and broke both arms and wrists. I saw her last night at our annual night shoot, and she's hanging in there, but in some significant pain.

She's staying with her folks, cause she needs quite a bit of care. She says she can't even wipe her butt, and that's got to be frustrating, not to mention humiliating!

We've been taking up a collection for her, cause she doesn't have insurance, and the bills are piling up. If you think of it, she could sure use some prayer! 

The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.
Ned Buckshot
Top Active Citizen

Ned at Silverado, NM

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2009, 04:34:43 pm »

Prayers Up JD!

Ned

Ned Buckshot

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 217 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Leather Shop (Moderators: Marshal Will Wingam, Ten Wolves Fiveshooter)  |  Topic: BUNKHOUSE RAMBLINGS « previous next »
Jump to: