Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2017, 12:20:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  GENERAL TOPICS  |  Books & Movies (Moderator: Marshal Halloway)  |  Topic: What's your favorite Western? 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's your favorite Western?  (Read 188076 times)
Stillwater
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #450 on: September 19, 2013, 12:52:51 pm »

When I first found this forum a few months ago, I really thought I found something special, but a few individuals on this forum act like 13 year old girls arguing over Justin Biebers haircut.

Reading the posts of these individuals is kind of like watching a monkey fornicate with a football.

Why don't you guys step away from the keyboard, buy some Vagisil, inflatable dounut pillow, apply Vagisil to irritated mommy parts and take a break from the board.

It would be highly benificial to those of us who would prefer not to read your Keyboard Tourettes Tantrums.

An amazingly articulate post... And I agree with him...

Bill
The Black Spot
Citizen

« Reply #451 on: October 18, 2013, 08:09:58 am »

Cast my vote for everything Glenn Ford and Randolph Scott ever did !  Grin

Definitely! Especially Scott in "7 men from now"

Alan Ladd has some good westerns; "whispering Smith" , "branded" and of course "shane"
Hambone Dave
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #452 on: February 28, 2014, 09:57:29 am »

What makes a movie a "Western".
Some of those mentioned here are westerns because the characters wore a 'cowboy' hat.
Civil War movies aren't westerns.
What is needed is specific minimum elements that must be present in a movie for it to be considered a western.
Below are some suggestions:

Cattle, horses, stagecoach, gunfight, Indians, time period, buffalo, miners, robbers, covered wagon, majestic landscapes, blacksmith, ranch, railroad, campfire, coyote/bear/deer/elk/eagle/buffalo/trout, sodbusters, plains, cavalry and forts. 
stuck_in_73
-Jeff
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #453 on: April 02, 2014, 10:27:59 pm »

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is my favorite. Then High Plains Drifter. Here is artwork I just finished!

"I HAVE A VERY STRICT GUN CONTROL POLICY: IF THERE'S A GUN AROUND, I WANT TO BE IN CONTROL OF IT."
-Clint Eastwood

~Winchester/Miroku 1873 sporting .357/38
~Winchester SXP Waterfowl 12g
~Uberti 1873 .45 long colt
~Ruger LC9 9mm
~Ruger GP100 .357
~Desert Eagle 1911.45acp
~Marlin 336SS .30-30
The Trinity Kid
Top Active Citizen

These are some of my...Friends

« Reply #454 on: April 03, 2014, 11:09:25 am »

You are a very talented artist!

--TK

"James shook his head and twirled his Colt into it's holster with a smile.  There was some coffee left in the pot, so he poured it in his cup and leaned against the wall by the door.  The sun was setting in the distance, creating a beautiful sunset. 
   “Texas has better sunsets.”  He heard Terri say next to him.  He turned to face her.
   “Of course it does.  But we gotta get what we can in the mean time.” He said with a lopsided grin.  She smiled back and pulled her Colt, stuffing the barrel into his belly.
   “Yer' getting slow.  Better work on that.”  She said and walked back into the house with the empty coffee pot. 
   “We saw that, y' know.”  Clint Rounds said laughing.   James turned red and tried to hide his embarrassment."   Excerpt fromTHE FLOPPY HAT FROM TEXAS," being written by yours truly.

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?
medic15al
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #455 on: July 23, 2014, 04:49:51 pm »

I like "The Outlaw Josie Wales" and "Tombstone" as my favorites.   Smiley

That artwork kinda looks like the movie poster for Josie Wales.
willcarter
Citizen

« Reply #456 on: August 12, 2014, 11:18:39 am »

The Proposition is one of my favourite Westerns... 3:10 is great... Open Range was decent... Unforgiven is classic... watching more for research so I will update this post in a couple days!

Mean Bob Mean
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #457 on: August 12, 2014, 01:10:37 pm »

Just watched over course of a few weeks the "Cavalry Trilogy" of John Ford with Wayne et al. 

If not seen, highly recommended.

"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger
Gabriel Law
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #458 on: December 16, 2014, 12:54:06 pm »

I didn't go through all 19 pages of this thread, so I may be duplicating someone else's foavourite(s).

Lonesome Dove (all 11 1/2 hours of it)
HBO's Deadwood series
and I recently found Hell on Wheels on Nexflix...lots of fun.
Willie Dixon
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

SSS #245 STORM #362 SCORRS C&BWarthog

« Reply #459 on: December 16, 2014, 01:56:44 pm »

and I recently found Hell on Wheels on Nexflix...lots of fun.

I gotta agree with that one.  Just found it on Netflix myself, and it's been a blast!  We've been watching it non-stop here for about a week.

on a non-historical side, but present day "westerns" I like:
"Pure Country"
"Country Strong"
and a little Canadian TV show "Heartland"

I think they count enough, if not, they certainly count as "country" or "cowboy."  We had family visiting, and little half-pint's Grandma told her to eat her breakfast.  It was so adorable, little half-pint told her: "I don't know where you come from, but out here, we take care of the animals first."

Shocked Grin Basically, it's her chore (she just turned 4) to feed the cat in the mornings! Cheesy

and yes, I love Clint Eastwood... and yep, his best role:
http://youtu.be/YNvOl_Yml3U

beautiful work Stuck_in_73

At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
nagantino
Top Active Citizen

Oh yeah.......

« Reply #460 on: January 07, 2015, 03:59:02 pm »

The Western has always provided great entertainment and sometimes a way of looking at ourselves. The movies of the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, all provided a pure landscape. The canvas was clean and stories of simplicity or complexity could be painted with no problem. The years since have broken that simple spell. Thei 60's began a Comedy thing that marked for me, the decline of the Western. Some good stuff was still to come....It's hard to go back. It seemed that every director wanted to show The Real West and social comment was required. But as the 60's ended some great stuff had been made Hombre, Guns in the Afternoon, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid, True Grit and The Wild Bunch. I don't rate Italian Westerns. To me they are grotesque. It's a complex subject and hard to generalise. Don't forget that TV was awash with Western weekly series to back the genre up also back then. Can it be revived? No it can't but just as long as every few years a good Western yarn comes along, then I'm happy. Who would have thought that True Grit could be made again?
Coal Creek Griff
Top Active Citizen

With Cheyenne Luke

« Reply #461 on: January 07, 2015, 06:30:50 pm »

I had to do some research on "Guns in the Afternoon".  That's apparently what our British friends call "Ride the High Country".

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573
nagantino
Top Active Citizen

Oh yeah.......

« Reply #462 on: January 08, 2015, 04:46:57 am »

OK Griff........put up your Dukes. I'm Irish. We don't take kindly to that kinda talk in these parts. Yes your right, the name was changed on this Side of the Atlantic. It was very common and no one, that I know of, knew why. Film distributors eh......
Coal Creek Griff
Top Active Citizen

With Cheyenne Luke

« Reply #463 on: January 08, 2015, 11:42:38 pm »

Well now, I have a strong Irish connection, so I'll just buy you a pint by way of apology.  Then we can go watch "Ride the Guns in the High Afternoon Country"Wink

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573
nagantino
Top Active Citizen

Oh yeah.......

« Reply #464 on: January 09, 2015, 04:33:15 am »

Thanks I'll have a pint of Guinness please. Sounds like a good movie.   Wink
Ike Kant
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #465 on: February 12, 2015, 07:11:16 pm »

My favorite is The Big Country.  Sure there are plenty of Westerns that are more spectacular and have a higher body count but this film is a superb character study.  Captain Jim McKay represents what I consider the ideal, ultimate human being.  We could all aspire to be as honorable and courageous.  Only Gregory Peck could have done the role justice. Jean Simmons' portrayal of Julie Maragon is nothing short of stunning.  And what a cast - Charlton Heston as a tough top hand and Best Supporting Actor Burl Ives.  It has a great musical score too.  

"We should come home from afar,  from adventures and perils and discoveries every day, with new experiences and character." - Henry David Thoreau
stuck_in_73
-Jeff
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #466 on: February 16, 2015, 12:32:56 pm »

Just watched True Grit (2010) last night. Yeah I know I'm 5 years late but what a great movie. Definetly up there on great westerns IMO. Yes I know there is a John Wayne original and yes I tried watching it and ended up turning it off half hour in. I'm just not a bandwagon John Wayne fan I guess. But the new True Grit was great.

"I HAVE A VERY STRICT GUN CONTROL POLICY: IF THERE'S A GUN AROUND, I WANT TO BE IN CONTROL OF IT."
-Clint Eastwood

~Winchester/Miroku 1873 sporting .357/38
~Winchester SXP Waterfowl 12g
~Uberti 1873 .45 long colt
~Ruger LC9 9mm
~Ruger GP100 .357
~Desert Eagle 1911.45acp
~Marlin 336SS .30-30
Good Troy
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

GAF Grand Muster 2017

« Reply #467 on: February 16, 2015, 01:20:05 pm »

My favorite is (was) Deadwood, the HBO series.
The characters developed well over the series.  This made it easier for me to overlook the foul language.
Ian McShane did an excellent job of potraying a ruthless and brutal, but caring character.
Brad Dourif (Doc Cochrane) and William Sanderson (E.B Farnum) are worth mentioning, too. 

Good Troy
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638
nagantino
Top Active Citizen

Oh yeah.......

« Reply #468 on: February 17, 2015, 11:29:00 am »

The Big Country is a superb movie. It's the music for me, that captures the vast plains and sheer expanse of the place. Gregory Peck and Charlton Heston are one of the modern cinema's Classic pairings.  I've just remembered a movie called Tampopo. It's a japanese take-off of the western. A truck driver stops at a Noodle bar road stop. He stays to help the female owner perfect the terrible noodle recipe, Shane, he gathers up a team of noodle experts to help him, The Magnificent Seven, and he fist fight a guy out on the prarie in long shot, The Big Country.  Oh there are parts in the rest of the movie I don't understand but lots of raunch though.
Jake C
Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #469 on: June 03, 2015, 09:38:36 am »

Tough one for me. Let's see...as far as films go, I have a hard time thinking of something better than the Coen Bros. True Grit. It was well acted, the cinematography was excellent, and while not an exact copy, it stuck closer to the spirit of the book (which is fantastic, and should be read if you get the chance - it just drips authenticity).

For Television, it's a toss up between Hell on Wheels & Deadwood. Deadwood felt more authentic, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better TV western in terms of how it was shot, the budget, authenticity or character development. That being said, Hell on Wheels is just a ton of fun.

However, my number 1 spot might have to go to a video game called 'Red Dead Redemption.' The game is set in 1911, and follows a former outlaw who is being forced to track down and kill his former gang members. It was what got me interested in the Old West, and so I owe it a lot. One of those things that'll always have a special place in my heart.

Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800
Mean Bob Mean
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #470 on: June 03, 2015, 10:55:31 am »

All good films, Big Country is a great film and the modern True Grit is also superb.  I watched Appaloosa Again last night, the modern version, and I love that little film because it is quiet and the characters are stoic and quaint as hell.  Really recommend it.

Both those TV westerns, Deadwood and Hell on Wheels are must watching for any cowboy.

"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger
nagantino
Top Active Citizen

Oh yeah.......

« Reply #471 on: June 03, 2015, 03:44:59 pm »

So many great scenes in Big Country. On his first morning on the Majors Ranch, Jim takes a walk.
Jim: Good Morning
Cowboy: Howdy

Jim: Good Morning
Cowboy: Howdy

Jim: Howdy
Cowboy: Good Morning
Blair
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #472 on: June 03, 2015, 04:15:19 pm »

The overall cast of "The Big County" was also very well done.
A movie I like, as a whole, very much.
My best,
 Blair

A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21
Gustav Ritter
Citizen

« Reply #473 on: February 24, 2016, 05:36:03 pm »

Stagecoach (1939).  I'm not a big fan of John Wayne but he is great in this.  Andy Devine and John Carradine are also really good.  For more modern films I like the 2004 version of The Alamo (especially Billy Bob Thornton as David Crockett)  and Deadwood.
Mean Bob Mean
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #474 on: February 25, 2016, 12:47:14 pm »

Stagecoach (1939).  I'm not a big fan of John Wayne but he is great in this.  Andy Devine and John Carradine are also really good.  For more modern films I like the 2004 version of The Alamo (especially Billy Bob Thornton as David Crockett)  and Deadwood.

Good choices all

- Cole Younger
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  GENERAL TOPICS  |  Books & Movies (Moderator: Marshal Halloway)  |  Topic: What's your favorite Western? « previous next »
Jump to: