Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2017, 03:20:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  WESTERN 3 GUN (Moderators: Sam Houston, Black Jack Traven)  |  Topic: Cowboy Load for .44 Marlin 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cowboy Load for .44 Marlin  (Read 16508 times)
Angel_Eyes
Top Active Citizen

« on: August 24, 2008, 04:04:51 am »

Any of you guys seen my post in 'Shooters Meetings', someone must use one of these!

Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!
Sir Charles deMouton-Black
THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 04:38:08 am »

I have a Browning 92BLR;  But, I haven't tried either Bulleye nor Unique.  Both are generally good, useful powders.  Go to the ALLIANT website to get loads.

Here's the link.  go to page 66

http://glarp.atk.com/2008/2008_Catalogs/AlliantPowderCatalog.pdf

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”
Modoc
Top Active Citizen

Editor, Shasta Regulators State of Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 11:28:32 am »

One of the sets that I use for CAS is a B92 in 44 Mag and a pair of Ruger vaqueros in 44 also.  I am loading the rifle with 240gr RNFP cast over 6.0 gr of Unique.  This has been a standby for the last 15 years Grin.  I ;Df you are looking for milder recoil, consider the 200 gr RNFP  for less mass to push out the barrel. 

BTW, this load came from the Lyman #47 handbook as being safe within the Min-Max window.

Another powder that I use here is Trail Boss in the 44 Spl. with the 200gr RNFP, but that is tuned to the pistols for accuracy.

Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante
Irish Red O'Toole
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 10:51:01 pm »

Try 5.1 grains of Clays over a 200-grain bullet.  That should give you just short of 1,000 fps from a rifle and 650-700 fps from a pistol.  YMMV
Lumpy Grits
The Mojave Desert.......... Palmdale, Ca. U.S.A.
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 04:33:53 pm »

Hi, I shoot .44mag. for CAS and have had great luck with 6.5 Unique and a 240 gr. RNFP bullet for both pistol and rifle.
I also use a Lee Factory Crimp die for a firm crimp on my mixed brand brass.
Best of luck.
Respectfully,
LG

"Bugscuffle" & "Petrinal" =  'small minded' TROLLS----Don't 'feed' them!
Angel_Eyes
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 09:01:50 am »

Thanks guys, I can see it's gonna cost me a small fortune to try out all these different powders. Just gets better and better!!

Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
Buck Rawhide
RATS #446
Citizen

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 08:14:33 pm »

Do you have any other powders besides Bullseye and Unique?  Clays is pretty popular for a lot of the handgun calibers and should work well here also.  You won't spend a small fortune in powders, just a few dollars until you find what works.  I like Clays because it burns so clean that I don't have to spend much time at the cleaning bench when I get home.

Check over at Hodgdon's reloading site.  Lots of loads you can try.  http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

BTW, I just ran some 240gr LRNFP over 6.0gr of Trail Boss yesterday in a .44 Mag Model 94.  Very soft and accurate, at least at the 35yd plates I was shooting at...

Take care,
Buck
Angel_Eyes
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 01:05:38 pm »

Do you have any other powders besides Bullseye and Unique?  Clays is pretty popular for a lot of the handgun calibers and should work well here also.  You won't spend a small fortune in powders, just a few dollars until you find what works.  I like Clays because it burns so clean that I don't have to spend much time at the cleaning bench when I get home.

Check over at Hodgdon's reloading site.  Lots of loads you can try.  http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

BTW, I just ran some 240gr LRNFP over 6.0gr of Trail Boss yesterday in a .44 Mag Model 94.  Very soft and accurate, at least at the 35yd plates I was shooting at...

Take care,
Buck

Thanks Buck, but just getting powder over here in Britain is like collecting rocking horse sh*t, there ain't a lot about. What there is of it has mysteriously climbed in value, sorry...price, value's got nothing to do with it, I do believe we poor reloaders are being held to ransom in the name of profit.Thanks to all you contributors, I've made a note of all your suggestions for loads.

Garand
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 10:53:10 pm »

For the last 10 years in my .44 Magnum Marlin M1894S, I've been 7.2 grains of Unique pushing a 240 grain RNFP bullet. No problem getting cloverleaf accuracy at 50m, and it will knock down steel reactive targets if they are in the scenario.

SASS # 93688
aka Dapper Dynamite Dick
Rooster Ron Wayne
Rooster
Very Active Citizen

Lube your Balls & Cap your Nipples ~ Just Sayin !

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 07:26:05 am »

6.5gr Unique over 200gr bullet .
Kinda funny  but  I use the same load for 44 special  and 44/40 .
Works great for all three !
Just sayin
Rooster

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 05:08:19 pm »

Rooster ..... Necromancy??  You do realize this thread was started 9 ... That's NINE years ago and DIED 8 years ago??  Talk about Diggin up Bones .... you real real bored??

Coffinmaker

PS:  44 Russian, APP, 200Gr Bullet for Rifle,  44 Russian, 14 - 15 Gr 2F APP, Top with Cream-0-Wheat, 160Gr bullet for pistol.

PSS:  44 Russian case in a Marlin will take some carrier modification as will 44 Russian in a toggle rifle.

PSSS:  I suggest we re-bury this one with proper honors  Tongue
Coal Creek Griff
Top Active Citizen

With Cheyenne Luke

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 05:51:40 pm »

Necromancy LIVES!!  IT'S ALIVE! (I'm having flashbacks to the late-night horror flicks I used to watch on TV).

Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573
Trailrider
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 10:30:58 am »

I've used 7.5 gr. Hodgdon's Universal behind a 213.5 gr bullet in both OM Vaqueros in .44 Mangle-em and in a Rossi M92 in the same cartridge. Muzzle velocity from a 7.5" barrel runs around 950 ft/sec, with accuracy about 1-5/8" five-round groups on the bench at 25 yds.  Universal is maybe a touch faster than Unique, and burns cleanly.  MV from the 20" bbl rifle is about 1200 ft/sec.  Your results may vary.

Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  WESTERN 3 GUN (Moderators: Sam Houston, Black Jack Traven)  |  Topic: Cowboy Load for .44 Marlin « previous next »
Jump to: