Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 07:59:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  Shooter's Meeting (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: Tell me about your guncart 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Tell me about your guncart
I built it myself - 228 (56.9%)
A friend built it - 46 (11.5%)
I bought it from a supplier - 44 (11%)
I don't have a guncart - 80 (20%)
I bought it used - 3 (0.7%)
Total Voters: 376

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tell me about your guncart  (Read 133104 times)
Ottawa Creek Bill
Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2004, 07:08:04 am »

My gun cart stands 14.3 hands, is a pure six year old dark Charcoal colored Wyoming Mustang (almost a black mottled coat) named McGregor (got him from a BLM sale when he was about two). You can see the Spanish Barb in this horse he has a dished face like an Arabian. I don't worry about bigger wheels to make it easier for him to get around on, just new shoes every once in a while. Best mounted shooting horse I've ridden at this point in time. Carries all the guns and ammo I need and no, I didn't make him, GOD DID (Kitchi Manido). He loves people and he likes to go fast. I'll post a picture of him here next week some time, real Indian horse.

OCB

Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

J.W.Neely
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2004, 06:22:17 pm »

It's a dandy of a guncart, it was my winter 03-04 shop project.
This winter seems to be remodeling the master(s) bathroom.

Black powder shooting is like holding history in your hands.
Camille Eonich
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2004, 05:30:04 pm »

Well here is a photo of my latest Cart.

It is a Cactus Cris Special. Cap and Ball Special that is, and I FLAT LOVE IT

Mason

P.S. Cactus has made 2 of my carts and they are first rate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grin

Does Cactus Cris have a web site?

“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood
Stump Water
I ain't gonna worry about it.
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2004, 06:32:09 pm »

I've been thinking about designing (another Wink) cart, one with a removable rifle rack that can be put into a bracket mounted on a wall, so it can be used as both cart and display.  Still playing with the idea.

Hext,  take a look at our cart:

http://kimandbarrymckenzie.com/Gun_cart/

The "rack" is detachable.  Notice the six clevis pins that hold it in place.  Three on each side.... one attaches the bottom of the rack to the cart body, one attaches the brace to the rack, and one attaches the brace to the cart body.

Pull the six pins and the rack and braces lay nicely in the cart... after you rearrange all of the other junk that's in it.  Roll Eyes

But... to the matter of a SxS, you can see by the cutouts for the long-gun muzzles that I haddn't planned on a sojourn into classic cowpoke when the cart was made.  Undecided

I haddn't thought of also using the rack as a wall rack... but now that you mention it, it does kinda look like one of the rifle racks in the sheriffs offices of the old west.  Grin

El Peludo
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2004, 01:38:55 pm »

Mine is made on a garden wagon chassis.  Its heavy, and a lot bigger than most, but it has a (always) vertical gun rack for six long guns, a place to carry my cooler (a necessity), and a large possibles box that doubles as a seat.  The rack provides a back rest for the seat.  I could quite easily add an umbrella holder.  And, with the tires fully inflated, it pulls or pushes fairly easily; that's important, too.

El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.
Bar Stool Billy
Active citizen

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2005, 08:31:35 am »

I finished mine yesterday. I used the Gunslinger plans that are floating around the wire and went from there. I wanted the box to come off and I made a few other changes.

BSB
Wes Virginian
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2005, 06:30:24 pm »

I built one several years ago  and early this month I bought an "Off The Wall" cart from Gunther Cartright. Expensive but very nice..

Texican Rangers, Co. A, Kanawha Valley Regulators, NRA Life-Endowment, SASS Life 40471, NCOWS 2037, GAF, USN '60/'63.
litl rooster
Cowboy Philanthropist
Top Active Citizen

I ain't sold my saddle

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2005, 07:11:22 pm »

could have bought one for less than I built my own Grin Grin Grin

still need to build a box and wire the GPS and lap top in

* Cart 2.JPG (5.09 KB, 100x158 - viewed 1198 times.)

"the ringin' of my jinglebobs is music to my soul.

Joshua 1.9

Singing Bear
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2005, 02:28:02 pm »

Mine's a cross between Barstool and Rooster.  Handmade, simple and inexpensive.  Holds 4 long guns and a cooler for a seat.  Has a small chest with 2 drawers to hold ammo and a small box at the top for my coffee.   Was made with cheap 1x6 pine.  Light and functional.

My next is going to be more exotic.  Basically the same design, but made with koa.  Wheels are used 16" wooden spoked pneumatic wheels with standard 1/2" roller bearing hubs.  Came off an old miniature car.  Needs sanding, painting and staining, but will look pretty cool.  Heavier components but will be smaller.  Smiley
The Arapaho Kid
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2005, 11:00:43 am »

I had to go cheap and simple!  I drive a 73 Volkswagen Bug and there's no trailer hitch on the back, so my gun cart has to be able to fold up and fit in the back seat.  This one was about 45 bucks out the door.  It holds my rifle, scattergun and my Winchester ammo box.  I made some coathanger wire hangers and I hang my tomahawk, whip and canteen, or my two liter wooden water barrel on the outside.  It ain't fancy....but it works!
B. Butch Cavendish
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2005, 12:00:01 am »

Mine looks alot like M.D,'s except it not painted red. It's pine, holds 5, with a umbrella, the seat with pillow are cowhide, and it has the sass logo with my name and no. on the front box.  I have my untl. BC in gold near the handle, and a couple hook. I for my leather cowboy canteen,, the other for a Medicine bag I use for brass. I put extra stuff in a pair of saddle bags with conchos. It's a very cool ride.

Butch Cavendish was the first lone Ranger bad guy. Arizona Rangers, Sons of confederate veterans, William Clarke Quantrill Society. Outlaw, lawdog, merchant, mercenary, Preacher. "Too mean to forgive, Too mad to forget."
jiminy criquet
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2005, 02:19:53 am »

Somewhere there's a little old lady missing her walker/shopping cart.  (just kidding)
Lee Melone
Citizen

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2005, 06:44:47 pm »

Here's me new one.  The outhouse was a bit big.

* smaller picture of guncart 1.jpg (93.54 KB, 411x770 - viewed 1182 times.)

* smaller picture of guncart 2.jpg (74.11 KB, 390x785 - viewed 895 times.)
Kid Cavalier
Have Cards Will Travel
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2005, 07:48:55 pm »

Hola Jefe..
Are these both your carts?  Heck of a paint job on the Stars and Stripes!
Howdy deputy!
Nope, they are not mine. These pics were taken by Mr. Quigley. If anyone can idendify the persons, let us know.
I haven't got around to get a guncart after I landed on US soil.
The gent is Sheriff E M Horton, SASS 757, and a member of The Cowboys.  Not sure who the woman is, but Cash Dollar also has a cart like hers.

The woman in the picture is Rose N' Dmorn  Wife of Tuolumme Tweed  and the Cart IS Cash Dollars.

Here's Mine.  It accomodates Four shooters.  The longarm rack is on a lazy susan and holds 12 longarms.  The big box is seperated into four compartments.  The rear box is a wooden cooler we built.  It's a heavy S. * B. but it does turn heads.  Me and Modern Day Cowboy built it and won EOT cart of the year 2004.

* #1-Cart1.jpg (97.31 KB, 600x450 - viewed 1378 times.)

KID CAVALIER

Maker of Fine Gunleather
Irish Red O'Toole
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2005, 04:35:58 pm »

Here's one that was built for me by Pat Riot.  I painted and varnished it.  A friend did the fancy decorations.

* Cart 1.jpg (71.93 KB, 613x800 - viewed 1053 times.)

* Cart 2.jpg (67.82 KB, 603x800 - viewed 906 times.)
Chubbo
Citizen

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2005, 07:26:30 pm »

Hi, Marshal Halloway:
Where would one find the type wheels shown on the gun cart being pulled behind the covered wagon, shown in your picture? They look to be iron tired, wood wheels. They look just great. are they available in different sizes? They look like the wheels on the two wheeled push carts that peddleres pushed when I was a kid. The picture of the cart and wagon, has my head churning with ideas.
Thanks.
Chubbo
Marshal Halloway
Editor & Webmaster of Cas City.
City Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Don't squat with your spurs on. Have fun shootin'.

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2005, 09:54:55 pm »

Howdy Chubbo,

The pics shown is not of my carts, but maybe someone else can add some info here.

Marshal Halloway
Coal Stoves
Citizen

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2005, 08:54:30 pm »

Very Mobile, I travel lite like a cowboy, built her myself from a picture of an Off The Wall  design and a couple a Rolans ideas and a little engineerin on my part

Doc Neeley
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2005, 03:01:19 pm »

Mine was made for me by Dandy Don when I first started out. It's great and easy to break down.

All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us the wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream. -- T.K. Whipple
Micheal Fortune
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2005, 05:21:12 pm »

Well since I posted those pics on page one of this topic my gun cart has had several alterations.  Most noteably an umbrella and ammo box.

Hard to see but on the left side is a cup holder.... Smiley

* guncartIIh.jpg (91.45 KB, 600x1077 - viewed 1241 times.)

* 072405c.jpg (45.15 KB, 600x450 - viewed 1157 times.)

Saloon Keeper, Gambler, Shootist
Sun River Rangers Shooting Society / SASS 60159 / R.O.-1 / SBSS 1685 / G.O.F.W.G. 89 / RATS 58 / KGC 4 /
Rolan_Kraps
Citizen

« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2006, 01:18:40 pm »

Nice piece of furniture there, TB!

I've been thinking about designing (another Wink) cart, one with a removable rifle rack that can be put into a bracket mounted on a wall, so it can be used as both cart and display.  Still playing with the idea.

Adios,

You mean like this Hext? 

Here is a picture of my latest cart, folded down for travel.  Now that I look at it, it's a LOT like the modification that Sgt. Chapman made.

All, thanks for the kind words on the plans.  I've got another set in the works.  it'll be for an Easier to build cart for the "tool challenged"
tarheel mac
Top Active Citizen

SASS Number 69437 WARTHOG!

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2006, 05:52:30 am »

No Pics of mine yet...but is a "modified CalGraf design" built by none other than Col. Mark Flint also known as J. Mark Flint.  Really good guy and great example of the cowboy way.  Its take down, made of oak (so it is heavy) and 'bout the only mod I plan for it to add some PVC pipe for a beach umbrella, for some place to hide from our NC summers...
Captain Lee Bishop
Rough Rider, 1st US Cav (USV)
Top Active Citizen

..on your order, Colonel Roosevelt!

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2007, 08:56:47 pm »

I figure that I'm never going to impress too many people for a massive collection of Western stuff or having more guns than anyone else, as my focus has been into my WW2 collection (which is quite head turning at displays) and I can't repeat the same commitment into CAS. I just don't have that much money.
I figured, however, that while I'm no gun cart maker, I could turn some heads with what I did with it afterward. My intention was to paint it a dark green color and trim it with various insignia. If there was space, I was also going to be painting a SAA on each side of it somewhere, to look like my own pistols. I also have other ideas, but I wasn't sure if there'd be room or not. I have quite a bit of experience in such things, after painting pilots' jackets and steel pots for re-enactors and veterans. I had originally intended to make it into a showcase of what I could do, something that would really stand out. I had ordered the cart from a local guy who makes good simple carts. I liked the others of his I'd seen, so I told him to have one ready for me this past weekend.
When I got there to pick up the cart, the closer I got to it, the more the realization hit me:
Holy Crap, it's varnished!  Shocked
I don't recall the other carts of his being varnished, but now I wonder if I just never noticed. I'd have to take it totally apart, strip it completely down then start over. As I was putting it into my vehicle, I realized that just wasn't going to happen. So, my plans have been put back only slightly. After doing some painting on it, here's what it looks like:

I will be putting other things on there as I can think of what would look good. I still want to paint a side-view of one of my Rugers, maybe on one side of the box. I'm still not sure yet. I have the "CAS guidon" insignia on the handle sides, if you look closely.
Check out my website, it'll give an idea of the kind of stuff I can do, even if it's really not CAS-related:
http://www.freewebs.com/willysmb44/

SGT John Chapman
Top Active Citizen

And from the mists and darkness, He came.........

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2007, 11:38:43 pm »

I reproduce a few other things also, even did my own uniform with most of the leather...............I'm working on some WWII 20 Round box labels right now too......

Regards,
Sgt Chapman

##**EXTREME WARTHOG**##
            ~~GAF #143~~
               **SCORRS**
             ~*RATS #165*~

CAS City Profile For Sgt John Chapman
Johnny McCrae
Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

The older the violin, the finer the music

« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2007, 09:40:12 pm »

Attached are pictures of a gun cart I've just completed for myself. The tool box is removable. I'm estimating that it cost me around $160 for materials including the tool box. Oak boards & brass hardware are expensive. A neighbor helped me with the use of his table saw. Mostly straight 90 degree cuts with the exception of the uprights & the gun slots.

* gc web1.jpg (70.84 KB, 432x600 - viewed 1020 times.)

* gc web2.jpg (78.43 KB, 450x600 - viewed 817 times.)

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  Shooter's Meeting (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: Tell me about your guncart « previous next »
Jump to: