Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2017, 07:07:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Darksider's Den  |  The Dark Arts (Moderator: Lucky Irish Tom)  |  Topic: Bullet Casting Questions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bullet Casting Questions  (Read 16463 times)
Four Eyed Floyd
Top Active Citizen

Welcome to Deadwood

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2009, 07:07:14 pm »

Sounds like a plan Cuts!

I learned most of what casting I do from this forum and put it to use, here is some advice to Newbies:

Figure out what kind of bullets you will need and buy those. I didn't and now have 5 or 6 molds. When I moved to the Dark arts all I cast is BigLube Snakebites, the other molds go wanting.

Get a good (but not expensive) melter I got the Lee 4/20 and it is easy to use.

Become the guy always looking for lead and let everyone know that, you'd be suprized who has a stash of lead lying around in their garage.

Get some beeswax and crisco 50/50 mix for lube and you are good to go.

Helpful items: bullet sizer, welding gloves and a table to work on.
It is really not hard and kind of fun to challenge yourself to make better and better bollits.
Good luck and welcome!  Grin
All my set you back about $200 if you shop around.

Four Eyed Floyd
SASS #75002
RATS #391
BOSS #186
STORM #311
Scioto Territory Desperadoes
Springfield Slim
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2009, 08:16:16 pm »

I personally don't smoke the moulds. I have found that as long as they are clean and up to temp the bullets generally fall out fine. I tried it a couple of times with recalcitrant moulds and found it didn't help, just needed to hit that sweet spot of proper mould and lead temp. I also tried mould release but decided it was a waste of my money also. I cast a few thousand bullets a week and if it helped, believe me, I would do it. I do strongly agree with Driftwood that buying a thermometer is money well spent, otherwise you are just shooting in the dark. Also makes it easier to be be consistant in your casting. Otherwise you are always fiddling with the temp to get it to work the same as the last time.

Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster
Frenchie
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2009, 12:49:06 am »

I've been happy with how MILITEC-1 works on my firearms. Could it keep steel molds from rusting and help release bullets if they tended to stick?

Yeah, I know, I think too much. Cool

Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vÍtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.
Jefro
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

know matter where you go, there you are

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2009, 03:22:02 pm »

Another beginner questions. What about sprue plate lube?? Are ya'll using bullet lube or Bullshop sprue plate lube?? Or none of the above?

Thanks, Jefro

sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber
Noz
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2009, 04:05:46 pm »

I smoke the mold ONCE when it is new and never again. I like the Bull Plate lube.

Noz
Ruger Old Armys avec poudre noire
Bristow Kid
I've got a touch of hangover beuracrate. Don't push me
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Matthew(Matt) Bohach

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2009, 05:13:45 pm »

Whats a sprue plate?

Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG
Angel_Eyes
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2009, 05:51:18 pm »

Bristow Kid, the sprue plate is the piece of metal over the cavities that you have to knock sideways to cut off the excess lead ,or 'sprue' as it's known.

As long as the spring tension is correct for the pivot pin then it should not need lubing. Any lube would be burnt off anyway by the heat of the moulds when up to casting temp  and if introduced to the cavities would cause bad castings.

One other tip:- always over pour to ensure complete filling of the mould and expell any trapped air.

UKshooter

Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Darksider's Den  |  The Dark Arts (Moderator: Lucky Irish Tom)  |  Topic: Bullet Casting Questions « previous next »
Jump to: