Author Topic: What gear would an 1860 Californio carry with him?  (Read 200904 times)

Offline Caprock Louis

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What gear would an 1860 Californio carry with him?
« Reply #200 on: July 26, 2010, 01:17:08 PM »
Enjoyed spending a bit of time reading the posts on this subject.  I found it very enjoyable and worthwhile.  If I may; I think one of the most common pistols used in the California gold rush and early Texas was the pepperbox.  No one likes Walkers more than I.  I have owned a replica for 25 years and think the Colt navies and armies are so cool but in the mid 1800s it took awhile before the revolver we love so much was afforded by so many of the comman man.  It was the civil war that brought great productions of these fine revolvers.  Before that it was the flint and percussion single and double pistols.  The Pepperbox was a great improvement and truly sought.

Just a thought
Caprock Louis
Lost deep in the heart of Texas

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
« Reply #201 on: July 26, 2010, 03:41:14 PM »
If we, or in this case WWE, made or had our wives/girlfriends/mothers make our own clothing the money we spend could come down significantly.

Also, it would be interesting to compare costs adjusted for inflation. I haven't seen anyone do that, though it's very possibly been done. Are ya'll aware of any comparisons? A brand-new Remington 1875 replica (Cimarron's "The Outlaw") lists for around $560 today. For some people that's about a weeks' salary. If Cowboys made $30-40 a month, that would be around $7.50-$10 dollars. I know I've seen people on this site talk about the prices of the guns back then. Was $10 for a revolver a lot at that time? I guess I'm trying to say that $2000 may not be proportionally as much as it sounds.

Of course, there are new guns to be had today for 3 or more times that amount...

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #202 on: July 26, 2010, 06:29:46 PM »
I bought my Pietta used for about $150 .... since I am a pretty died in the wool cartridge man, buying a pistol for reenactments meant some thing that looked good and was cheap ... LOL

I think I mentioned before that a new Colt was about $40, or about the same as the average cowboys monthly wage  ... but a local gunsmith could turn a cap n ball  into a conversion cartridge weapon for about $4. Hence the large number of conversions about ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Advertising

« Reply #203 on: Today at 09:09:42 AM »

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #203 on: July 27, 2010, 10:37:52 AM »
Looking fine is what guys like this didn't do as they were real cowboys and everything they owned was used as a tool. The working cowboy like my grandfather (pictured here in Oklahoma  previous to it becoming a state), would beat up any dandy dressed like a pimp, just for fun...

Apples and oranges.  I was talking about the Californio vaqueros when they went to town...as WWE is doing. He sure isn't representing a cow nurse in the field.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #204 on: July 27, 2010, 11:31:27 AM »
Thank you for the kind words Forty Rod,

The Caifornios were about as aristocratic a people as we will see in an area that became part of the us ... they had servants and vaqueros of indian and mixed blood that would do any demeaning tasks (and demeaning seemed to be definened by anything that could not be done from horseback).

Not that Californios might have a few indians or mexican native born in their closet ... but from what I have read,  until the Yanquis came it was very near a feudal society. The owners of the Rancheros held themselves a cut above, qute possibly to separate themselves from the prisoners and debtors sent from Mexico to help colonize California.

This painting by James Walker shows the formal side of Califormions much better than I can explain ...

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #205 on: October 01, 2010, 01:24:19 AM »
The Saga Continues ...

I found out that all the first '51 Colts that came to California were 'square backs' with silver inlaid backstrap and trigger guard ...

So, I am having a square back trigger guard worked on for me ... it was the only one I found that came really close to fitting my pistol.

You see, what I thought was a Pietta seems to be an Armi San Marcos, and finding parts for the gun is a real bear.

So when I found a square back trigger guard , it fits except that the trigger guard his only 3/4" high rather than the 1" needed. So a local jewelry shop is cutting off the horizontal lower part of the trigger guard and adding 1/4" so that the longer trigger of this weapon will swing freely ....

Once the trigger is adapted, the jewelry shop is going to have both the trigger guard and backstrap silver plated ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline Tsalagidave

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #206 on: October 06, 2010, 05:29:43 PM »
Get the book "Reminicinces of a Ranger" by Horace Bell.  (1881)
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=reminiscences+of+a+ranger&tag=yahhyd-20&index=aps&hvadid=18179086511&ref=pd_sl_2i90smib4o_b

It is a great first-hand account of life in California during the 1850s.  It spells out in detail of the preferred gear and clothing styles.  It is very well documented that Anglos adopted the Vaquero styles wearing Botas de talons with bowie knives tucked into them, colt navy sixes and batteries, Calzoneras, Vicuna hats etc.  The sutters fort costume guide gives great diagrams on period clothing.  I do and 1850s Los Angeles Rangers impression and carry a Cold Black Powder series navy six with a silver-handled bowie and a custom St. Louis gun.   I have other period newspaper and bound publications that can help also.  I have been studying it for a while now. I'm glad to see someone else out there with a shared interest.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #207 on: October 10, 2010, 03:43:08 PM »
Being a new forum member and slowly going through the postings here this is one of the most interesting.More so being an Illinois prairie dweller who has read or studied little about this part of history.I have enjoyed the information shared by all,it is extremely enlightening for a dummy on the subject of early California history. :)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #208 on: October 13, 2010, 12:32:51 AM »
Dave,

Thanks!

I ordered a copy for me and a copy for our museum library ... and I am looking forward to reading it ...

Jim Bob,

I LIVE here and knew very little about them ... If it were not for the thoughtfullness of several of our members I would be committing thousands of other little countless errors .... carrying my Ruger Old Army  and maybe a big Bowie rather than that Belduque ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #209 on: October 13, 2010, 01:55:28 AM »
"Reminiscences of a Ranger"
is also available on line in PDF format at:
Google books - just use the title to search in Google Books
Open Library.org - http://openlibrary.org/books/OL7096294M/Reminiscences_of_a_ranger
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #210 on: October 13, 2010, 10:59:06 AM »
Chuck,

Ah, well they are already paid for and on their way ... and I think that the second book will make a nice research book of the small library that the musum has ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #211 on: October 13, 2010, 11:57:45 PM »
In regards to powderhorn or flask, try finding a flat powder horn. It is as convenient as a flask, period correct from about 1830 on and can be scrimshawed or decorated with silver or what ever. It can be hung by a cord or a leather socket or pouch used for storage. I made and used one for a couple of years when I was buckskinning.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #212 on: October 14, 2010, 08:47:57 AM »
The Californios seemed to hold onto swords and knives as long as they could ... it was kind of considered a 'lack of character' to do harm to a person from accross a room ... that if one really disliked a person that bad, and damage should be done 'up cose and personal' ... ojo to ojo ...

There was a very short time when the tradional Californio clothes bumped into cap and ball weapons ... like they had to arm themselved once the yanquis came in with their pistols ...  by the 1860s Californios were adopting yanqui clothes ...

So finding any pictures with cap and ball is problematic ... all the paintings of the period show them with swords at best .... and if you ever look at any pictures of the era, pistols and rifles are displayed proudly, where cap and ball bag and powder flasks are usually not .....

So on the one hand, I can pick whetever might have come up the Sacramento River from San Francisco ... on the other, I have nothing to gude me to a correct flask or bag ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #213 on: October 14, 2010, 05:27:54 PM »
Wadd,
Once again let me compliment the thought and effort you have devoted to your persona. I hope the museum and its patrons appreciate the care you have taken to refine the presentation you are giving them.

At one time Dixie Gun Works had some repro French flasks, of the 'bag' type, one plain and one an all-over basket weave pattern. These European influence flasks may fit the bill.
As to a ball bag, I would imagine that if you could find any documentation for tobacco pouches or bags or the like, it could do double duty. I'vs seen some fancy tobacco bags of pigskin or goat that resemble the long bags that are pulled up through a sash or belt and left to hang over.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #214 on: October 14, 2010, 06:04:09 PM »
River City John,

Why thank you ... but the honest truth is that I don't have a life .... after three divorces from good women I have to admit that I just don't have the skills to be in a long term relationship .... LOL

So, lacking the 'normal' things that mark time (like marital and familial relationships *S*) I find it easy to get in the 'thread counter' mode and obsess about all the little things

But thank you for the kind comments  ... it is a lot of fun ... but I would trade it for grandkids around the Christmas tree any day ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #215 on: November 15, 2010, 11:27:54 AM »
Wadd,

Havent heard from you in a while...... how's the pistola coming?

Fingers
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #216 on: November 15, 2010, 11:39:05 AM »
Fingers,

Well met!

I have been trying to pay the project, if not forward, at least keeping it real time.

The jewelers did a fantastic job of it and I owe them $200 to get it paid off for the trigger guard job ...

Once that is paid, then it is to be sent to a plating shop to get the back strap and trigger guard plated ....

But with Christmas coming up and a couple of other projects going, this isn't going to get done until the New Year at the earliest ...

And don't worry, I will show the results like  a proud papa showing off his baby pics ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #217 on: November 15, 2010, 11:52:41 AM »
Wadd,

Thanks for the update.  Will keep a lookout for the pictures.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #218 on: January 24, 2011, 09:53:23 AM »
Okay, here goes reply #2 ...

I had spent an hour getting pics and stuff ready on reply # 1 when my computer switched to another page and discarded the entire post .... so here goes a truncated #2 ...

First, thanks for all the thoughtful advice so freely given ... it has really helped flesh out my Character!

In order to be more accurate, I bought a 'Gun that Never Was', a '51 Colt in .44 Cal ... Will Ghormley made me a copy of a Maine and Winchester Slim Jim holster, and Chuck Burrows cut down an old belt to make my gun rig ... pics below.

Californios also did not carry Bowies, but had their own type of knife called a Belduque.  I could not find a lare enough Belduque, so Josh Dabney was kind enough to make this one for me. I have been waiting for over two years for the Botas De Alas to carry it in, and I look forward to wearing the knife ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #219 on: February 16, 2011, 11:53:46 AM »
It's a pity Lyman doesn't carry their '51 Navy anymore. It was a squareback with silver plated backstrap and triggerguard. I have one that I picked up close to 30 years ago, still shoots great and is a slick looker too.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com