Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2017, 12:06:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Cosie's Corner & Feed Bag  |  The Pantry (Moderator: Delmonico)  |  Topic: Fires for Dutch Oven Cooking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fires for Dutch Oven Cooking  (Read 4948 times)
Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« on: February 22, 2009, 03:15:20 pm »

I am going through pictures and working on trying to do a slide show on dutch oven cooking by winter.

One of the most common questions I'm asked by folks getting started is how to set up the fire, so here is some I've done recently.

When we get somewhere, we get unloaded and build our fire, most often in a shallow hole.  The coffee pot gets put on as soon as we have fire and right after these water bath canners are filled with water and set nearby, this gives us hot water:

It takes a half hour to an hour, but we get coals built up:

Then the real cooking starts as seen by the two ovens in this picture:

How to get the ovens going just takes practice, start with something that don't burn easily till you build up skill and learn how to regulate the heat.

Many dishes such as baking need coals on top and bottom to regulate the heat right, rule of thumb is 1/3 on bottom:

And 2/3 on top: 

This oven should run right at 375 to 400F for about 20 minutes then start to drop some.

One can see the heat in this night picture:

The coals on top the oven can also be used to cook other things, these trivets are useful to set on top and then set other items on:

Like coffee pots:

Stacked ovens and coffee pot:

Or homemade caramel in a sauce pan:

Or sometimes (no picture, yet) used to hold a skillet to make a quick lunch for the cooks.

In this picture they are set on the ground to set lids on when removed from the ovens:

Like this one where I'm checking on progress:

In this picture I've created a bit of smoke trying to get a fire build back up after removing most of the coals:

The items cooking are pot roast that has been seared and is now just cooking slow, so coals are really not needed on top right now:

The same fire with it going again, but a couple of hours later and more ovens going.  The four ovens in the previous picture have been moved back by the coffee pots:

This one is a friend of mine and I, he's out checking to see how much damage I've done to his lawn.  (He has about 75 guests showing up in a hour or so.)

About 95 that day, the fire and the weather sent up a few heat waves and distorted the picture a bit. There are 13 ovens going at the time.

And a little bit later I got two more going for my largest total,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,so far.

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.
Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 05:12:42 pm »

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 05:15:45 pm »

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 01:09:38 pm »

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 07:08:37 pm »

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Cosie's Corner & Feed Bag  |  The Pantry (Moderator: Delmonico)  |  Topic: Fires for Dutch Oven Cooking « previous next »
Jump to: