Author Topic: TL's Spencer Loading station - XXX Rated PLUS 115 Beautiful Babes!!!  (Read 11936 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Howdy to the camp,

Added:   115 Beautiful Babes at the end of this post ;D ;D

Here are some pics and a description of the process I use to load Spencer cartridges.  I have used it for both the .56-50 Taylor's and my original .56-56 1860 model.  I load about 3 Spencer rounds a minute when loading Hodgdon's 777, and 2 rounds a minute when loading Goex Black Powder.  Lubing the .56-56s after assembly, I lube about 4-5 rounds a minute.

The set up is based on my Lee turret press with auto-index.  It is mounted (along wil my Lee Load-All 12 Gauge loader) on a small counter top monted on a restaraunt table pedistal to make it portable. I have updated the turret press to the newer four hole turret. 

I use the standard 3 die set (Lyman with the 56-50 Taylor's and CH 4-D with the 56-56) and a Lee universal charging die in the fourth hole. I mount a Lee deluxe auto disk powder drop (with double disk kit)on top when loading with smokeless or Hodgdon's 777, or a drop tube when loading black. 

Notes on the powder drop: As the Spencer rounds are too large to enter and activate the automatic powder dump, I have altered the activator arm (the one for use with Lee progressive presses) to use manually. (You see a 30 Carbine case forced on the arm to extend it, and the tape keeps the arm from moving too far). For the .56-56 I use two stacked 1.36 disks to dump equivilant of the Lee 2.5cc dipper (39 grains by volume) of powder.  With Hodgdon's 777, this is 30 grains by weight. I don't recall what disks I used for the 56-50 in lieu of the Lee 2.8cc dipper.

All rotations and indexing is done automatically by the action of the lever.

1) First stage:  Decap and full length re-size (helps hold bullets in case better).  Set primer on down stroke of the ram.

2)  Second stage: Case expander/ belling die.  Slightly flare the case mouth.

3) Third stage: Powder drop die: Run case up against bottom of charging die.  manually dump BP or use lever to dump 777 into case through the die.

3a) Seat bullet on top of powder

4) Fourth Stage: Seating/crimp die, seat and crimp bullet.

5) If loading .56-56, lube bullets after assembly with  Lee Alox on smokeless and 777 loads or dip noses into melted Beeswax/Crisco if loading black powder. On 56-50s, the bullets are inside lubed and done prior to loading.

115 Beautiful Babes   ::) ::) ::)

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: TL's Spencer Loading station XXX Rated PLUS 115 Beautiful Babies!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 10:50:21 AM »
Hello to the camp!

The above 115 pretty maids represent about 2 hours to 2 1/2 work if you include the casting. (It's 115 because that's all the brass I have!).

The load is:  Buffalo Arms modified 50-70 brass (both Bell and Starline), Rapine 535370 bullet (hard cast old bullets, wheel weights, and with a little linotype metal added weighing in at 365 grains actual weight), 30 grains by weight (about 38.5 to 39 grains by volume) of Hodgdon's FFG 777, and finally a CCI Large Magnum Rifle pimer.  The Lube is Lee Alox Liquid, painted on after assembly.  I cover from about 1/8 inch bellow the case mouth,  over the bullet/case junction, over the driving band, lube groove, and on up to within 1/8" of the metplate.

Between the hard, hard cast, the Lee Alox and the sub-1200 fps velocity, I have as of yet to see and hint of leading.

I clean the cases in very hot soapy water.  It melts off the Alox, and nuetralizes the 777.  Air dry and tumble.

The sad thing is that I can blast off all 115 rounds in less time than it took me to just cast the bullets!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 11:23:10 AM »
Congrats to the new father!!!  Those are darling!

Actually,  I am curious as to how much those babies cost factoring in everything exept the cost of you machinery.  Those of us that dont reload would love to have that information so we can decide if maybe we should be reloading.   Thanks.   Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Advertising

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 12:41:07 PM »
Howdy,

Most folks have the 56-50 Taylors (or 45 Schofield, 44-40, 44 Russian) etc. Replicas.  They are cheaper, as the dies are cheaper.

The Lee auto index Turret press without dies is about $100 to 125, Charging die and powder dump another $50ish, I'm guessing.  Lyamn dies for the 56-50 (.512 bore) are about $40, whereas the CH 4D original 56-50 (.520 bore) and 56-56 dies are about $150 now.  Molds for all calibers run about $70 to $150 or so.

Starline Taylors 56-50 brass is about $0.85 each, but lasts forever.  Brass for the original 56-50s and 56-56s is cheapest from Buffalo arms, and I think is about $1.50 each or so.  It is actually cheaper now that they use Starline 50-70 brass than it was when they used Bell brass.  It was almost $2.25 each then.

Those are your one-time costs.

Lead, I use wheel weights and bullets from calibers I no longer shoot and add some linotype metal (not necessary, I just like it harder), so lead cost is minimal. 

Primers about $1.75 a hundred

Lee Alox  ABout $4 for 4 ozs.  That will lube several thousand round painting it on.

I use triple 7, which has jumped to about $22 to $25 a pound.  There are 7,000 grains (weight) of powder in a pound of 777.  Using 30 grains by weight of 777 (@39 grains by volume) will give you 233 rounds of 56-56 (or 56-50) per pound.

If you get wheel weight lead free, the cost is $0.11 a round in powder, about $0.02 worth of lube, and $0.02 for a primer.

I figure about $0.15 a round to shoot my Spencer after an initial investment of about a $350 for mold, press, powder dump, and dies.  You can save on the press and powder dump picking it up on EBAY.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
Re: TL's Spencer Loading station - XXX Rated PLUS 115 Beautiful Babes!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 01:40:22 PM »
Thanks for the breakdown.  Facts like that help to make a decision regarding reloading vs. buying new vs.  using the reloading service at TENX for example.

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 01:55:25 PM »
Deadeye,

The other thing to consider is to buy the finished cartridges from Ten-X and then RETURN the empty brass to them for the reloads.  Their price with your brass is:

56-50 Spencer ● 350 RNFP 50 $ 40
56-50 Spencer BPC ● 350 RNFP 50 $ 42

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 02:16:50 PM »
Thanks Two Flints.  I had seen TENX reload prices and felt they were pretty good actually.   Of course no where near as inexpensive as doing it yourself after purchasing the equipment.  However, for those of us that really dont have the time or the knowledge base it is really great to have a company like TENX to go to for ammo and reloads.   I just ordered two boxes of 56-50 from TENX and will likely use them for reloading my empty brass as well.  Richard is a great guy and has been very helpful with my questions.   Now all I have to do is wait for my Taylor Spencer to come in.........   Safe shooting.  Deadeye.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 04:14:42 PM »
Howdy,

Ten-X is great ammo.  They helped Taylor's with the development of the modern 56-50 for Armisport.  I used their ammo (as well as my reloads) in the article I wrote for the cowboy Chronicle about the 56-50 Taylor's.  Here is an excerpt from my original draft:

...Loads Used:
1)   37.5 grains (volume) Triple 7 w/ 350 grn, .512 diameter Ken’s Ten-X bullet:  Starline brass,
                CCI Magnum Rifle Primer (about 1,250 fps)
2)   KEN’S TEN-X 350 grain Smokeless (about 1,300 fps)
3)   KEN’S TEN-X 350 grain Black Powder Substitute (about 1,100 fps)

At The Range:

I managed to break free from about 20+ hours of work on the ranch one weekend and shoot the Taylor's Spencer 56-50 for the first time.  I used Ken's TEN-X loads and my BP substitute (Triple 7) loads. I set up at 25 yards, as I have lost my spectacles and can't see well at distances without them.  It would not be a fair test. The first groups were uniformly to the left, so I adjusted the rear sight for windage.  After I got the Spencer  dialed in, I shot for group size.

Ken's BP substitute loads were fairly tame.  The best group I got with them was a 1 1/4" group, dead on point of aim at 25 yards.  His smokeless loads were noticeably stiffer, but shot a decent 1 3/4" group, though they shot about 2-3" left of the BP substitute loads, but at the same level.

My Triple 7 loads were the best. The Best group with them was 1" center to center, 2" above point of aim, dead in the middle of the bulls-eye.  They were as stout as the smokeless, but no signs of excessive
pressure.

This is fairly decent, as the trigger pull is about 9-10 lbs and the sun was just starting to shine into my eyes. All of these loads were good enough for close in.  When I get a new pair of glasses, I will try it at 50 and 100 yards.  The only modification I made prior to shooting was to open the rear sight up a might for a faster acquisition of sight picture.....

...I then used the Spencer in single shot mode for the Plainsmen event, shooting clean. I single loaded each shot from the top, al-la 1870's cavalry style.  In the Plainsman Match, I used Ken's Ten-X BP loads. I also used the 56-50 Taylors as a main match rifle (with the posse leader's blessing) on several stages, also shooting clean.  It was a great week-end for Taylor’s .56-50 Spencers!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 06:23:13 AM »
TL,   Thank you for the review.  Now you have made me more anxious than ever waiting for MY Spencer to come in.  Waiting is so hard to do!! 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com