Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2017, 08:54:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1876 (Moderator: Grizzly Adams)  |  Topic: Welcome to the The Winchester Model 1876 board. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Welcome to the The Winchester Model 1876 board.  (Read 53713 times)
Grizzly Adams
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 05:28:11 pm »

Chapparal 45/60 after much money-new wood sights and tlc.

Doc, I know it did not come easy, but it looks like you finally have a very nice rifle there.  Great wood. Smiley

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF
Doc Sorebones
Citizen

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2007, 06:09:24 pm »

Cheers grizzly,yes a very nice shooter too which is the only reason i have persisted with it.I have won 3 different 200-300 yard competitions with it.At risk of seeming boastful I need to say that I have an Browning 1886 45/70 that was my best long range lever rifle but now is getting stiff competition for first place.Need to point out that the four chapparals i have hade the chance to slug the bores in all have slightly bigger bores than average 45's.needing projectiles sized at .459 for best results.Doc
Grizzly Adams
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2007, 07:56:35 pm »

Need to point out that the four chapparals i have hade the chance to slug the bores in all have slightly bigger bores than average 45's.needing projectiles sized at .459 for best results.Doc

That's a good piece of information.  Check out Leadhead's thread;

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,18104.0.html

Much has been made about which aspects of the Chaparral or Uberti are closest to the original.  FWIW, every single original I have ever heard of has been .457.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
GAF
Outlander
Citizen

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2007, 11:51:32 am »

Hello,
I have a Chaparral in .45-60, I am very satisfied.  Grin

Nice salute from Germany
Outlander
Grizzly Adams
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2008, 11:16:26 am »

Hello,
I have a Chaparral in .45-60, I am very satisfied.  Grin

Nice salute from Germany
Outlander

Welcome to the fire, Outlander. Smiley  Glad to hear you are pleased with your Chaparral 1876.  Are you reloading your ammunition, or having to purchase it?  How difficult is it to get in Germany? 

GAF
Outlander
Citizen

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2008, 11:52:05 am »

Welcome to the fire, Outlander. Smiley  Glad to hear you are pleased with your Chaparral 1876.  Are you reloading your ammunition, or having to purchase it?  How difficult is it to get in Germany? 

Hy Grizzly Adams,
Thanks for the welcome. I invite my munition itself. Collets have looked at the buffalo ordered arms, and the accessories. In old germany is all so expensive.
We did not enjoy as open to deal with this hobby, the laws are somewhat different than in protecting the promised land (USA)  Grin
I need and search for data, I invite the time
N110 19,0-21,0 grs with 330grs bullet.
Have trail boss, but no dates?
My chaparral is revised, and with others in society scheckering. If I could get data, I would be very happy.

Best Regards,
Can be read, sorry Outlander
Grizzly Adams
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2008, 03:36:23 pm »

Hy Grizzly Adams,
Thanks for the welcome. I invite my munition itself. Collets have looked at the buffalo ordered arms, and the accessories. In old germany is all so expensive.
We did not enjoy as open to deal with this hobby, the laws are somewhat different than in protecting the promised land (USA)  Grin
I need and search for data, I invite the time
N110 19,0-21,0 grs with 330grs bullet.
Have trail boss, but no dates?
My chaparral is revised, and with others in society scheckering. If I could get data, I would be very happy.

Best Regards,
Can be read, sorry Outlander

Sorry, I have never seen any Trailboss data for the 45-60. 

Have you seen this site?  http://www.chaparralarms.com/specs/calibers.htm

I am not familiar with the Kemira 110 powder, but, IMR 4198 seems to be working well for folks.

Many shooters are having good success with Accurate 5744.  Can you get it in Germany?   
Powder: Accurate - 5744
Bullet:  300-325
Start load: 22.0 grains (1250 1350 ft/p/sec)
Maximum load: 26.0 grains (1400 1500 Ft/p/sec).

Nice looking checkering on your rifle. Smiley 

GAF
Llano County
NCOWS
Active citizen

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2008, 11:28:05 pm »

I picked up my new Cimarron 1876 today. OMG! It is beautiful! The wood is great, the color case hardening is great, the bluing is dark and rich. I'm impressed with the quality and workmanship. I can't wait to shoot it. Plus...get this along with the rifle I didn't just receive one, but two free bumper stickers. Actually they are probably the most expensive bumper stickers I own.  Grin

Llano County
Indian Terr. (Oklahoma)
NCOWS No. 1480
Outlander
Citizen

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2008, 11:01:25 am »

Sorry, I have never seen any Trailboss data for the 45-60. 
Have you seen this site?  http://www.chaparralarms.com/specs/calibers.htm
I am not familiar with the Kemira 110 powder, but, IMR 4198 seems to be working well for folks.
Many shooters are having good success with Accurate 5744.  Can you get it in Germany?   
Powder: Accurate - 5744
Bullet:  300-325
Start load: 22.0 grains (1250 1350 ft/p/sec)
Maximum load: 26.0 grains (1400 1500 Ft/p/sec).
Nice looking checkering on your rifle. Smiley 

Hy,
I think I will buy the powder and taste. It is not a problem for us to get.
Trail boss had only taken because the full sleeve. Grs at 14.0, I thought I shoot an air rifle.
Little pressure, but I had no data, and therefore prefer to ask.
Voted for the schekering (Nussbaum) 400 - additionally paid. In the march get my dp scharps "boss" in .45-110 and I looked at the ingredients in buffalo ordered arms. I have made paper patch bullets to use. Undecided I hope there are a few recommended's.

Outlander

Raghorn
Citizen

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2008, 11:37:45 pm »

Add me to the group.  28" 45-60, will only be used with cast bullets and black powder or sub.
Grizzly Adams
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2008, 11:52:49 pm »

Add me to the group.  28" 45-60, will only be used with cast bullets and black powder or sub.

Welcome Raghorn.  Glad to have ya aboard. Smiley  I have added you to the membership roster here:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,17922.0.html

You might want to give the new Goex Pinnacle sub a try in that 45-60. Wink

GAF
Colonel Buckshot
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2008, 11:37:36 pm »

I picked up my Uberti 1876 in 45-75 today will be mounting the pedersoli soule sight set on it as soon as the gunsmith bores out and retaps the top tang screw hole.  Also had to reverse the sight ladder so it would use the right notch in the base to keep it level.  Will take it shooting this weekend with the buckhorn though.

Adrian Geary
Samsula, FL
US Army Honorable Discharged  19E/45K
NRA, GAF, SUVCW
Grizzly Adams
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2008, 11:10:03 am »

I picked up my Uberti 1876 in 45-75 today will be mounting the pedersoli soule sight set on it as soon as the gunsmith bores out and retaps the top tang screw hole.  Also had to reverse the sight ladder so it would use the right notch in the base to keep it level.  Will take it shooting this weekend with the buckhorn though.

Interesting.   Is the top tang hole NOT metric?  Or is the pedersoli sight not metric.  I was planning on putting a tang sight on mine, but noted that the rear tang/stock screw is nowhere near what the tang sight comes with.  Very small in diameter. Undecided

GAF
Colonel Buckshot
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2008, 02:21:21 pm »

I will have mine drilled and retapped. 

Adrian Geary
Samsula, FL
US Army Honorable Discharged  19E/45K
NRA, GAF, SUVCW
Dirty Brass
Ol' Ter-Bear
Top Active Citizen

Live life to the fullest!

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2008, 02:53:07 pm »

I"m joining the group too. Should have my Uberti 1876 22" 45/60 by Monday evening. I'm also looking at a 50/95 28"" model Uberti, which I'll no doubt pick up, just because they look so cool. Beautiful guns - I'm gettin' ancy! Will post pics when in hand.  Grin
Grizzly Adams
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2008, 02:40:02 pm »

I"m joining the group too. Should have my Uberti 1876 22" 45/60 by Monday evening. I'm also looking at a 50/95 28"" model Uberti, which I'll no doubt pick up, just because they look so cool. Beautiful guns - I'm gettin' ancy! Will post pics when in hand.  Grin

Howdy, brassmagnet.  I have added you to the list of the blessed! Grin  Looking forward to seeing pics of your new 76s. Smiley

GAF
Dirty Brass
Ol' Ter-Bear
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2008, 12:24:04 pm »

I finally got both guns in and took a few pics. Here's one of them side by side. The carbine is 45/60. The 28" model is in 50/95. One is a Cimarron and one is a Taylors, respectively. The only difference I see, other than bbl length of course, is the printing on the top and side of the barrel. I prefer the Cimarron model for that reason - but they are both nice!

Still waiting for warmer weather and ammunition!

Grizzly Adams
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2008, 05:53:02 pm »

Very nice rifles there, brassmagnet!  I also have one of the Cimmie 76s in 45-60 with the short barrel.  Nice balance! 

That 50-95 should be a real hoot to shoot!  Hope your weather warms soon so you can go shoot those beauties! Wink

GAF
Dirty Brass
Ol' Ter-Bear
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2008, 04:23:19 pm »

Thanks Grizzly Adams. The carbine is definately lighter and swings better on target. I thought they both balanced out very nice, and I almost like the longer barrel if time permits aiming longer.

These guns sure are sweet. Heavy, but sweet! I'll let ya' know how the 50/95 shoots when I get some ammo for it. I'll rate the "hoot" from 1-5!  Grin
Dirty Brass
Ol' Ter-Bear
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2008, 01:17:13 pm »

Just a FYI. I talked with Cimarron this afternoon to see if they had received any shipments of the Centennial, and I was informed they do have some 45/75 models in stock again. Not sure how many, but I am sure it's minus one 'cause I jumped on one right away...another caliber to start accumulating data for  Roll Eyes

If yer' lookin' to get one, or were on the fence about it, mabe give em' a holler.............
shrapnel
There is nothing like the original
Top Active Citizen

Keeping what made the West safe, alive

« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2008, 12:01:24 am »

While looking over the Shiloh website, I came accross this one. I Like old guns, especially Winchesters. I have a few of each, but I do have a real liking for the 1876. This was last weekend at the Kalispell gunshow in Montana...

This is one of my originals in action on the plains of eastern Montana...

Smaller game with the same rifle...

A picture of a rock pass in eastern Montana, with names and dates back into the late 1800's...

Bigger game with a Deluxe 40-60. One should go better heeled in persuit of animals of this size...

I have hunted and killed most types of Montana big game at one time or another with original Winchesters. I like the idea of this site, I think I will check in once and awhile.

I never considered myself a failure...I started out at the bottom and happen to like it here!
Grizzly Adams
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2008, 12:19:06 am »

While looking over the Shiloh website, I came accross this one. I Like old guns, especially Winchesters. I have a few of each, but I do have a real liking for the 1876. This was last weekend at the Kalispell gunshow in Montana...

This is one of my originals in action on the plains of eastern Montana...

Smaller game with the same rifle...

A picture of a rock pass in eastern Montana, with names and dates back into the late 1800's...

Bigger game with a Deluxe 40-60. One should go better heeled in persuit of animals of this size...

I have hunted and killed most types of Montana big game at one time or another with original Winchesters. I like the idea of this site, I think I will check in once and awhile.

Welcome to fire, Shrapnel, and thanks for posting the great pics! Smiley  Those are some beautiful rifles!  Looks like that deluxe 40-60 did just fine on that moose!

Drop in anytime and sit a spell! Smiley

GAF
triple w
Top Active Citizen

Y'a got'a love a hobby that makes y'a feel so good

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2009, 08:39:36 am »

Sign me up! I just added two Chaparral short rifles, one in 45-60 and one in 50-95 to my collection, and I can't wait to shoot them! The 76 has always been my favorite Winchester. I had two originals back in the 70's but had to let them go years ago. These will just have to do until, or if, I ever get another original.

TW  Grin

BOLD# 986, STORM# 352,   The Winchester 1876 Society,
 1860 Henry Rifle Shooters Roster #123, Spencer Shooting Society #318
Grizzly Adams
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2009, 10:51:20 am »

Great looking rifles there, TW!  I have added you to the list of distinguished gentlemen who shoot and admire the model of 1976. Smiley

GAF
triple w
Top Active Citizen

Y'a got'a love a hobby that makes y'a feel so good

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2009, 11:19:04 am »

Great looking rifles there, TW!  I have added you to the list of distinguished gentlemen who shoot and admire the model of 1976. Smiley

Thank ye Sir! Wink

BOLD# 986, STORM# 352,   The Winchester 1876 Society,
 1860 Henry Rifle Shooters Roster #123, Spencer Shooting Society #318
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1876 (Moderator: Grizzly Adams)  |  Topic: Welcome to the The Winchester Model 1876 board. « previous next »
Jump to: