Author Topic: Odd Primer Behavior  (Read 3670 times)

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Odd Primer Behavior
« on: June 03, 2009, 03:53:12 AM »
Due to the mad rush on reloading components I bought some Wolf Large Pistol Mag. primers recently to try out with BP. I loaded up some 44-40 and used them in a Colt FSS and noticed something really odd IMO. The primers in several fired cases looked as if they almost backed out a bit!! The firing pin hits hard & deep & I initially thought pierced primers, but they were not. So I loaded up some more and uniformed the primer pockets beforehand with a carbide tool to perfect specs. SAME results!! As a control I loaded some with CCI Large Pistol Mag. and they looked normal. The Wolf primers were clearly backing out a bit and you could see it & feel it with your fingers.  ???  Now mind you, these were not "creampuff" BP Loads but rather "Warthog" 37 gr. GOEX FFg Mega testosterone loads!! By all rights slamming into the breech face upon recoil should have reseated them at least flush.

The only thing I can reason is that the face metal is softer on these and since my FP hits hard & deep that maybe when I cock after firing the primer pulls out a tad. What say you?  ???

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Odd Primer Behavior
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 06:43:47 AM »
Thanks for pointing this out.  I just won some Wolf primers at our annual club picnic, so I'll be on the lookout for it when I load them up.  I shoot a USFA FSS with a similar load in 44-40, so it should be interesting.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Fairshake

• Shooter of the HOLY BLACK
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 07:49:22 AM »
Was ready to buy some but I'm holding up after reading your post. This could lock up your gun at the wrong time
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:14:07 AM »

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live life to the fullest!
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 07:57:06 AM »
I purchased a lot of these awhile back. Maybe I'll gt a chance to check some loads this weekend. I can't say I've noticed any serious backing out problems so far, although I do recall a couple looking like they backed out some in February when I shot my pistols. Can't remember which caliber though - I was shooting various guns....

Offline Mako

• Shooter of the "holy Black", Frontier Gunfighter #1, STORM, Henry 1860
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cowboying since the Mid-20th Century
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 11:13:43 AM »
FCK,
You're probably right, there is no telling what that primer body is made of.   They may just be soft.

Was the primer flatten at all around the edges where it fits into the hole or was there still the original full radius from the face to the cylindrical portion?  Also when you look at an unfired primer, is the anvil more or less the same size and shape as an American Primer, or is the space between the legs of the anvil more restricted than an equivalent American primer?  If there is less of a path for the gas to flow it might be restricting it and it may be pushing the primer back more than on your other primers.

I know you have a lot of experience so bear with me here I'm just "brain storming" ideas. You've probably used the trick of opening up primer holes to allow you to shoot super wimpy loads, or even wax or other "bullets."  If you restrict the primer flow without the corresponding set back of the case cause by recoil against the breech face the primer will push out.  If the primer is self restricting it might have a similar effect.

Regards,
Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 02:25:22 PM »
Interestingly enough I have seen on other gun forums that the intial runs of wolff primers were soft.  Those same posts though have said that the newer wolff primers meet the same specs as the major US companies.

I know someone who has gone through 5,000 of them already (new batch) with 0 problems.  I believe they were small pistol primers though.

The trick to me is that no one seems to be able to say when did the old batch of primers stop and when did the newer batch start.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 02:39:35 PM »
Mako & P.R., after digging around on the Internet some I found that some people have had problems with their Wolf non-Mag. rifle primers being soft as well. I'm sure that's what it is as there is no other plausible reason possible. Primers reseat when they hit the breech face. It's not enough to bind up the gun by any means and doesn't bother me. It's just odd. I could stone down the FP a frog hair but I like good solid hits.

I understand the priming compound is different as well. It may be my imagination but the fouling seemed less as well by a tad. Then again, any given day with any given weather affects BP fouling a lot.

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 02:54:08 PM »
FCK that is interesting - makes me wonder if Wolff by chance are taking some info from the German company that makes C&B caps.

I have not shot alot of C&B in cowboy matches but plenty plinking on the farm and the German caps are by far hotter than any amercian made one that I have tried. 

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmm?
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 07:13:12 PM »
I could never get those RWS caps to fit a nipple!! Always too small. I used the can as nipple cleaners. I know I just threw the barn door wide open here for a joke.  :-[ ;D

Offline Fairshake

• Shooter of the HOLY BLACK
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 09:10:39 AM »
Ok FCK but it seems as that would be a little too ruff for me to try. Even if they are soft as you say.
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com