Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2017, 05:04:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1876 (Moderator: Grizzly Adams)  |  Topic: Got an original Winchester 1876 - share pics! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Got an original Winchester 1876 - share pics!  (Read 124847 times)
Snake River James
Active citizen

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2008, 11:11:24 am »

Beautiful rifle Buck!  I can see why you had to have it.   You already have the information on my rifle, by the way.

Grizz, my rifle shoots very well, but then it should, as the barrel is new (just "antiqued" on the outside).  The previous owner had it rebarreled (Douglas) in the original .45-60 of the old barrel.  I have the old barrel, so the rifle could be restored to original condition.  The bore is pretty rough, which is why the previous owner rebarreled it.
Grizzly Adams
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2008, 05:38:03 pm »

Grizz, my rifle shoots very well, but then it should, as the barrel is new (just "antiqued" on the outside).  The previous owner had it rebarreled (Douglas) in the original .45-60 of the old barrel.  I have the old barrel, so the rifle could be restored to original condition.  The bore is pretty rough, which is why the previous owner rebarreled it.

Well, he did a pretty good job on the antiquing of the Douglas barrel, as it sure is not apparent, at least in the picture. Smiley  A good solution, and one that can be reversed if need be.  I had toyed with that idea myself, but then the replicas became available. Smiley

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF
Grizzly Adams
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2008, 04:33:44 pm »

Here are some pics of my original 45-60.  Pretty nice metal, mostly gone to plume.  Action is very tight.  Original cleaning rods in the butt trap.  Wish I knew who "BP" was! Wink

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
GAF
Buck Stinson
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2008, 06:15:13 pm »

Beautiful rifle, Grizzly.  Guns in this condition really excite me.  What am I talking about; a '73 or '76 in any condition excites me.  It sure would be nice to know who carved the initials in the stock.  I was noticing the ears on the rear sight.  They appear to be a bitt taller than standard.  Do you think the sight was altered by a frontier gunsmith?

Adios,
Buck
Grizzly Adams
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2008, 07:09:59 pm »

Beautiful rifle, Grizzly.  Guns in this condition really excite me.  What am I talking about; a '73 or '76 in any condition excites me.  It sure would be nice to know who carved the initials in the stock.  I was noticing the ears on the rear sight.  They appear to be a bitt taller than standard.  Do you think the sight was altered by a frontier gunsmith?

Adios,
Buck

Quick eye! Smiley  I believe you are correct.  Note the graft in the pics Smiley

GAF
Buck Stinson
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2008, 08:00:38 pm »

WOW!!! That's a dandy.  The gunsmith that did the work, really knew what he was doing.  No hack job their.  What a great find on a gun like this.   I  collect vintage sights, mostly Winchester.  I have around 150 great original and frontier altered barrel sights.  The altered sights are always a great find, especially if they were done professionaly.  A friend of mine has a set of Freund sights on an 1876 rifle he owns.  The rear sight is an original long leaf but with Freund More Light improvments and the front sight is a standard More Light knife blade.   They are the prettiest barrel sights I have ever seen.  Both are Freund marked and appear to have been done in either the Cheyenne or Durango shop.

Adios,
Buck 
OKDEE
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2008, 09:54:35 am »

Griz, another great looker!    Wink  One of these days I will be getting something like that! 

Do you know, where on the CASCity area, that I can post a gun for sale?  I have that Chaparral NWMP carbine that is a really good one.  I just prefer to shoot and (work on)  with the Chaparral short rifle.

Oklahoma Dee
Grizzly Adams
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2008, 10:35:39 am »

WOW!!! That's a dandy.  The gunsmith that did the work, really knew what he was doing.  No hack job their.  What a great find on a gun like this.   I  collect vintage sights, mostly Winchester.  I have around 150 great original and frontier altered barrel sights.  The altered sights are always a great find, especially if they were done professionaly.  A friend of mine has a set of Freund sights on an 1876 rifle he owns.  The rear sight is an original long leaf but with Freund More Light improvments and the front sight is a standard More Light knife blade.   They are the prettiest barrel sights I have ever seen.  Both are Freund marked and appear to have been done in either the Cheyenne or Durango shop.

Adios,
Buck 

Now that is a find!  I really like the Freund More Light sights.  I am surprised that someone has not seen fit to reproduce them.  Too much interest in glass nowdays, I guess! Smiley

GAF
Buck Stinson
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2008, 11:34:43 am »

Grizzly,
The Freund More Light sights are being reproduced.  I saw some a few years back at the Colorado Arms Collectors show in Denver.  They were then and I believe still are made in the Ukrain.  They are top notch all the way.  I bought a set for a Trapdoor sporting rifle that I was building and they work great.  Buffalo Arms in Sandpoint, Id., has them in their catalog.  They come as a set, front knife blade and rear buckhorn and sell for around $135.00.  The set I bought fit a 3/8" Winchester dovetail.  Hope this will help.

Adios,
Buck
Grizzly Adams
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2008, 06:33:28 pm »

Grizzly,
The Freund More Light sights are being reproduced.  I saw some a few years back at the Colorado Arms Collectors show in Denver.  They were then and I believe still are made in the Ukrain.  They are top notch all the way.  I bought a set for a Trapdoor sporting rifle that I was building and they work great.  Buffalo Arms in Sandpoint, Id., has them in their catalog.  They come as a set, front knife blade and rear buckhorn and sell for around $135.00.  The set I bought fit a 3/8" Winchester dovetail.  Hope this will help.

Adios,
Buck

Must be gettin old! Cheesy  Been to that site (Buffalo Arms) a zillion times and never noticed those!  Thanks for the heads up! Smiley

GAF
Zip Wyatt
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2008, 12:19:43 pm »

My RCMP:

In pretty good shape - these had a hard life.

Zip

So what else is on your mind besides hundred-proof women, 'n' ninety-proof whiskey, 'n' fourteen-carat gold?
Buck Stinson
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2008, 01:13:59 pm »

Zip,
I remember that gun.  I'm glad you were able to pick it up.  The Mountie carbines are as rare as they get and yours is in much better condition than most.  Thanks for letting us take a look.

Adios,
Buck
Grizzly Adams
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2008, 01:45:38 pm »

Zip, thanks for posting the pics.  What a grand old Warrior!  Arms that "worked for a living" and show their history are so much more interesting than "closet guns." Smiley

By the by guys, I have made this thread a sticky so it don't get pushed to the bottom! Grin

GAF
Buck Stinson
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2008, 07:54:55 pm »

Well, I thought I'd through another one in the mix.  This is one of my original .40-60's.  This gun was shipped from the factory on September 28, 1885.  Letter states, "case hardened finish".  It also has extra finish walnut with beautiful tiger stripes in the stock.  Plain trigger, 28" octagon and original cleaning rod in the butt.   The gun has 95% original blue and 20% case color , with the balance turning a motled silver.  The bore is bright and shinny.

Adios,
Buck

Grizzly Adams
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2008, 01:01:12 am »

Buck, that is one beautiful rifle, truly stunning example! Smiley   When you see one like this, it really brings home the fact that this model was Winchester's flagship for a decade.

GAF
Ten Wolves Fiveshooter
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Live To Fight Another Day

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2008, 04:23:31 am »

Hello Buck

This is a beautiful 1876, Buck you must have one heck of a collection Pard, I for one can really appreciate these old guns , thanks for sharing

tEN wOLVES

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About
Marshal Deadwood
SHOOTER FOR HIRE
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2008, 08:28:16 am »

Gorgeous rifle !

Got a question for the knowledgable.... everyone seems to 'curse' the Uberti Red finish,,,yet we see your origininal that the wood finish looks exactly like it came from Uberti....

Do you think Uberti is actually more on the 'correct' side with finish than we think ? Tint wise , mean ?  I have done my share of 'ohh nooo that red ,,,,but,,,I'm starting to change my mind with more historic examples i see..

I have a pic somwheres of a pair of cased '60Army revolvers,,,obviously never used....and they look lilke they came in from Cimarron today....

I admit,,'my' eye likes the more 'brownish' finish on 19th century type guns..but it seems Uberit is closer than we might think on the 'reddish' hue in their stain Huh

Comments ?

Thanks pards,

Michael,,oops,,Marshal D.

Buck Stinson
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2008, 12:12:22 pm »

The color in the photo is not exactly true to the real color of the stock.  It is much more orange than shown in the photo.  When most standard production Winchesters were new, the color of the wood was very orange.  This color is evident only in the very high condition guns.  It didn't take much handling or sunlight to change the orange color to a darker red.  In have a perfect example in a .45-75 that I may try to post later.  The gun is almost new, with 95% of it's original finish overal.  The wood too, is perfect in every respect.  However, you can tell that it has seen some handling because the forend is darker than the butt stock.  There were certain serial ranges in various models, which have stocks and forends that are nearer the red color of the Uberti guns.  I don't know why this is, but my guess would be in the supply of wood used at those specific serial number runs.   I doubt that Winchester purchased all of their wood from the same supplier and it probably didn't come from the same forests, either.  It may also have been different colors in the stain.  However if this were the case, it makes you wonder why the shop would waffle back and forth on their stain recipe.   Very little info is left for further research and these qusetions have been asked for years.  Who knows.

Adios,
Buck
Grizzly Adams
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2008, 02:31:01 pm »

This is an interest subject.  I too have thought that Uberti gets a LOT of unjustified criticism over the finish they put on their rifles.  It really is pretty close to what is often seen on the originals.  Even between Uberti examples, you will see a wide degree of variation.  I have a 73 SRC that is about 10 years old, and very red in color.  On the other hand, my 1876 had more orange in it.  I personally think they do a pretty decent job with these arms. Smiley

Notice that I said "had" in regards to my Uberti 1876!  I am in the process of refinishing the wood to reduce the orange and highlight the red!  Looks like I'm going the wrong direction! Cheesy

GAF
Buck Stinson
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2008, 08:30:23 pm »

Marshall Deadwood and Grizzly Adams,
Here is the gun I mention in my earlier post.  I have a special attachment to all of my 1876 Winchesters, but this one is close to the top of the list.   I bought this gun in Denver about 10 years ago.  It is a .45-75 with factory sling swivels and special order long range tang and adjustable front globe sights.  This gun is near new in condition and clearly shows the orange color in the wood that we talked about earlier.  As you can see, the forend is darker than the butt stock.  Sinse the gun saw very little use, the darker forend comes from handling, where as the buttstock is closer to the original and standard orange color. 

This front sight is very rare and was only offered by Winchester for two years before it was discontinued.  It is similar to the Beach front sight that we are most familiar with, but the mechanics that make it work are very different.

Adios,
Buck

doc cable
Citizen

« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2008, 09:33:16 pm »

here's mine:

excellent original condition overall

half octagon half round, button magazine

special sights, multiple leaf folding rear with ladder

midrange vernier tang sight

wonderful mirror bore, like new as many in this caliber are

has letter giving details

I think this is my favorite rifle, next to my 1886 brownchester custom; have only shot it a little, but have loaded a lot more rounds in anticipation of the coming warmer weather.
Grizzly Adams
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2008, 10:30:51 pm »

Welcome, Doc Cable!  Thanks for bringing that pretty lady over for us to see. Smiley

Buy the way, I spent 25 years in Alaska, and my cousin is still in Anchorage.  Works for Spenard Builders.

GAF
Buck Stinson
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2008, 10:39:50 am »

Doc, that's a dandy Express rifle.  I couldn't help noticing by the letter, that the rifle once belonged to Mike Ginn in Texas.  In years gone by, Mike was a heavy dealer and collector of Express rifles in both the 1876 and 1886 models.  I used to see him at shows like Denver and Cody with sometimes a dozen or more .50's in both models.  I remember one year in Cody, he had ten '76  .50-95's for sale on his table.  He was always willing to let me record the numbers and features for my list.  Somewhere along the line, your gun was recorded on my list.  If you didn't supply me with the information, then I may have gotten it from Mike.  Great rifle.

Adios,
Buck
Grogan
Top Active Citizen

SASS #3584

« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2008, 02:43:25 am »

This is an interest subject.  I too have thought that Uberti gets a LOT of unjustified criticism over the finish they put on their rifles.  It really is pretty close to what is often seen on the originals.  Even between Uberti examples, you will see a wide degree of variation.  I have a 73 SRC that is about 10 years old, and very red in color.  On the other hand, my 1876 had more orange in it.  I personally think they do a pretty decent job with these arms. Smiley

Notice that I said "had" in regards to my Uberti 1876!  I am in the process of refinishing the wood to reduce the orange and highlight the red!  Looks like I'm going the wrong direction! Cheesy

I know that at least on the Winchester Model 12 Shotguns, Winchester used what is known as their "Red Oil Finish".

There's a fellow who has the original formula and mixes up and sells this (I think he advertises in The Gun List, haven't looked in several years).

Somewhere around here I have a small bottle that I bought from him.

My guess is this wasn't reserved just for Model 12s but was probably used on most Winchester models, even those dating back a long time.

You might consider seeing if you can find some of this to refinish your Uberti with?

Regards,
Grogan, SASS #3584

Frontiersman: The only category where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s. -Canada Bill
Grizzly Adams
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2008, 01:44:19 pm »

I know that at least on the Winchester Model 12 Shotguns, Winchester used what is known as their "Red Oil Finish".

There's a fellow who has the original formula and mixes up and sells this (I think he advertises in The Gun List, haven't looked in several years).

Somewhere around here I have a small bottle that I bought from him.

My guess is this wasn't reserved just for Model 12s but was probably used on most Winchester models, even those dating back a long time.

You might consider seeing if you can find some of this to refinish your Uberti with?

I do recall that.  I believe it may be these folks. Smiley

http://www.tapaderaswinchesters.com/stain.html

I note that they now have it in brown as well as the original red stain. Smiley

GAF
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1876 (Moderator: Grizzly Adams)  |  Topic: Got an original Winchester 1876 - share pics! « previous next »
Jump to: