Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2017, 11:34:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  GENERAL TOPICS  |  Saddlebag Tales (Moderators: Marshal'ette Halloway, Lucky Irish Tom)  |  Topic: Missing Angels --Another Petticoat Posse Tale 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Missing Angels --Another Petticoat Posse Tale  (Read 34367 times)
Scarlet Angel
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2005, 10:46:58 am »

By Scarlet Angel and Tensleep

"Rebecca? Can we talk? I need to talk to you." Tensleep stepped onto the porch.

Rebecca turned at the sound of his voice and smiled up at him. "Of course." She gestured with her hand to the chair next to hers.

"Have I done something wrong? Have I said something that I shouldn't? Have I been inconsiderate?" Tensleep was still standing holding his hat.

Her eyebrows pulled together. "No" She said a bit confused "Why do ask such a thing?"

"You have been so quiet, so distant since we returned." 'Sleep was looking out over the plain. "I was sure that I had done something wrong."

Kneeling he took her hand. "You would tell me wouldn't you? You wouldn't make me suffer? You know that I love you so very much. I don't think I could stay if you turned me away."

"I would tell you." She half smiled but avoided eye contact. "I have been lost in my own thoughts I suppose." They had had a similar discussion before she'd left the ace and Rebecca didn't want to go there again.

"I was surprised to see you in camp. Most men wouldn't take the chance of riding into there." She looked at him with a grin "Hank is one of 'em."

"I knew you were there 'Becca. I had to find you, had to see you. I would ride through the gates of hell for you. Only thing that might stop me would be if you told me that you didn't love me."

"I won't deny I have feelings for you Jon. I hope that you know when we are together my feelings are sincere."

"But you will only say you love me in the throes of passion. Why won't you look into my eyes, my heart and say 'Jon, I love you.' I want to hear that more than anything. I love you Rebecca, I want you for my wife."

"How can you want someone for your wife you've known for such a short amount of time?"

"Rebecca, the first time I saw you as I rode into El Paso I knew that I wanted you, wanted to be with you, wanted more than just a casual aquaintaince." He lloked into the distance again. "I have searched for you all my life."

"Then why did it take you so long to work your way across the street?"

Embaressed Jon shifted his feet. Finally he looked at her. "You are so beautiful. I am so plain. You have money, I have none. Just a drifting cowboy turned lawman. I didn't think you would even give me a second look."

She raised an eyebrow as looked at him then stood. The muscles in her jaw tensed as she stepped past him so he couldn't see the tears she fought. "I love you Jon, and you were wrong to think that." She said softly trying to regain control of her thoughts and emotions.

He took a step and was behind her, his arms circled her waist. "Rebecca, will you marry me, marry me right here on the Starr? In this garden? Tomorrow?"

"Jon, even if I was the kind of woman a man would be proud to present to his family, I will not marry any body until I know what has happened to Scarlet."

"You would meet my family if I had any darlin', but I understand about Scarlet. As soon as she is home, you will become Mrs Rebecca Ross."

Rebecca's body slightly trembled as she took a deep breath. "I am not ready to a wife Jon. I told you I wouldn't see anybody else and we'd start there.

Back in the cabin Josh well....He had Cutter marry us and he wanted to consumate the marriage. While I figured ways to avoid him and then tried to figure out ways to stand his touch I kept wondering what you were going to think of me breaking that promise."

"Cutter had no power to marry anyone and being forced to do something against your will wouldn't be breaking your promise to me darling."
He turned her to face him.

"Rebecca, when you are ready, I am ready, I will say no more."

She smiled softly as she caressed his cheek with her finger tips. "I don't deserve you." her voice just above a whisper.

Scarlet

The voice of one of the men on watch rang through the house “Riders comin’!”

“Who is it?!” Rose yelled as she skipped stairs to reach the second story porch quickly followed closely by Sonny’s wife.

The man looked through his glass counting the number of riders to himself and trying to make out the faces.

“Who is it?” Rose repeated.

“I see everyone Miss Rose. Everyone is coming home.” He said through a smile.

Rose hugged him and kissed his cheek.

The two women went back down the stairs and made their way to the barn telling everyone they passed everyone was coming home.

Scarlet looked over the ranch as they rode in. There was livestock as far as one could see. The cattle mixed in with the horses were being closely watched by outriders normally seen only to collect their paycheck and sometimes spend it at the Ace.

“Looks worse then branding time round here.” She said looking around.

“Well we should have an accurate count of the stock if nothing else.” Bo said as he rode past.

As they rode by one of the corrals the black horse standing in the middle bellowed a challenge causing Lucky to pin his ears and swing his head. Scarlet tightened her hold on Lucky surprised to see that heard had been brought in also.

“That’s Midnight.” She said pointing to the stallion that was nearly a carbon copy of Lucky except for the white hairs over his eyes and along his jaw line from age. “He’s Lucky’s grandfather.”

“Welcome home.” Rose called as the group came to a stop near the barn.

"I was right, Rose," called Ella, "Fritz needed me to be his angel again. We should put him in the downstairs bedroom. He won't be well enough for the bunkhouse for a week or two. How's Patches?"

Scarlet

“Always trust your intuition Ella.”

“Fritz can choose whichever room he’ll be comfortable in.” Rose said as she wondered just how much of his stuff was in Scarlet’s room. If Rose was a betting woman she would have bet what wasn’t in Scarlet’s room at the Starr was in Scarlet’s room at the Ace, and there was just enough in the bunkhouse for appearances sake.

“Patches is doing very well.” Rose’s eyes lit up like she had a wonderful secret she was dying to blurt out. “You girls should go check on her let her know you’re ok and home.”

Once Fritz and the horses were settled, Ella urged, "Come on, Scarlet. Let's go see Patches."

Patches heard them coming and was facing the door with Bill sitting next to her when the other girls came in, with her left hand "casually" placed on her knee. Ella spotted the ring first and whooped, "Finally! Now I can finish your wedding dress!"

"Yes! You should!" Patches looked at Bill with a smile and then did a double take. She looked quickly at Ella. "What do you mean 'finish'?"

"I drafted a pattern based on your mother's wedding picture and cut out the fabric I bought in Tucson before Christmas. I've sewn the major seams, but didn't want to do the finishing without fitting it to you," answered Ella happily.

Patches grinned. "I'm ready when you are!"

“Come on then, let’s see what Ella’s been up to!” Scarlet said with a grin.

By the time the three reached the sewing room the rest of the women in the house had joined them.

Everyone talked about how beautiful the dress, what a beautiful bride Patches would make and complimented Ella on her handiwork.

“We can braid flowers in your hair.” Rose said with a smile as she wiped the tear of joy from the corner of her eye. 

Patches gave the girls the details of the proposal as Ella fitted the dress.

Their voices and laughter could be heard throughout the house as they talked about the wedding.

"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Scarlet Angel
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2005, 11:20:51 am »

Rebecca found Scarlet in Gypsy’s stall brushing out the mare’s think mane.
“Patches sure looked happy last night.” She said watching Scarlet.

“Yeah, she did.” Scarlet said with a smile “The dress Ella is making will be beautiful on her.”

Rebecca picked up a brush and ducked into the stall and began brushing the mare. After a short silence she said. “John proposed to me yesterday.”

Scarlet glanced up from what she was doing. “You turned him down didn’t ya.”

“Yeah.” Rebecca never looked up from the horse

“Why?” Scarlet asked picking up the horse’s feet.

There was a pause before Becca replied. “I’m afraid Scarlet. I’m afraid I will fail him or hurt him.”

Scarlet put the mare’s foot down and looked at the woman who stood on the other side of her horse.

“You are afraid of losing your independence and losing who you are, trying to live up to someone’s idea of what you should be when the truth is that will never be who you are.” Scarlet said then turned taking the mares bridle from its peg.

Rebecca stood staring at her in shock. “What makes you say such things?”

“We are not all that different Becca, and if we were, we’ve logged a lot of miles together. We know one another pretty well.” Scarlet said as a matter of factly as she bridled the horse.

“I’m afraid of becoming one of those wives who I hear about when their husbands come into the Ace.” Rebecca watched Scarlet for a reaction.

“Our men will never be like the men that drift into the Ace. Because we are not like the women they leave behind.”

Rebecca recognized the mischievous look in her friend’s eyes as Scarlet smirked at her.

“I believe our men will have enough to keep them busy and not have time enough to seek out other things to occupy themselves. And I kinda think if your man wanders he will be sadly disappointed at the skills of someone else.” Scarlet chuckled.

Rebecca punched her in the arm for the remark but laughed too.

Where are you going?”

“I’m taking the bay and his herd home.”

“You going alone?”

“I told Fritz I would enjoy his company but I understand if he’s not up to another day in the saddle. You’re welcome to come.”

“No, Hank and I are going back to the Ace shortly. Why aren’t you riding Lucky?” Rebecca asked following after her.

“I don’t want to try to keep the two stallions in line and the short ride will do her good.”

When they reached the corral Scarlet handed the reins to Rebecca. “Hold her.” Taking the stallion’s halter she slipped into the corral and slipped it on him.

“Scarlet.”

“Yeah.”

“You got any regrets?”

Scarlet glanced at Becca “Gonna have to narrow the field on that one.”

Becca’s mouth twisted slightly. “Bout Fritz.”

Scarlet stopped for a moment and thought about the question. “Yeah, I do.”

Rebecca waited while Scarlet led the stallion from the corral.

“Gonna tell me?”

“I regret he got shot cuz o’ me.”

“I’d hope so.” Becca snorted.  “Anything else?”

“Yeah Becca. I regret when he proposed to me I didn’t jump in his arms and tell him yes. Instead I told him all the reasons I could think of why he might be making a mistake.”

“I guess he took me by surprise. I was more prepared for the goodbye. Ya know. And there are times more often than not I regret not marrying him in December. I might have figured I was to busy running from or chasing after my past.”

“Give me a leg up would ya.”

Rebecca cupped her hands so Scarlet could climb on the mare’s bare back.

Scarlet settled on Gypsy’s back then looked down at her friend. “Becca, you once said you wanted a bunch of kids, dog chasin butterflies in the yard and one man to make love to you for the rest of your life.”

Rebecca interrupted her. “Who told ya that?”

“Ah the secrets we share over a bottle.” Scarlet grinned wickedly as she picked up the reins.
“I don’t often tell folks what I think they should do Becca. What I’m gonna tell you is don’t watch the man you love die before you realize your regrets. His guardian angel may not be able to save him.”

Scarlet urged Gypsy forward; the bay pranced proudly along side nickering to the mares that trotted after them.   

"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Scarlet Angel
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2005, 11:34:12 am »

Combined effort of Tensleep and Scarlet

Rebecca looked across the backs of the horses spotting John standing on
the porch of his office. She didn't want to leave things the way they were
she loved him too much for that. She thought as she walked towards him of
telling him what she had told Scarlet but that didn't sound right. It
sounded like she didn't trust him, maybe she didn't, not that he'd done
anything to deserve it. She'd just seen to many things in her line of
work.

"Good morning." She said with a smile as she looked up at him wondering
if maybe saying anything at all would be a mistake.

Tensleep stood watching the beautiful brunette approaching him, she was
a vision of grace as she walked.

"Good morning to you too lovely lady, you are out early this morning.
Have you had coffee?" His eyes never left hers.

"Not yet. I was up watching the horses. That bay Scarlet is leading is
the sire to my other horse. I've ridden with Scarlet when they round up
the foals and some of the mares from his band. He is beautiful to watch."

”Why don't we get some coffee and set and watch the morning?"

”Alright." Rebecca walked with Tensleep into the kitchen of the Starr,
poured two cups and handed him one. "Where would you like to watch the
morning from?"

”The rose garden is my favorite place this time of day, evening too,
but the roses might be embarrassed by your beauty this morning." Tensleep took
her hand.

Rebecca smiled and shook her head at his comment. "John can I ask you something?"

”You can ask me anything, anytime Rebecca." He took a sip of his coffee
after he seated her on a bench. "What is it darlin'?"

”What do you expect from a wife? I mean while you're off chasing
outlaws or hole up in your office doing what ever it is you do..what do you expect
her to be doing?"

"I really expect for my wife to be a partner in our relationship. I
won't try to cast her in a role that would seem to fit all women. I also
don't plan to be on the trail a lot longer, I expect that the deputies will
handle that part. Lots more of the paper work that I hate seems to be taking
all my time."

Tensleep paused and lit his pipe. "How do you see yourself as a wife 'Becca?"

Rebecca drew a deep breath and her eyebrows knitted together. "I don't
know. Maybe that's part of the problem. Scarlet and I sit out on the balcony
and talk about the white knight on the fiery horse coming to sweep us
off our feet. But we never got much past that I suppose.”
She half smiled and looked at him "My knight has come and I don't know
what to do with him. Maybe it's because I've made the Ace my castle and part
of me doesn't want to give that up."

"Have I asked that of you?"

"No, not yet." She said softly

Tensleep looked at the woman he loved. "And I never will, that is your
decision."

”I've never met a man thinks it's ok for his wife to be running a
saloon such as the Ace."

”You never met a man like me darlin', I'm my own man, secure and self
reliant."

"One who seems to have all the answers." She chuckled softly and smiled
at him.

John Ross sat quietly trying to decide how to tell Rebecca that he had
fought through all this in his mind several hundred times. He was no
closer this morning than he was last night or last week or last month. He knew
he loved her and wanted her to be his wife, but to say he didn't care that
she ran a saloon with whores seemed awfully unfeeling.

"I wish that I did, 'Becca."

Rebecca leaned back on the bench and crossed her legs as she looked out
over the garden.

”John I love you but you should know it scares the hell out of me. I
had a husband once and when he died I was left with nothing." Her brows
furrowed together again "I can't do that again. Right now I have me to depend on
and learning to depend on someone else who has the power to take that
independence is hard to swallow." She'd said it, it made her feel awful
but she'd said it.

"The last thing that I want to do is take your independence."

She took his hand in hers. "What do you see when you look into the future?"

"I see a house with a view of the mountains and horses in the pasture in
front, you and me on the porch. What do you see 'Becca?"

Rebecca bit her bottom lip as she smiled and blushed. Her green eyes
danced as she looked into his. "I'm a little embarrassed to tell you."

"Don't be, I want to know darlin'."

She laughed slightly, her eyes looking down then coming back to his. "Well
I don't know if it's the future I see or just something I see when I day
dream. It's very similar to yours though. Except you are chasing a couple
puppies across the porch. They are about age where they are just learning
how to get around pretty good."  She paused for a moment and suppressed a
smile, her cheeks blushed slightly. "Following you is some one that looks an awful lot like you and just learning to get around pretty good too."

"Is his hair the color of yours?"

"Yes, but his eyes are blue like his fathers."

"Is that something that you want to happen Rebecca?"

"A home and a family. It's one of those things I think about occasionally.
 I don't know if I’m ready for that yet. But I do know that when I am I
want you to be the man that little boy is following around." She smiled as she
looked out across the garden again. She was telling him things she would only
normally tell Scarlet, after a bottle when they both were in one of those
moods to share feelings that left someone feeling completely vulnerable.

Tensleep took her hand in his. "You tell me when you are ready and I'll do
 all that I can to make your dream come true."

She leaned in close and kissed him tenderly on the lips.

Scarlet Angel
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2005, 09:33:12 am »

Fritz

He hadn't been able to stay long in bed. Patience he had, but just sitting and doing nothing was not in Fritz's nature. He sat up slowly so as not to tear the stitches. Someone had cleaned his feet, and replaced the torn bloody socks with fresh ones. Fritz stood and took a step forward. His vision swam for a moment. Fortunately, the desk was only a couple of steps away.

When Rose asked where he'd like to rest, Fritz smiled and said, "Scarlet's room please." Rose raised an eyebrow, and laughed in spite of herself. She'd seen to his needs, and cared for him while he rested.

The cleaning kit was right where he'd left it, in the bottom desk drawer. His pistols had been laid out an unloaded. Only the Navy and the 1849 pocket had been fired, and that only once. Fritz wondered if he'd hit Cutter with that shot.

"The Navy first," he said, pulling the barrel wedge. As he scrubbed the barrel clean, Rose came in behind him. She set a steaming cup of coffee beside his gear.

"I was wondering when you'd wake up," she smiled. "Don't want no son of mine to be slackin'..."

"Thanks Rose...for everything." Fritz put down the barrel and picked up the cup. There was some molasses, and a bit of whiskey to go with it. "Ummm...perfect. You didn't think of bringing any food with you?"

Rose reached into her apron and tossed something on the desk. His badge clanked against the Navy's cylinder.

"Well, you can start by chewin' on those letters."

Fritz swallowed, and looked at the bundle.

"Ella gave 'em to me." Rose put her hand on his shoulder. "I guess in the confusion, I must've forgotten to mail them."

She walked to the door. "I'll see if can drum up anything. Don't go anywhere."

Scarlet rode towards the cemetery. Reaching the bottom of the hill she pulled the stallions head to her. She kissed the bay on the nose before she slid the halter over his ears. For a brief moment they looked one another in the eye before the horse turned and trotted into the group of mares and foals that followed him.

Scarlet turned her horse and rode to the cemetery. Tying Gypsy to the rail she went through the gate, stopping on her way to the graves to pick flowers from one of the bushes that her mother had planted there.

She kneeled next to Travis’ grave and placed the flowers beneath the headstone. Standing she took a deep breath and closed her eyes. The heinous laugh she had so often heard carried on the wind that kept old wounds fresh was gone, instead the wind carried the sound of the horses hoof beats.

Opening her eyes she saw the heard moving towards the river at a canter. Finally she could stand here and feel a sense of peace.

Scarlet watched the horses disappear into the distance then mounted Gypsy and headed for home her mind turning to Fritz as she rode. She’d lived the kind of hell she figured she’d put him through and it had nearly cost him his life. How did someone apologize for that?

By the time she reached the house she figured there was only one way.

Rose stopped her at the stairs and handed her a tray.

Scarlet was only slightly surprised seeing Fritz sitting at the desk when she came in.
She put the tray down next to the pistols then turned to face him.

“I’m sorry for what I put you through and I wouldn’t blame you if you’re mad.” She said softly.

Fritz

Suddenly food was the furthest thing from his mind.

"I could never be mad at you." He set the cylinder down and took her hands, not heedful of the gun oil. "I thought I'd lost you. I realized that nothing else mattered in my life. Not the service...not my badge. I was willing to kill...to die for you."

He looked down at her hands, and then his own.

"I have killed, Scarlet. I've fought for my country in war, and in many scirmishes since then. But I never considered it to be killing.

Scarlet put her hand to his cheek.

"As I lay wounded, Cutter told me I'd become like him...a killer." Fritz looked into her eyes. "I hope you can forgive me. If you can't I understand. I love you Scarlet. Whatever you decide about me, I'll always love you."

He held his breath, and waited for her answer...

Scarlet

“Oh Fritz.” He felt her squeeze his hand. For him to think she would judge him to be like that saddned her. If anybody would understand what he'd done, it would be Scarlet.

“Do not listen to the empty words of a dead twisted soul. You will never be like him.”

She cupped his face in her hands and smiled into his eyes.

“There is nothing to forgive you for. As for what I've decieded about you. I’ve decided I am very lucky to have found someone who loves me the way you do, someone I love very much.”

Her kiss was warm and sweet.

Scarlet half grinned as she looked at him. Picking the napkin up off the tray she gently attempted to wipe the gun oil from his cheeks.

Scarlet Angel
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2005, 10:18:37 am »

Posted by Scarlet & Fritz

Scarlet wiped the oil from her hands then traced her fingers along Fritz’s neck.
“Now eat something.” She said softly then stepped through the door that opened onto the balcony.

From where she stood Scarlet could see the marble statue of the rearing stallion in the middle of the pond that stood near the front of the rose garden which was in full bloom. She was thinking about the conversation she had had with Rebecca earlier.

She had thought it but she didn’t realize she’d said it out loud. “That would be the perfect place for a wedding.”

Outside, his hands were steady, but inside, his heart leaped. He carefully set the sandwich back on the tray, and stepped out onto the balcony beside her.

"Yes," Fritz smiled. "It WOULD be a lovely spot."

His shoulder was hurting some, but he hadn’t felt so alive in years. At one moment he felt weak and strong. He slid his hand along the rail, and slipped it over hers. Scarlet turned to him.

"Do you know what it means to marry a soldier?" Fritz asked, looking into her lovely face.

"I'm not marrying a soldier, darlin'," she replied. "I'm marrying a man."

They stood, gazing into each other's eyes. At that moment, there wasn't another soul on the face of the earth.

Scarlet laced her fingers between Fritz’s, pressed close then kissed him sensually.

This time it felt so right. Thoughts of why they should or should not be together never crossed her mind as she looked into his eyes; she just knew she loved the man that stood before her.

“You should see the way the sun dances across the flowers and the water in the pond around sunset.” The excitement in her voice was growing. “Sometimes mom floats flowers in there or changes the water blue. And near fall we get a big full moon that lights up the court yard. Moms been working on a dress …” Suddenly realizing she was beginning to run on and sound more like a school girl than herself she stopped, looked down and blushed slightly.

She wondered if Fritz realized just exactly what he did to her. She could be on top of the world and so nervous at the same time because of him; strong on the outside while she was falling apart on the inside when she was worried about him. Her father had been right when he had said Fritz had her heart.

Even when he'd jumped into the water naked, she hadn't blushed. That she did so now touched him inside in a way no one had before. Fritz knew he loved Scarlet more than any woman he ever had; more than anyone he ever could. He knew his love for her would stand for all ages. Fritz tilted her chin up. She smiled.

"Just name the day, dear Scarlet. I'm ready."

He bent and kissed her tenderly.

She held his hand smiling for a long moment before she led him back to the desk.

Opening the top drawer she pulled out a calendar, laid it on the desk and began to flip through the pages.

She had things written down like foaling/calving season, branding, breeding, and training. It seemed as if the next few months would be very busy around the Starr.
As she flipped the pages he saw she had birthdays and anniversaries of friends and family written in the pages. He saw she had drawn a smiley face next to his birthday.

“That looks to be a good day.” He said with a grin pointing at the smiley face.

“That is going to be a good day.” She smiled sweetly at him. “We shall think of something very nice to do. But it is too soon for a wedding in the rose garden if one of us would like to have the roses blooming.” She looked back at her book.

“There is a timing issue on when to prune roses if you want them to be blooming at a certain time. I could tell you a bit about it if you like but mother would be the one to ask if you want a full blown lesson.” She looked up at him with a grin.

“That’s ok.” Fritz chuckled.

“If you want to learn about anything that goes on at this ranch I can point you in the right direction.”

“What can you teach me?” His eyes danced mischievously.

She grinned flipping back through the book. “Most any of this.” She tapped the pages that said foaling/calving season, branding, breeding and training. “I can teach ya how to be a midwife for the horses’ n’ cattle and we can just go right on down the line.”

“I’d really like your help with putting the finishing touches on the horses that are sold. Mr. Whirly comes in.” Her voice trailed off and she flipped the calendar to September. There was very little written there, Johnny’s birthday on the 20th and Mr. Whirly on the 15th. Scarlet looked at the calendar for a moment.

“There’s a full moon on Thursday the 10th , mother always wants the place in top order when Mr. Whirly comes to pick up his horses anyway and that should give us plenty of time to put together the rest of the details that go along with a wedding.”

What do ya think?” She said with a soft smile.

There was a lot to learn about running a ranch. He'd worn army blue for so long he barely remembered anything else. Fritz knew that one day he'd leave the service. He figured on about ten years' worth of marshalling, and then a ranch. Scarlet knew so much about life, and he was eager to learn from her. And the sooner Fritz could marry her, the better. But the day had to be special.

"I guess that'll do," Fritz replied with a smile. He picked up a sandwich and took a bite. He was feeling a bit dizzy, so he sat on the end of the bed.

Scarlet put her hand on his shoulder. "Are you okay darlin'?"

"Yep...just gotta remeber I'm not quite 100 percent yet."

She caressed his check. "Maybe I should just tie you down in bed..."

"Don't tease," Fritz said with a grin.

“I just can’t help myself.” She smirked and her eyes danced mischievously.
Scarlet reached over and fluffed the pillows. “Now sit back.” Picking up the tray she waited for Fritz to get comfortable. “Finish this.” She said putting the tray on his lap “so you can get better and I can start teasing you again.”

She smiled the smile that told him how much she loved him, kissed him on the cheek. “So shall I go tell mother and Ella or do you prefer we tell everyone this evening at supper?”

He pushed the tray aside, and pulled her down to him.

"How 'bout we discuss it together very quietly in bed, and then go down to tell them?"

Scarlet's eyes danced. "Are you sure you can handle it?"

Fritz chuckled. "We'll manage somehow."

Scarlet pursed her lips, and blew the lamp out.

~~Later that evening~~

Everyone sat around the table discussing what they’d done that day. At times there were three different conversations going at the same time. This was one of those times.

Rose looked across the table at Scarlet and Fritz they had been fairly quiet and smiling at each other, more so than most nights.

Rose grinned. “You two look like the cat that swallowed the canary, what have you been up to today?”

Scarlet grinned back. “Spent the afternoon talkin’.”

“Anything interesting you’d like to share with the rest of us.” Rose grinned again waiting for Fritz to blush and Scarlet to give her a look that usually made Rose chuckle.

“As a matter of fact yes. We thought September tenth would be a good wedding date.”

Suddenly the conversations stopped and the room went quiet, everyone looked their way.

Rose looked shocked.

“Did I hear what I thought I heard?” Johnny asked.

“Yes Sir, September tenth.” Fritz smiled.

Posted by Ella

"What color do you want for a wedding dress?" asked Ella. "I've got a fair amount of lace already made that is suitable for trim. When I finished all the lace that Patches's dress could use, I started a length of ecru lace to have on hand. One reason I've been so willing to sit shifts in the telegraph office is that the peace and quiet in there lets me really crank out the lace."

She grinned at Patches and Bill, "And another reason was that when I was in there, Patches usually was helping Bill in his laboratory. I was hoping that giving them more time together would get Bill to pop the question sooner."

Ella, Scarlet and Patches exchanged grins.

“Mom has been working on one off and on for sometime, guess she might let us see it now.” Scarlet chuckled.

“Oh Ella I know exactly what we could do with the lace you had left over from Patches dress.” Rose piped in as she stood up to clear the dishes.

Scarlet stood to help, leaning close to Fritz she whispered in his ear. “I’ll see you in September.” Then grinned at him before she followed the others into the kitchen.

Rose was telling Ella about the small red roses she had started to sew around the waist, and bottom of the dress and how the lace would be perfect to scallop beneath them at the hem.

Posted by Fritz

Fritz watched her leave, and appreciated the view even more. Scarlet knew he was looking; he couldn't help himself. So she cast a glace over her shoulder, her eyes dark and smoky. Like the man said, "the eyes say it all."

A mason jar was set in front of him, along with a fine looking cigar. Fritz looked up; Johnny already had a lucifer going. He held it out so Fritz could light up.

Johnny said, "Why don't we go out on the porch and talk a spell?"

Fritz followed him out. The porch was wide and spacious. The were two cane-backed rockers side by side. Between them was a table with wrought iron legs. In the middle of the table was a large, well used ashtray.

The men sat and enjoyed their smokes awhile. Twilight was upon them. When night fell, the sky was alight with stars.

"I don't suppose I have to tell you not to hurt my little girl?"

Fritz sipped carefully at the glass, and found he didn't have to. He was drinking perhaps the finest bourbon that had ever crossed his lips.

"No," he replied. "I don't suppose I have to tell you just how much I love her?"

"No," Johnny said. "So, what about that dowry?"

Fritz was taken aback for a moment, but recovered well. "Whoever recovered my weapons has my long guns. There's a Sharps...

"Ah! The Berdan," Johnny smiled. "I have an original in my collection. They say that old fox Hyram himself used it." He took a long draw on the cuban. "But I don't have a conversion, and yours was done well."

Fritz drew smoke, and extended his hand. "Done then."

Johnny smiled. He liked this boy, despite his uniform. He'd grown on him.

"Done."

As they shook hands, Rose walked onto the porch, wiping her hands on her apron.

"What was that all about?" she asked.

"Nothin," Johnny replied.

"You aren't bothering our soon to be son-in-law about a dowry, are you?"

Scarlet Angel
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2005, 10:26:07 am »

posted by Scarlet

Johnny shook his head no but the sparkle in his blue eyes told Rose he was up to some kind of mischief.

“I wouldn’t want to have ta make ya choose your own green twitch.” Rose teased.

“Does it look like I am bothering him?” Johnny half smiled.

Rose just shook her head as she went back into the house.
----------

Combined effort of Scarlet & Tensleep

Rebecca watched the wagon from the Starr roll by on it’s way to the cemetery.

Trixie, dressed in black, sat silently next to the driver. Rebecca knew Trixie mourned for the people that occupied the two coffins in the back of the wagon. She didn’t mourn for the death of her sons whose bodies she told the posse to leave in the dessert to rot into hell, she mourned for the two people whose lives had been cut short because of them.

As Rebecca watched the wagon roll down the street towards boot hill she thought about something Scarlet had told her not to long ago.

Walking out behind the kitchen Rebecca cut two different red roses and a white one. Going back into the kitchen she took a glass vase down from the shelf filled it with water then placed the roses inside. Then she headed across the street to the Marshals office where she’d seen Tensleep go earlier.

She was so consumed by her thoughts she was walking into the office before she knew it. As he looked up from the paperwork he was doing she found herself not knowing exactly what to say.

"Hello darlin', what brings you to me?" Tensleep stood and came around the desk.

"Thought these might brighten up the place." She held out the vase looking at the flowers. "Rose told me once the colors had meaning. True red is the lover's rose. Fiery red symbolizes the flames of passion and white, loyalty. I know how you like the rose garden and I do have a few of them behind the Ace."

Thank you darlin', where should we put them?"

"Where ever you like." She smiled softly. "When will you be going back to
the Starr?"

"When you go with me or tell me to leave, but not until."

A light tap came on the door before the woman opened it and walked in smiling carrying a basket.

Alice had been attempting to win the marshal’s affections since he’d come to town. Usually when she showed up Rebecca would politely excuse herself and go back to the Ace leaving the marshal to “proper” company.

Alice smiled sweetly at Tensleep then turned to Rebecca, looked her up and down disapprovingly, waiting for her to leave. Instead Rebecca raised an eyebrow, returned the disapproving look and crossed her arms over her chest.

Tensleep watched as the two completely opposite women stood in the middle of his office. Alice in her sensible shoes and tan cotton dress with the bonnet that hung at the back of her neck. Rebecca in her black satin corset, green lace skirt, net stockings and high heels.

“Don’t you have men to entertain in the saloon Miz Valentine?” Alice said smugly.

“Maybe if you knew how to entertain one you still wouldn’t be hunting them.” Rebecca snorted.

Alice was shocked Rebecca usually was not bold when out of her house of sin. “Well I never!”

“Oh I’m sure you haven’t.” Rebecca said putting her hands on her hips glaring at Alice.

Alice moved to step around Rebecca who moved and planted her feet in front of the shorter woman. Alice looked wide eyed at her.

“I came to see if Marshal Ross would like to share supper.” Alice stated.

“John already has a date for supper.” Becca retorted.

Alice’s mouth dropped slightly and her eyes grew wider when she heard Rebecca use his first name.

“Tis you who needs to politely excuse yourself today.” Rebecca hissed pointing her finger towards the door.

Alice backed away, she’d seen Rebecca in a few fights and had no desire to be part of it. Squaring her shoulders she tried to regain composure.

“Perhaps another day, excuse me.” She said as politely as she possibly could.

Rebecca stood with her back to John trying to calm herself after Alice left. “I’m sorry, I ask you not to come into my place of business and make a scene and yet here I am. That woman just makes me so mad” her hands made tight fists at her side “the way she looks at me like I am the devil ‘emself.”

The Marshal walked up behind her and put his arms around her. "Miss
Valentine I will not hear of an apology from you." His grin was growing.
"I want my woman to take a stand when she feels the need."

He turned her to face him and said, "Now about that supper.... the Ace
or the Cafe?"

"I have it on good authority that the Ace has the best cook in town. Have to go back to the Starr for better." She smiled as she traced her fingers along his cheek.

"The Ace it is then, I know the owners there and we should be able to
get a good table." He chuckled, "I just hope that they have two nice steaks and a good bottle of red wine. You can never tell what will be on the menu out here in the west. I have heard that certain establishments even serve caviar and other delicacies."

John Ross took Rebecca's hand and tucked it under his arm then picked
up his hat. "I hope that you don't mind being seen with a rather uncouth lawman because I intend to escort you to supper the long way 'round so that people can see that I am with the prettiest woman in El Paso." With that he closed the door behind them and turned left onto the boardwalk which led them away from the Ace.

Rebecca smiled at him. “I don’t see any uncouth lawman present, but no, I don’t mind as long as they behave themselves.” She teased.

Rebecca ignored some of the looks from the women as they walked; she was well practiced at that.

“Do you spend much time talking with Scarlet?” Rebecca asked.

He knew by the sound of her voice her mind was turning things over as it often did when it came to him.
"We talk a little, mostly business......... and about other things. Why do you ask?"

"Grey Eagle says sometimes she speaks with much wisdom and when she does I would be wise to listen."

"Grey Eagle is also very wise." Tensleep was watching her from the corner
of his eye and also watching the looks on the faces of the townspeople. He
saw the Mayor approaching them.

"Mr. Mayor, have you met my fiancée, Miss Rebecca Valentine?" Tensleep
watched the mayor closely. Both the mayor and Rebecca looked a bit surprised at the introduction.

"Yes, I've had the pleasure. Miss Valentine." He tipped his hat. "Congratulations to the two of you."

"Thank you sir and a good evening to you."

The grin on the marshal's face was as wide as he could make it as he and
Rebecca stepped on down the street. Word would spread quickly now, the
mayor's wife was one of El Paso's biggest gossips.

"The mayor is very tactful." Rebecca said quietly.

"Do you think I shocked him?" Tensleep chuckled. "Did I shock you?"

"Yes, I think he was as surprised as I was. I think he is disappointed, I am
not."

"Why is he disappointed? He has no reason does he?" Tensleep turned her
and looked into her eyes. "You sure about this Miss Valentine?"

Rebecca glanced down avoiding his look. "He will find someone else to
spend his time with. It is you I worry about disappointing."

"Why would I be disappointed darling?" He tipped her chin up with his
finger and searched her eyes.

"Because most folks will not be as tactful as the Mayor. It's not really
the women's comments that concern me."

"Rebecca if I cared what people said or thought about me I would never
have taken your hand and stepped into the streets. What people think is their
business and I really don't give a damn."

It seemed no matter how much they had spoken of what she did Rebecca just couldn’t get past what she was.

"But I worry about your heart John." She said placing her palm on his
chest. "I worry about how much pain being with me will bring you when the men tell you they've had the pleasure of my bed also."

"The only thing that will happen is that they will look at me and know
that I am the man in your bed now. I doubt many will ever want to brag to me about being with you sugar." He clasped her hand and started to walk.

"Scarlet spoke of regrets. Do you have any?" Rebecca looked at him as they walked.

"Yep, I do."

"You?"

"I suppose everyone has them." Rebecca said thoughtfully

"My only regret is not finding you when you were 16 darlin'." John Ross,
US Marshal took Rebecca Valentine in his arms on the main street of El PasoTexas and kissed her as soundly as she had ever been kissed in her life.

"That should really give them something to talk about now." He winked at
her.

She blushed slightly and chuckled. John had the ability to make her feel like she was 16.

"Where you expect we will live after we are married." She stopped and looked up at him. "I mean much of your time is at the Starr and my time is here."

He found they had come to a stop in front of the Ace.
"I suppose that I will have to split my time between El Paso and the Starr
at first, but I intend to be where you are as much as I can. Someday when you are ready to leave the Ace I would like for us to live in northern New Mexico, where the plains meet the mountains."

Tensleep stood looking around; they seemed to have drawn quite a crowd of watchers. "You ready for supper Miss Valentine?"

She took his hand as they went into the Ace. "I didn't know my girls had the time to stop and gawk at folks outside." She said as they walked past a couple of the girls who had been peeking over the door.

"No ma'am." They replied with grins on their faces and moved off into the
crowd.

Rebecca lead him through the kitchen, stopping to ask Sadie to prepare them steaks, then continued out the back door to a small table that sat in the yard.

"This is our outside dining. You have a nice view of the horses and the rose bushes, the only drawback is when you have something to eat the dog and cats show up. If you prefer we can find something inside."

"I prefer a table that is quiet with you sitting next to me so that we can
talk and eat alone. Here is good and the dog and cats are no bother. Who
knows, I may want to kiss you between courses." Tensleep took her hand and winked, then he seated her and pulled a chair around so that they were next to each other rather than across the table.

"If it's no trouble I would like to have all our meals here when I'm in
town."

"Darlin' where ever you like is fine with me." She said as she leaned back,
crossed her legs and tried to relax. "The balcony off my room is also nice
at times."

The sounds of their voices brought Timber and a large long haired black cat whose eyes matched Rebecca’s.

"I told you." She said pointing to the two who had come to join them in the
small courtyard.

"Hey Timber!" Tensleep ruffled the hair on the dog's back."How are you big fella? Who's your friend?" Timber's tail was wagging hard against the table leg and causing a rocking motion.

"I think that your dog likes attention darlin'." The rubbing continued. "Your
balcony would be a nice place to have breakfast and perfect for a drink
late at night watching the stars."

”Not much around here that doesn't enjoy attention." She chuckled. "That's Stormy" Becca said nodding towards the cat who watched them. "This seems to be a home for a lot of strays down on their luck at times."

"And we are all grateful that Rebecca and Scarlet are willing to take us in
and find a job we are happy with." Sadie said with a smile as she placed the plates down. "If there's anything you need let me know." She said as she turned to go back inside.

"Thank you." Rebecca replied to Sadie then fell silent trying to figure out
just how you told a man one day you were not ready and the next day you were to be his wife.

Tensleep looked up from his steak and saw the confused look on Rebecca's face.

Taking her hand he asked, "Is there something bothering you darling?"

"Just thinking about the last few days is all. I saw Trixie headed up to the cemetery earlier. Those folks were newlyweds, hadn't even had a chance to start life together."

Rebecca took off the thin long chain that hung around her neck. He couldn't tell what was on it as the chain was long enough the charm hung out of sight. She held it in her hand for a moment then picked it out of her palm with her other hand. Rebecca held the platum and gold ring between her fingers looking at it.

"This is the only thing I have left of my father besides a few memories. I know men often put their mothers or grandmothers ring on the finger of their bride. Would it be strange if this were the ring I put on your finger when we are married?" Her eyebrows knitted together as she looked at the band. Then she looked John. "I understand if it would be uncomfortable to wear it though."

"I don't think that it would be strange at all and I would be proud to
wear your father's ring. That you would ask me to wear it means so much to me,
I hope that I can live up to it's meaning to you." The look that passed over
Rebecca's face showed her great relief.

"Now my dear, you just need to tell me when you want to put it on my
finger." Tensleep locked his eyes with hers when he spoke. "You name a
date."

"You mentioned the garden at the Starr. I guess I need to ask Rose how long
it would take to help put something together, because I really don't know.
And I hardly think I have anything appropriate in my closet to wear." Rebecca chuckled.

"I suppose that the next thing we need to do is go to see Rose then and
let the flurry of activity begin." Tensleep chuckled. "I can see me being
pushed out the door and plans being made and sewing needles flashing."

Rebecca laughed softly. "It better be before you figure out the truth
about my cooking."

Later that evening when Rebecca took the stage to sing every cowboy in the
saloon felt as if she was singing to them, but her heart belonged to only one.

Standing at the batwings John Ross was filled with love for the woman on
the stage. His eyes never left her as he took every word she was singing into his heart.

Tensleep and Becca were up with the sun and on their way to the Starr to
talk to Rose.

Rebecca couldn't help but have an ear to ear smile this morning.

"Darlin'," Tensleep said in his slow drawl. "You look especially lovely this
morning and that smile is as bright as the sun. I sure hope that I had a
little to do with putting it there."

Rebecca moved her horse near him, leaning over she kissed his cheek. “You are the reason for my smile.” She said softly.

"Now that is good to hear cuz you are the reason I want to be the best I
can be. I want you to always look just like you do now and to act just like
you did last night." He winked as he returned her kiss.

Rebecca grinned, giggled then kicked her horse into a gallop.

Tensleep made Buck jump with a touch of the spur but reined him in behind Rebecca's mount. He watched the graceful way the woman moved and loved to see her posting in rhythm with the horse. His eyes caught every movement of the curvy, long legged love of his life.

Too soon to suit him the Starr loomed on the horizon and the flash of a
telescope told him they had been spotted by the lookout. Reining Buck
to the side 'Sleep pulled up beside Becca and motioned for her to slow
down.

They were bid good morning by the hands as they passed.

"Where is Rose?" Becca asked one of the men.

"In the pen, been working with one of the colts this morning." He pointed
towards the round pen where they could see Rose and Scarlet working with a couple of horses.

"Thanks" Rebecca said.

"Ma'am, Marshal." he said touching the brim of his hat.

The gate to one of the small corrals was open and the couple rode in.
Tensleep offered his hand to Rebecca helping her dismount. "Honey, why
don't you go and talk to Rose? I'll strip the horses and cool them off then come and join you."

By the time Tensleep made it back to the where the women were he
could already hear plans being placed into motion.

"I know, you don't hafta tell me..... I'll just go to my office and be a
good marshal while y'all make plans for my future." Tensleep winked at the conspirators.

The women watched him go then went to the herb garden to talk to Ella.

Hearing Scarlet say “well just ask her.” followed by Rose chuckling caused Ella to look up at the trio coming towards her.

“Ella, do you think you would have time to help Rose make another wedding dress by September 10th?” Rebecca asked hopefully.

Scarlet Angel
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2005, 10:26:56 am »

posted by Ella

"I certainly am glad to have that sewing machine! Of course I would have time to make you a wedding dress, Rebecca," replied Ella. "Are there any more weddings pending? Maybe Jimmy and Sadie?"

posted by Scarlet

“Thank you Ella!”
Rebecca hugged Ella not caring she had caught Ella off guard and now had some of the dirt she had been working with on her shoulders from the hug she got back.

The women grinned at Ella’s comment about another wedding.

“You never know, weddings seem to be contagious.” Rose said through her grin.

“Sadie’s got her mothers wedding dress. Had it the day she moved into the Ace, was one of the few things she held onto.” Rebecca said.

Scarlet chuckled and shook her head. “Better not go puttin’ ideas in Sadie’s head Becca.”

“We can make a list of things I need to order or get at the mercantile. I’d like green ribbons or something on it.” Rebecca bubbled.

posted by Ella

"It's Jimmy's head that needs the idea put into." Ella laughed, "Oh my, that sentence had very German sentence structure, but you know what I meant. As soon as I finish here, Rose and I should measure you, Rebecca, and start tossing design ideas around. I've got a bit of the emerald satin left over from the dress I wore for New Year's Eve. Maybe we could put scraps of that behind cutwork in ivory satin. "

posted by Scarlet

“Oh that sounds wonderful.” Rebecca said starting to help Ella. She looked up at Scarlet. “I’d like to ask Trixie to be here. Think she’d stay on for a bit if we offered her a job at the Ace?”

“I like that idea.” Scarlet looked over her shoulder where the woman was standing with Jimmy looking over one of the horses. “Fact now is a good time.” She said with a sly grin and wandered off.

“Don’t be thinkin’ like a woman now.” Rose laughed after her. “That’s what Jimmy would say about it.” She said to Ella and Becca.

posted by Fritz

Fritz stared at a spot just above and to the left of Colonel Troutman’s ear. He’d had his ass chewed before…but not recently. He stood rigidly at attention. His left arm hung in a sling, his sack coat draped over his shoulders. The wound in his side still hurt some, but he tried to pay it no mind.

“If you were my soldier, I’d have your ass in irons right now! In all my years of service, this is the most egregious violation of military rules I’ve ever seen! Who the hell do you think you are?”

Fritz kept his mouth shut. He knew whatever answer he’d give was wrong, and the Colonel would just get angrier.

“Larceny of Government Property…”

Fritz couldn’t recall what was stolen. The Gatling gun had been completely disassembled and cleaned (by Bill, just because he was curious) and returned to the armory.

“Misappropriation of Government Property…

Fritz had expended one full magazine from the gun, totaling 40 rounds of .45-70 ammunition. He’d since reloaded and returned the casings, plus the extras Keith had provided him.

“You’re a liar and a cheat, and if you were my solider, I’d have you court-martialled!!!”

Fritz held his tongue. He didn’t like being called a liar and a cheat without cause. To his knowledge, he hadn’t lied or cheated anyone.

“But,” Colonel Troutman added, “I’ve been reminded that you’re NOT my soldier.” He flipped through letters on his desk, and found one on heavy parchment, bearing a presidential seal.

“You have powerful friends, apparently. I’ve been reminded that you only belong to this post administratively. You’re assigned to the Territorial Marshal. What’s that?” Troutman asked, pointing to the folder under Fritz’ arm.

Fritz handed the folder over. “My report, sir.”

“On what?”

“On the field testing of the M1874 Gatling gun, “Camel gun” variant.”

The Colonel flipped through the file. He was impressed, despite himself.

“Any problems with it?”

“The folding sights are a bit flimsy for my tastes,” Fritz replied. “I’d make them fixed, and heavier.”

Troutman tossed the file onto his cluttered desk. “That’s all, sergeant,” he said.

Fritz rendered a salute, and began to about-face.

“Oh, Sergeant,” Troutman said, “there IS one more thing.”

The other shoe was about to drop.

“By regulation, the rank of First Sergeant was created as a buffer between the commissioned and enlisted ranks…would you agree?”

“Yes sir,” he replied.

“Should the commissioned officer be injured or killed, the First Sergeant takes command of troops in the field. Isn’t that right?”

Fritz knew where this was going. “Yes sir.”

Troutman was smiling now. He put both hands on top of his desk.

“Do you currently lead troopers in the field?”

Fritz sighed. “No, sir.”

“Then, administratively, I’m reducing you in rank to Sergeant. Should you decide to return to your duties of leading troopers in the field, your rank, and requisite pay, will be immediately reinstated.” The Colonel didn’t wait for a reply. He turned on his heel, and looked out the window. “You’re dismissed, Sergeant.”
Fritz turned and left the office, without bothering to close the door.

Rosie O’Grady had been serving the troops for many a year. Back during the war, when she was young and fair, she serviced the men in other ways. She’d saved a fair penny or two in the process. Now, she was the only authorized person to wash and mend troopers’ uniforms. She looked at the solider riding up and smiled, seeing the old, sky-blue greatcoat mounted on the saddle. Then she saw the blood.

“Now you be givin’ me that sack coat and greatcoat right now. Jesus!” Rosie spat. “It might be better if you stripped naked, and jumped into this here bucket of lye.”

Fritz pulled the greatcoat from its straps and handed it over. He took off the sack coat and gave it over as well.

“Rosie, would you cut the lozenges off before you clean ‘em?” Fritz asked.

“Were ya busted now, Sergeant?”

“Yep…you could say that,” Fritz replied.

“Well, don’t you worry none,” Rosie smiled. “You keep your nose clean, and you’ll get ‘em back.. I’ll have these ready by Thursday.”

Fritz tossed her a coin. “No hurry,” he added, as he turned to leave.

Fritz saluted the colors. As he rode to the gate, he saluted the Officer of the Day.

“You’re out of uniform, Mister,” the young Lieutenant remarked.

Fritz looked down. “Yep…I guess I am," he said. He reached into his vest pocket, and pinned the badge back on his vest. With that, Fritz rode out the gate.

The End

Winston Dawg
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2012, 12:39:10 am »

Well I am still waiting for it to be continued! Hugs WD

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  GENERAL TOPICS  |  Saddlebag Tales (Moderators: Marshal'ette Halloway, Lucky Irish Tom)  |  Topic: Missing Angels --Another Petticoat Posse Tale « previous next »
Jump to: