Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 25, 2017, 02:55:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Regional Topics  |  Chinook Country (Moderators: RattlesnakeJack, Sir Charles deMouton-Black)  |  Topic: Frontier Action Shooting in BC 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Frontier Action Shooting in BC  (Read 68186 times)
Sir Charles deMouton-Black
THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2011, 10:00:48 pm »

I didn't make it myself, but I heard it was a great success.  With a limit of 50 competitors, they actually acquired 60! The best turnout ever.  here is Grey Fox's report;

Carl:
Greetings from Liberty Ranch.

Lady Shootist Victoria Diamond wins Top Gun!  First woman shootist to garner the honour at Headquarters. The Victoria Frontier Shootists of the Victoria Fish & Game hosted  Headquarters 20th Annual September 3rd & 4th 2011. A vibrant and action packed weekend highlighted by Tex and Cat Ballou representing the Single Action Shooting Society based in New Mexico. Tex presented the shooting competition certificates and awards. Multiple participants have been quoted "the best ever". Headquarters was a 10 stage Cowboy Action Main Match Saturday all day and Sunday morning. Sunday afternoon, Cornelius O'Keefe from Germany conducted the mid range and Scheutzen Rifle Competition. The Scheutzen was won by 15 year old Six Gun Simon. Headquarters is the oldest SASS affiliated match in Canada. The event was topped off by a steak bar-b-que on Saturday and a Gala catered dinner on Sunday evening. Headquarters marked 30 years of Cowboy Action Shooting, 25 years of Cowboy Action Shooting in Western Canada and 20 years of Headquarters as an event.

Best regards,
Grey Fox

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 09:33:41 am »

The Victoria Frontier Shootists:
The Frontier Shootists will hold their annual Bunkhouse Match on October 23rd.
The day will include 6 stages and lunch for $30. Registration forms will be available
shortly.
For further information please contact the Match Director, Terry Bowyer aka Neut Reno
at neutreno@shaw.ca

Crotchety Old Grouch
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2011, 03:17:35 pm »

Was just trolling around the SASS Annual match schdule for next year and saw that next years (2012) Headquarters match in Victoria is titled, "Pig War At Solmonella Gulch".  It will be interesting to see the stages Grey Fox comes up with considering the historical referance.  The following weekend the SASS Canadian Championship will be at Courtenay.  Guess I'm gonna have to make another trip up north
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2011, 03:59:01 pm »

Was just trolling around the SASS Annual match schdule for next year and saw that next years (2012) Headquarters match in Victoria is titled, "Pig War At Solmonella Gulch".  It will be interesting to see the stages Grey Fox comes up with considering the historical referance.  The following weekend the SASS Canadian Championship will be at Courtenay.  Guess I'm gonna have to make another trip up north

Hedley Lamar & Lou Graham provided the inspiration.   We would love to see a strong contingent show up to assist Captain Pickett.  There will be a German representative there to resolve any disputes!  Courtney is about a two hour drive to the North of Victoria, and there are plenty of sights to fill the dead spots between the two events.

Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 01:05:15 pm »

The Victoria Frontier Shootists, will start off their 2012 cowboy action shooting season with their Malahat Ridge Match
on Sunday February 12th. This will be a 6 stage main match and include a delicious lunch. Cost $30. For more information contact: Match Director, Dave Degrassi aka Copperhead Dave at davedegrassi@shaw.ca and Registration, Terry
Parkinson aka Colorado Charlie at tdparkinson@shaw.ca. Those interested in learning more about the sport please
contact Cowboy Director, Ashley Harrison aka Black Ashley at ash_man@shaw.ca or (250) 744-4705 . Spectators are
welcome. Eye and ear protection is mandatory.

The SASS ROI (Range Operations I) course for cowboy action shooters or those interested in Cowboy Action Shooting
will be held on Saturday March 10th from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Rifle Range House. Cost $15.00. Please bring your
own lunch. Coffee and soda pop will be available. Single Action Shooting Society (SASS) membership not required.
SASS information, membership and handbooks can be found at www.sassnet.com . Please pre-read the SASS
Shooter’s Handbook and the SASS ROI Course material prior to the course. Pre-registration required. Contact Al Wilson aka Haweater Hal at Haweater.Hal@gmail.com.

Headquarters, our annual shoot, will be held August 24, 25, & 26th this year. This year's theme will be The Pig War at
Salmonella Gulch. The registration form for Headquarters is included in the February newsletter. This is a great opportunity to prepare for the SASS Canadian National Championship to be held in Courtenay from August 30th to September 2nd, 2012 www.valleyregulators.com . Mark these dates on your calendar

PJ Hardtack
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2012, 03:53:39 pm »

Pig War, you say .... I've been reenacting the Pig War at San Juan Island National Historic Park for years. Can't remember ever seeing a single action revolver or lever action rifle ..... lots of Enfield MLs and other period guns.

Our home club has decreed that anyone shooting from the leather indoors needs take a basic course before being allowed to. This for insurance reasons, we're told. It is mainly aimed at the SA auto types, but would apply if you wished to shoot a revolver indoors from the leather. The requirement does not apply to the outdoor ranges ... duh ..... ;>)

It has always bothered me that unlike IPSC, CAS has never had a holster qualification course requirement. People can just show up and shoot. We have a couple of people that are downright scary gun handlers at times! It's a trial for ROs who cannot presume that these folks won't do something unsafe.

I am proposing that henceforth, we extend the rule to the outdoor ranges, and EVERYONE who intends to shoot from the leather on club property will be required to take the training. We require eye and ear protection as mandatory, so why stop there? The moment there is an incident, a Coroner's inquest will ask the question - "Why only on the indoor range?" So will the insurance company.

This will put some noses out of joint, as it is next to impossible to tell a male past puberty anything about gun handling. The older the person, the more resistance. He's seen the movies and knows all about it .....

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne
dutchy
PISTOLARO .
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2012, 05:18:11 pm »

PJ
Interesting proposal I'll watch to see how it plays.
The 'holster' course you speak of , is there anywhere a person could view the requirements and or course content.
To keep on topic , my reason to ask is in view of pending trips west in which I would like to steal away for some shooting.
Appreciate any responses.
dutchy

"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

PJ Hardtack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2012, 08:48:44 pm »

Dutchy

It won't be a Cowboy version of the IPSC Black Badge course, but it will cover:

- straight finger draw & reholstering
- cross draw technique
- trigger and site acquisition on the way up
- maintaining safe muzzle direction
- movement

Course requirements will be an open mind, the willingness to learn and the 'spirit of the game' to follow instructions on the range.
I think you probably qualify.

This is just my pipe dream at the moment. I can't make the motion until the next club meeting and I need some feed back from the CAS section.

I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne
dutchy
PISTOLARO .
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2012, 09:16:57 pm »

Great
Keep us posted. I just came home from the usual blood boiling Annual Meeting at one of our gun clubs . One of the topics which ws put out for discussion was range safety .
Tks BC shooters for the use of your section   Cool

dutchy

"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

PJ Hardtack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2012, 12:04:46 pm »

Dutchy

What was the safety concern issue? Was it the old "you guys shooting from the leather are bad ..." ? Maybe we can learn something here.
When push comes to shove, the safety aspect always prevails. The adage " ... if it saves even one life ...." is hard to refute.
That makes a good case for holsters on a range, as it prevents unauthorized tampering.

At a club in the interior of BC an IPSC shooter got so annoyed at the casual gun handling of visiting trap shooters that he sat on the clubhouse steps with his 1911 in his hands - slide forward on an empty chamber, no mag. The trap boys were also indulging in hot toddies between rounds as was the custom.
Push came to shove and the matter went to a special meeting. It was decided that the trap shooters HAD to clean up their act with regard to gun handling and NO drinking was allowed until the last shot was fired. It put some noses severally out of joint, but who care?

Kananaskis Kid
Citizen

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2012, 01:11:21 am »

The 2012 SAS Canadian National Championship, Bustup at Boomtown, will be held at the Courtenay and District Fish and Game Association CAS range August 30 - September 2.  A registration form and additional information have been posted on the Valley Regulators website - valleyregulators.com.

Kananaskis Kid
Match Director

"Let 'er buck!"

SASS #62402
SBSS #1769
S.U.D.D.S. #402
PWDFR #21
RATS #182
BCWF # 73988
Crotchety Old Grouch
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2012, 09:03:14 pm »

Here's a link to picture I took at 20th Anniversary shoot at Palmers Gulch.

http://crotchetyoldgrouch.smugmug.com/CAS/Palmers-Gulch-20th-Anniversary/23936940_nV8tKX#!i=1942194826&k=q5B6rWS   

Had a great time with great people,  even meet PJ Hardtack in his skirt.

Looking forward to the next trip north.

Cog
PJ Hardtack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2012, 10:57:32 am »

Cog

SKIRT!!!  I'd think you were a Sassenach if I didn't know better. It was a joy to wear my registered family Tartan. Next year I'll shoot in my Fenian mercenary/Irish Brigade outfit - if it doesn't rain.

Goodtameetcha at the Gulch! And all the guys I started with 20+ years ago. With the number of 'absent friends' we heard about, it's good we had a reunion now. We're spread all over the Colony these days and only see each other at events.

Thanks for the great photo coverage of the shoot. I learn a lot from the pics of shooters in action and I'm glad to see that I practice what I preach when it comes to shooting style. You got me shooting 'double duellist' several times; first time I ever tried it. I may stick with 'Frontiersman' for the rest of the season.

'Miss Cara Boo Belle' just reminded me that your pics did not include the one of the costume prize winners.

Crotchety Old Grouch
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2012, 11:11:42 pm »

You mean this one?

I like this one better.

RattlesnakeJack
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2012, 12:35:26 pm »

Skirt, indeed!   Angry

When PJ and I finally get the opportunity to meet in person, we are likely to be attired in similar ancestral/historical fashion .....

PJ may not be a big lad, but I know he is 'verra feisty' indeed .....  whereas I stand a full 28 hands tall, weigh in at 20 stone, am rather bad-tempered and prefer to go fully armed .... so, if present on the occasion of PJ and I meeting, you may wish to avoid envious Sassenach references to the fealeadh beg as a skirt .....   Wink

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier
Old West ClipArt & History Website:  http://rattlesnakejacks.com/
Crotchety Old Grouch
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2012, 01:23:41 pm »

Lets see  Shocked a 9ft 4in 280lbe guy in a skirt,,  OK your on Cheesy ya got me by 8 1/4 hands but I've got 2 stones on ya.  Should be good Grin
RattlesnakeJack
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2012, 03:16:03 pm »

Och! .... a big guy picking on my wee pal, is it?   Angry

But "oops" ..... guess I made a 'slight' calculation error ..... (four goes into twelve only three times, eh?) Embarrassed   That shoulda been 19 hands .....   Undecided

(Mind you, I fibbed about the weight a wee bit ....  Wink .... actually over 21 stone at present,  but I aim to chisel off some pebbles, with 20 stone as my immediate goal ....)

"In this corner, wearing the ghastly Sassenach troosers, and weighing in at  ...."

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier
Old West ClipArt & History Website:  http://rattlesnakejacks.com/
PJ Hardtack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2012, 08:21:39 pm »

Let me see ... TWO Scots in kilts at the same shoot - we'd have them outnumbered! Actually, Grant has our personalities pretty well summed up. I've been referred to as a 'pit bull' when riled and it's the size of the fight in the dog that counts, not t'other way round.
Big guys find it somewhat disconcerting to have me gnawing at their ankles .....

It would have been great to have you sat the event, Grant! I remember the shoot pictured in the video we all received in our shooter's package and was surprised to learn how may 'absent friends' have crossed the Great Divide. Some that were there looked a might tired as well and others were reported as ailing.

Those were the days of one gun, usually in a calibre starting with the number '4' and loads were at the defensive level. I was pleased to see some still shooting 'real' loads - smokeless as well as BP. I missed a couple of events at Palmer's Gulch, one due to cancer treatment and t'other in recovery. The one before that, I was involved in a cross border dispute called the 'Pig War'.

We won't discuss that .....

Crotchety Old Grouch
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2012, 06:19:15 pm »

Just uploaded my pictures from Headquarters 2012.  Great match and a lot of good people.  I probable could have finished a little higher in the standings but do to a sever lack of effort I shoot clean instead.  Here is the link;

http://crotchetyoldgrouch.smugmug.com/CAS/Canada/Headquartes-2012/25194050_sCQs9S#!i=2067067787&k=M5TPm5X

Up Date,  Just added the pic's from the SASS National at Courtenay.  Heres the link to them; 

http://crotchetyoldgrouch.smugmug.com/CAS/Canada/2012-SASS-Canadian-Boomtown/25201275_dgMQhJ#!i=2067883479&k=ghcrF38
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2012, 07:58:20 pm »

I'm sorry I missed it but had out of town visitors.  Haweater Hal said they had 67 shooters, a record!  There were a bunch from below the medicine line as well.  That is a trend I hope continues as well as our shooters drifting South.  I'm glad to hear that Form 6NIA's will be a bit easier for us to obtain now.

I'd like to hear if our American Pards had any difficulty with Canadian red tape?

Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2013, 03:13:39 pm »

This just in;  2014 shoot schedule for the VICTORIA FRONTIER SHOOTISTS;

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=gmail&attid=0.1&thid=14199a0834e09d20&mt=application/pdf&url=https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui%3D2%26ik%3Dd5e68e78e1%26view%3Datt%26th%3D14199a0834e09d20%26attid%3D0.1%26disp%3Dsafe%26realattid%3Df_hmjiwd6o0%26zw&sig=AHIEtbTSHYFACWhNDkP6GoQ-wg3zvaG9pg

It loaded for me, but then I was the one that posted it.  So I'll do a "Control c, Coltrol v" and see what comes out.  So there you are without the columns

Victoria Frontier Shootists Schedule 2014 Setup Event

January No Shoot

Sunday February 9th Rifle Range 4 pm Saturday 8 am to 4 pm Malahat Ridge Grey Fox Registration - Colorado Charlie

Sunday March 9th Rifle Range 8 am Sunday 8 am to 1 pm Monthly Shoot Single Action SherrifBlack Ashley

Saturday April 12th Bay 7 M/P 8 am Saturday 8 am to 3 pm Wild Bunch Killshot Kenny Stages - Grey Fox

Sunday April 13th Rifle Range 8 am Sunday 8 am to 1 pm Monthly Shoot Montana May Black Ashley

Sunday May 11th Rifle Range 4 pm Saturday Mat 10th 8 am to 4 pm Buffalo Shoot Saskatoon Barry Lunch - V Diamond, Registration -Colorado Charlie

Sunday May 18, Courtenay, Boomtown Saloon 1 Pm to 5:30 p.m. SASS RO I Haweater Hal Victoria Diamond

Sunday June 8th Rifle Range 8 am Sunday 8 am to 1 pm Monthly Shoot Doc Dalers Black Ashley, Setup- Haweater Hal

Sunday June 15th 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Rifle Range 8:30 Sunday 10 am to Discovery Day Haweater Hal Black Ashley

4 pm Victoria Diamond, Kingfisher

Saturday June 22 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.MP Bay 7 8 am Sunday 8 am to 1 pm Nimrod Haweater Hal Black Ashley, Single Action Sherrif

limit 12 cost $30 non members $20 members Victoria Diamond, Wild Horse Jack

To pre-register & pay on Discovery Day Doc Daler

Saturday July 12th multi purpose range 8 am Saturday 8am to 3 pm Wild Bunch Killshot Kenny Stages - Grey Fox

Saturday July 12th multi purpose range 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. SASS ROII Haweater Hal Victoria Diamond

Sunday July 13th Rifle Range 8 am Sunday 8 am to 1 pm Monthly Shoot Wild Horse Jack Haweater Hal

July 25/26/27 all day 9 am Friday 1 pm Friday Headquarters Haweater Hal Stages - Haweater / Meals - Montana May

all three days for Shotgun, rifle range and house to Trophies - Victoria Diamond

& main club house 8 pm Sunday Long Range - C O'Keefe/Neut Reno/Prairie Buck

Sunday September 7th Multipurpose 8 am Sunday 8 am to 3 pm Wild Bunch Killshot Kenny Stages - Grey Fox

Sunday October 5th Rifle Range 4 pm Saturday Oct 4th 8am to 4 pm Bunkhouse Neut Reno Registration - Colorado Charlie

Sunday November 9th Rifle Range 8 am Sunday 8 am to 1 pm Monthly Shoot Teacher C Black Ashley

December No Shoot

VFGPA Director Cowboy Action 2014 - Haweater Hal

VFGPA Member at Large until March 31st, 2014 and Assistant Cowboy Action - Black Ashley (as of March 2014 back up Director may be Sagebrush Eddie)

Garand
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2013, 08:52:11 pm »

It won't load!

SASS # 93688
aka Dapper Dynamite Dick
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2014, 11:35:35 pm »

Here is the registration form for the Headquarters match, July 25 - 27, 2014; If it won't load, its because the link is to my email!  PM me and I will forward to you.  Maybe Haweater Hal will post a downloadable version?

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?shva=1#inbox/1445b3d93e83f33b?projector=1

Crotchety Old Grouch
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2014, 08:47:13 pm »

Sir Charles

Rusty Woods has the application posted.  Try this link:  http://www.rustywood.ca/rmr/results/HQ%202014%20Registration.pdf

Maybe we'll finally meet.
Sporting Lad
Sporting Lad
Citizen

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2015, 01:16:36 pm »

Howdy,
I'm just getting started in CAS with The Valley Regulators
 http://www.valleyregulators.com/
on Vancouver Island.
I attended last month, and am looking forward to shooting again this Saturday, 21 Feb.
'Happy Trails'
Tom Henry

I miss The Cold War...  (:^ |
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Regional Topics  |  Chinook Country (Moderators: RattlesnakeJack, Sir Charles deMouton-Black)  |  Topic: Frontier Action Shooting in BC « previous next »
Jump to: