Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2017, 12:32:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  GENERAL TOPICS  |  Tall Tales (Moderator: Silver Creek Slim)  |  Topic: Beer Drinkin', Racin' 'n Football 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 175 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beer Drinkin', Racin' 'n Football  (Read 794340 times)
Arcey
Underlord of Soot
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2008, 06:33:24 pm »

Kindah halfway wish NASCAR would scrap this thing ‘n just go with Cup ‘n  trucks.

The 18 is kilt. 

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.
litl rooster
Cowboy Philanthropist
Top Active Citizen

I ain't sold my saddle

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2008, 08:24:15 pm »

Interesting!

Since a Challenger is essentially a citified 'Cuda ...

Yep friend showed a link to me last year on the Challenger

Had Cuda  one time, was young n foolish....compared to now old and foolish

"the ringin' of my jinglebobs is music to my soul.

Joshua 1.9

Four-Eyed Buck
Top Active Citizen

Tusco LongRiders,

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2008, 08:34:16 pm »

One of my friends from when I grew up had a new '70. Copper color with a brown vinyl roof, 340 auto. Rolled it in a corn field, totalled. Beautiful car, though...................Buck Cool Roll Eyes Undecided

I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....
Steel Horse Bailey
Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2008, 12:32:55 am »

Well!

4 Eyed Buck, thanks to you I sought information on the new Challenger.  I saw the one that they just auctioned for charity.  Serial # 43, $40K base price - it brought over $220,000.

And I think they screwed the pooch.  It got modernized (as it would have to) - but ugly.  I am VERY disappointed.  It looks too ... safe.  And rounded.  'Specially right under the front grill.  It's hard to describe.  I could probably FORCE myself to be seen in one  Wink  but honestly, even IF I had that kind of money, I wouldn't get one.  Your mileage may vary.

I didn't check out the "new" Camaro.  I was afraid they'd have changed it too much, too.

Don't get me wrong, it ain't UGLY ---- it just ain't  ... well ...

Huh

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"        

SEE MY PHOTOS: http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b70/m1a1mstrgn/
NCOWS #1919 for Life, SASS Life #27463, NRA Life, Honourable Master of the Black Arts, GAF#98, SBSS, WARTHOG, STORM, American Legion Post # 495
*and a few other organizations*
F.&A.M. - Wayne Guthrie Lodge #753 *** Hiram's Rangers #105
(former) US Army M1 & M1A1 Tank Master Gunner
AKA - Jeff Bailey  A Three-Percenter & Sheepdog

Take me out to the black, tell 'em I aint comin' back. Burn the land; boil the sea: you can't take the sky from me. Have no place I must be; since I found Serenity:  you can't take the sky from me.
by Joss Whedon 2002 - Firefly
Leo Tanner
RATS #401 STORM 330
Top Active Citizen

Life is Good

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2008, 01:01:35 am »

I love a Mopar product but there are a few models I'd jus as soon see them scrub.  That PT Cruiser is an abomonation as well as that Magnum.  While in KC I saw what happens in the match of PT vs. mailbox.  The Mailbox won an traffic was held up for hours while they cleared the plastic off the street.
     Woulld like to get behind the wheel of one of them Prowlers however...

Leo

"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Arcey
Underlord of Soot
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2008, 01:15:11 pm »

And I think they screwed the pooch.  It got modernized (as it would have to) - but ugly.  I am VERY disappointed.  It looks too ... safe.  And rounded.  'Specially right under the front grill.  It's hard to describe.  I could probably FORCE myself to be seen in one  Wink  but honestly, even IF I had that kind of money, I wouldn't get one.  Your mileage may vary.

Where I see the big difference, first glance at these retros, is the wheels ‘n tires. A much bigger wheel ‘n lower aspect ratio ‘n wider tire. They’re closer to the car’s corners too.

Me, myownself, don’t mind the tall wheels if they’re done tastefully ‘n the cars engineered for ‘em i.e. the Challenger. Nothin’ looks quite as dumb as some of the wheel ‘n tire combinations folks fit ta vehicles what weren’t. Makes ‘em look like clown cars at the circus.

The retros are smaller. Lighter. Lower center of gravity. Better balanced. An entirely different engine package. Aero shaped slicker. They’re built to turn. That, boys, is my game. A straight stretch is fun but they just connect the turns. Really get me a charge outtah off ‘n on ramps or rides out in the country where I can let my ride be herself. Enjoy the five speed rather than cuss the clutch when yer stuck in traffic.

Just an opinion, course, but that’s where the retros are gonna whip the originals. Thinkin’ that might be the difference in the look too.

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.
Leo Tanner
RATS #401 STORM 330
Top Active Citizen

Life is Good

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2008, 01:32:35 pm »

I rented a new Charger last time I flew into AZ.  Its a long ride from Pheonix to Sedona with some nice curves in the last stretch.  Have ta say it was a nice ride--comfortable and high performance rolled into one.  We had rented a convertable Mustang GT on the previous trip--looked good but not made for long rides if yer wife has a bad back.  I'd give the Charger an 8 out of 10 on all around performance and milage.

Leo

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Silver Creek Slim
Buckaroo
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2008, 02:18:56 pm »

I've always liked Mopar. My favorite "modern" Mopars are:

But I shouldn't get behind the wheel of either. Would be too tempting ta see what they can do.  Roll Eyes

This is my favorite Mopar.

Slim

NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!
Leo Tanner
RATS #401 STORM 330
Top Active Citizen

Life is Good

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2008, 02:39:54 pm »

Slim
     Yer first picture didn't show--would love to see it.  Remember the Super Bee?  That was a radical machine if I ever saw one.  Dusters were fun too as long as you had the 318 stead of that worthless straight six. 

Leo

Roland Deschain

Arcey
Underlord of Soot
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2008, 04:41:09 pm »

“Gentlemen, start your U.A.W. engines.” I guess the Toyota drivers can’t start theirs..

Four-Eyed Buck
Top Active Citizen

Tusco LongRiders,

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2008, 04:42:17 pm »

I liked the original Challengers, but my personal favorite was the Mustangs. Guess I just understood the Ford's better. The GTX Dodge for '67 was a real thumper, too.
 Susie's mid life crisis has as much standard horse power as the standard 289's did then, but out of a 4 liter V-6( 205 ponies). It does corner/steer better than my old ones. Lesse' 61x4=244. That engine is a 244ci by the old standards, original Windsor V-8's started out at 223, went to 260, then 289, then 302. The last incarnation was the 351......Buck Cool Roll Eyes Wink

Leo Tanner
RATS #401 STORM 330
Top Active Citizen

Life is Good

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2008, 04:50:55 pm »

Great thread Arcey!!!
     I can see this un goin on an on  Grin 
     As far as the 351's go Cleavland beat the snot out a Windsor.  289 an 302 had a good run from the factory an both were great motors.  The ATDC firing as opposed to the competion's BTDC really gave em some longevity.
     Luv talkin cars  Grin

Leo

Roland Deschain

Ozark Tracker
Top Active Citizen

my granddad on his mule around 1907

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2008, 04:58:05 pm »

I remember well the late 60's,  my Chevelle thought straight was the only direction to go.  made a world of passes down a quarter mile. Grin
I'm sure my little Toyota pickup would beat the old Chevelle on a road course,  It corners great.  but them quick runs sure were fun,  stop light to stop light.  it was just run what ya brung back then, a good foot on the clutch could overcome a lot of horsepower sometimes,  didn't need no stinking air conditioner back then, took away too much power,  Grin
when I was in College up at Stillwater, used to run whatever came along,  remember along about 1970 or 71 the 440  6 pack came out, ran a lot of those and beat a lot them,  too much power to get to the ground,  tires were awful back then.

lots of memories Grin

We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."
Texas Lawdog
NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

" We're all Here because We're not all There".

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2008, 05:00:59 pm »

The Cleveland heads beat the Windsor ones hands down. We got a couple of new 74 Torinos with the Cleveland engines and they ran good.  In 75, we got 2 more, but they had 460s in them. Man were they a handful. That was the only year they offered the 460 in the Torino.  In 76, we got 2 with the 351 Windsors, man they were dogs. They wouldn't run fast enough to catch a cold.

SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?
Four-Eyed Buck
Top Active Citizen

Tusco LongRiders,

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2008, 05:02:31 pm »

The Cleveland's had different heads and four-bolt mains compared to the Windsor's two bolts. They tried to marry them at one time as a performance mod, and then Ford came out with that 351M that wasn't too successful. Believe the lowered compresson rates foiled that one..............Buck Cool Roll Eyes

Texas Lawdog
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2008, 05:09:48 pm »

One thing about being an Old Cop is that you can remember when your Patrol cars ran on premium gasoline and had over 400 cubes under the hood.

SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?
Leo Tanner
RATS #401 STORM 330
Top Active Citizen

Life is Good

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2008, 05:12:09 pm »

OT
     That ol hard rubber was the pits.  Had to change the softies more often but worth it!!!  It's jus gotta stick to the road to use the motor's potential as I'm sure you know.  Nutin better than when it's 100 plus an the asphault's ready to fry an egg behind the wheel of a well powered vehicle  Grin
     TLD, Clev really had it right!  Did the Crown Vic's have them?

Leo  

Roland Deschain

Texas Lawdog
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2008, 05:17:40 pm »

That was Pre Crown Vic. time.  Leo, I started as a Cop in 1970 with a 429 Ford, and I'm out there.

Leo Tanner
RATS #401 STORM 330
Top Active Citizen

Life is Good

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2008, 05:30:26 pm »

They were smart to go with the 429 and not the 460.  Even with the 6 quart oil pan they was known to blow at high RPM.  God luv a big block.

Roland Deschain

Arcey
Underlord of Soot
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2008, 05:59:30 pm »

Geeeeezzzzz….. Taxin’ an old man’s mind.

Thinkin’ the Cleveland had a different block. Buck pointed out the four bolt main caps. The distributor went directly into the block. They didn’t have the PITA hunk of heater hose between the water pump and the intake either.

Bein’ a city cop most I had were the 318 Chrysler stuff that stayed in the garage almost as much as it stayed on the streets. The Malibus were fantastic.

The 20 is kilt.

Leo Tanner
RATS #401 STORM 330
Top Active Citizen

Life is Good

« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2008, 07:20:26 pm »

Geeeeezzzzz….. Taxin’ an old man’s mind.

Thinkin’ the Cleveland had a different block. Buck pointed out the four bolt main caps. The distributor went directly into the block. They didn’t have the PITA hunk of heater hose between the water pump and the intake either.

Bein’ a city cop most I had were the 318 Chrysler stuff that stayed in the garage almost as much as it stayed on the streets. The Malibus were fantastic.

The 20 is kilt.

RCS, jus think of it as exercize.  I haven't thought about these motors in a long time. 
     Gives me an opportunity to refresh ma memory an smile a bit  Smiley

Leo

Roland Deschain

Silver Creek Slim
Buckaroo
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2008, 11:07:50 pm »

Slim
     Yer first picture didn't show--would love to see it.  Remember the Super Bee?  That was a radical machine if I ever saw one.  Dusters were fun too as long as you had the 318 stead of that worthless straight six. 

Leo
They are the Prowler and Viper.

Slim

NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Texas Lawdog
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2008, 04:01:51 pm »

Slim,  Have you ever heard of a guy named Tommy Archer?   He has a race shop in Fort Worth and he races Vipers in the SCCA series.  Those are some bad rides.

Silver Creek Slim
Buckaroo
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2008, 08:50:03 pm »

Slim,  Have you ever heard of a guy named Tommy Archer?   He has a race shop in Fort Worth and he races Vipers in the SCCA series.  Those are some bad rides.
No, I have not. Kewl!  Grin

Slim

Texas Lawdog
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2008, 11:51:51 pm »

I will have to say that the Mopar police cars that I have driven were the fastest, My only complaint with them was that the brakes didn't last long in a high speed chase.  Did anybody notice the Pace car in Sunday's Nascar race?  A Dodge Charger Police Cruiser Demo unit complete with Lightbar.  That was COOL.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 175 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  GENERAL TOPICS  |  Tall Tales (Moderator: Silver Creek Slim)  |  Topic: Beer Drinkin', Racin' 'n Football « previous next »
Jump to: