Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2017, 12:55:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  USFA CSS (Moderator: Capt. John Fitzgerald)  |  Topic: The Pictures Pages 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Pictures Pages  (Read 114044 times)
Capt. John Fitzgerald
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #150 on: May 17, 2015, 07:59:34 pm »

Well, it does look better than it did when I sent it back to them over 10 years ago!  Still, I wanted "Master B" engraving and that sure looks like "Armory A" coverage to me.  Ah, well…  when the dust settled 10 years ago USFA did the right thing and gave me what I wanted, an ivory handled, nickel plated gun with a properly polished frame.

Pangaea,
Has Yahoody filled you in on the history of this gun?

Yahoody,
Did Adams & Adams do the "armory" engraving?  I thought they only did the "master" level of engraving.  

You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.
yahoody
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #151 on: May 17, 2015, 10:36:04 pm »

I can't answer to that in full Cap'.  Although I have had A&A do a number of projects for me.  All were signed.   My impression is A&A did all the DT guns.  And none that I have seen are at a master level IMO. ( the guns that are cylinder only or just slightly more coverage than the cylinder)  Seems to be production engraving to me.  Also seems to be what USFA called "armory engraving"...no signature and not very deep.  Like anything,  you generally get what you pay for I expect.  A master level engraver can put out a lot of standard level engraving....in a short amount of time compared to one master level gun with true "C" coverage. 

Here is how Colt does it and the cost:
◾Standard: basic American style, engraver not recorded. C level  $1800
◾Expert: master quality scroll work, engraver signed and recorded. C level  $3260
◾Master: intricate scrollwork with precious metal inlays, signed by the engraver and recorded.  C level master is $7000

Much as I like my USFA guns..and I do.  Sure was a lot of smoke and mirrors going on there IMO from the very beginning when they were simply refinishing. repackaging and then reselling Uberti guns, right up till the lights went out on 100% USA built guns and the last  "historical letters"  were being signed long after the CNC machines were sold off and the doors were locked.       

"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903
Pangaea
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #152 on: May 17, 2015, 10:37:09 pm »

Pangaea,
Has Yahoody filled you in on the history of this gun?

Capt., yes he did give me a pretty good rundown on the history behind it.  Seems like a nice weapon to me, I'm going to have to learn all the differences in these engraved pistols.  I'm just not educated enough on the subject to know which are "Amoury" and "Master".  I must say, I do like them all.

yahoody
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #153 on: May 17, 2015, 11:02:21 pm »

Here is what I have learned about engraving.  It was/is an expensive lesson.  It is worth what I paid for it and what you are now Smiley

Engraving is history carved in metal.  Once done not easy to go back in time.  Like it for what it is.  Simple as that.  I have nice engraved guns that now I wish could have been done differently.

They are what they are.  Learning to enjoying the differences in the artisan's skills and styles is what makes them fun for me.
No question it is a learning experience.

But they are just guns.  Expensive guns at that!   To be a "nice" engraved gun for me they have to be so beautiful/stunning as art that I won't shoot them....art in metal.  Or such a good gun it deserves to be engraved and used.  Used a lot!  I have a few of both.  I like the users more.  And dislike their engraving by comparison.  Go figure  Roll Eyes  Never said any of this made sense.

Pangaea
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #154 on: May 18, 2015, 07:42:16 pm »

Those are some really pretty guns. 
yahoody
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #155 on: May 19, 2015, 10:47:36 am »

yahoody
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #156 on: August 28, 2016, 02:58:57 pm »

yahoody
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #157 on: August 28, 2016, 03:00:37 pm »

yahoody
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #158 on: August 28, 2016, 03:15:49 pm »

recent John Adams Sr. 45s all blued.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  USFA CSS (Moderator: Capt. John Fitzgerald)  |  Topic: The Pictures Pages « previous next »
Jump to: