Author Topic: set trigger  (Read 6889 times)

Offline eagles

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
set trigger
« on: January 24, 2008, 08:42:18 PM »
I put this in the 76 section as well . Does anyone know any real gunsmith who is willing to fabricate a set trigger for my 76 ? We all know these were quite popular in that model , even available in the 73 , they abound in muzzle loaders and sharps but no one seems to have the ability to put one in the old lever guns lilke they did in the 1800's in mass . This is really anoying to me as think it would be blast  and increase accuracy .  This would need to be fabricated or vultured from existing set trigers on the market and made to fit .

Offline Cincinnati Kid

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: set trigger
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 02:09:35 PM »
Hi.
Brand new member on this forum. Saw you post on set trigger for a 76 (73).
I have a complete set of original set trigger parts as well as the lower tang for a 73. I am willing to part with the parts.
I also have a copy of the stone book and I can copy chapter 4 for you.
Email me at greiner2atptd.net if you are interested.
Regards,
Cincinnati Kid

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 04:22:26 PM »
That post is like eight year old.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:10:02 PM »

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 11:05:08 PM »
That post is like eight year old.

It's a slow trigger.  ;D

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 03:24:44 PM »
Some years back, Well prior to 2008, when Uberti USA still existed, I had a conversation with Ms Uberti (Maria is Aldo's Daughter) about
the "Set Trigger" option for the High Wall and for the '73.  I was told at the time the boys in Brescia had finally quit working on both.  They
were unable to get either  to work reliably and at a price point to make it worthwhile to manufacture.  There were, at the time so few
"inquiries" for the set triggers it was decided not worth pursuing.

Coffinmaker

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 04:05:51 PM »
Coffinmaker
Have you ever put one on either a 73 or 76, my personal preferance is a good single trigger, have used a few hunting rifles with single and double set triggers and a sharps but could never get on them.
Buffalochip

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 04:10:42 PM »
I have heard of this sort of stuff over the years.
What a lot of folks don't realize is that a "fly" is needed in the half cock area to allow the trigger sear to ride over the half cock notch once the trigger is set.
Double set triggers are most common within the muzzle loading types of firearms. These may be in a single stage or double stage type of set trigger.
Single set triggers are a bit more complicated within arms like RR blocks and/or Winchester type firearms due to styling of the hammer and trigger arrangement.
However, they still need the use of a "fly" on the hammer, and away to keep the "fly" in place.

I don't know if this makes any since, but I hope it may help.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 04:14:08 PM »
I have heard of this sort of stuff over the years.
What a lot of folks don't realize is that a "fly" is needed in the half cock area to allow the trigger sear to ride over the half cock notch once the trigger is set.
Double set triggers are most common within the muzzle loading types of firearms. These may be in a singal stage or double stage type of set trigger.
Singal set triggers are a bit more complicated within arms like RR blocks and/or Winchester type firearms due to styling of the hammer and trigger arrangement.
However, they still need the use of a "fly" on the hammer, and away to keep the "fly" in place.

I don't know if this makes any since, but I hope it may help.
My best,
 Blair

A zipper?   ::)

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1174
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 04:16:57 PM »
Some years back, Well prior to 2008, when Uberti USA still existed, I had a conversation with Ms Uberti (Maria is Aldo's Daughter) about
the "Set Trigger" option for the High Wall and for the '73.  I was told at the time the boys in Brescia had finally quit working on both.  They
were unable to get either  to work reliably and at a price point to make it worthwhile to manufacture.  There were, at the time so few
"inquiries" for the set triggers it was decided not worth pursuing.

Coffinmaker

Are you talking single or double?  Double-set triggers have been available on the Uberti High and Low Walls for a long time.

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 06:19:00 PM »
The Uberyi Highwall double set trigger i saw can not be fired until the rear trigger is set. I dont like tne set up.
Buffalochip

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 08:04:43 PM »
The single set trigger on the original Winchesters was about as complicated as Obamacare, i.e., a SOB to work on.  ::)

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 07:18:35 AM »
I have a first model 73 with a set trigger. I've kinda wanted to take it apart to see how it works but the gun is in good working condition so I'm reluctant to mess with it.

It is a really nice trigger, I'd like to have it on some other Winchester type rifles.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 04:12:07 PM »
The problem child for the Uberti guys was of the Single Set type.  They may have looked at it again since I retired, but not that I know
of.

Cliff,
If you have a '73 with a good, working single set, I wouldn't take it apart either.  ;D

Coffinmaker

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 07:14:00 AM »
Cliff and Coffinmaker, I've got the single set on a second model and fortunately it still works. What I did was buy up a bunch of spare parts as they became available on EBay and have them squirreled away 'just in case'. After working on a standard second model a few times I'm loath to even look wrong at the set trigger gun for fear something will break. ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com