Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2017, 07:17:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  Shooter's Meeting (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: Tell me about your guncart 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Tell me about your guncart
I built it myself - 228 (56.9%)
A friend built it - 46 (11.5%)
I bought it from a supplier - 44 (11%)
I don't have a guncart - 80 (20%)
I bought it used - 3 (0.7%)
Total Voters: 376

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tell me about your guncart  (Read 132581 times)
Swifty Morgan
Active citizen

« Reply #125 on: April 12, 2010, 10:34:19 am »

Awsome carts!!!

RTH
rebsr52339
Bowie Knife Dick (SASS#87007)
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #126 on: April 18, 2010, 04:54:03 am »

Louie, been thinking about what you said about the wheel placement on the coffin and how far they would stick out.

" I figure it will have to be at least 15 to 16 inches at the base, flare out with shelf's at the wide part then taper back down toward the top to the first measurement."

Think about this, cut an axle in half and mount it on the backside of the coffin so that each axle protrudes perpendicular to the side. That way the wheels will be close to and parallel to the coffin side and although canted at an angle it would not impede the rolling ability of the cart. I can mail you a sketch if you PM me your address.

Bowie Knife Dick
NCOWS #3318
SASS #87007
RATS #564
ABKA #23
Lewie Girardeau
Active citizen

« Reply #127 on: April 18, 2010, 08:24:26 am »

WOW...

Pulling it on the back of a bike, I am sure you get interesting looks on the way to shoots! I bet the MP's would spazz out if I pulled up to the gate pulling that!! It would be a photo op for sure!!
     I love it though that is just about just what I was thinking of, I was thinking a little smaller but the same none the less.

Lewie Girardeau   
Lewie Girardeau
Active citizen

« Reply #128 on: April 18, 2010, 08:56:38 am »

Hey Everybody,

You know come to think of it a railroad freight dolly sits at an angle when not being used, if you put metal inserts on the bottom of the coffin and T bolts on the freight dolly all you would have to do is tilt it fore ward and the whole rig would still be attached and everything would be at a slight angle to the back.
   So, All your firearms would be leaning back into their racks.

Lewie
WaddWatsonEllis
Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....

« Reply #129 on: April 18, 2010, 09:09:40 am »

Hi,

I have been following your thread with interest, but it seems time to make myself known.

I want to build a gun cart the looks like an old shipping box/ streamer trunk, and would sit on a Railroad style hand truck.

I have bought 5' Plow Handles, but am unable to find a source for the metal parts of a Railroad Style Hand Truck

Since you have mentioned it, I am hoping you may have found some sources ...

* Antique Train Station Hand Truck Pg 1.jpg (61.66 KB, 344x458 - viewed 2425 times.)

* Antique Train Station Hand Truck Pg 2.jpg (61.66 KB, 344x458 - viewed 793 times.)

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403
Lewie Girardeau
Active citizen

« Reply #130 on: April 18, 2010, 10:49:10 am »

HIYA,

Try looking around Discover Live Steam Online, they have scale and real stuff in their for sale page.
Lewie Girardeau
Active citizen

« Reply #131 on: April 18, 2010, 10:56:18 am »

HIYA Again,

Try this company.
    They also have stuby axle kits.

http://www.rptrading.biz/SteelWagonWheels.html  
WaddWatsonEllis
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #132 on: April 18, 2010, 11:26:25 am »

Hi Back,

Thanks for the suggestions ... I just sent emails to both resources to see if they had something like what I am looking for ...

What I hope to do is use an old antique hand truck as a bed for an antique looking Steamship Trunk or something similar.

Of course, once opened, it would show itself to be a gunbox with yoked beds for long guns, holsters for short guns on the sides,

and ammo storage below to keep the weight low ...

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403
Lewie Girardeau
Active citizen

« Reply #133 on: April 18, 2010, 04:00:41 pm »

HIYA;

You know..... you could go with a freight cart all together and bypass the freight dolly at the same time!
      They had larger wheels in the rear and had a regular type of wagon tounge ( like a hay wagon) if you go with a half scale model your steamer chest would be just about perfect!!
     You could  also get a miniature longhorn steer to pull your cart from the above link, I think the add says the harness comes with the cart. But get ready for this......those long horns cost about 1500 bucks and up each!!
     Then you would have to worry about what the RSO would say about cowpies on the firing line......

Lewie Girardeau
WaddWatsonEllis
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #134 on: April 18, 2010, 04:11:02 pm »

Lewie,

Good points all; and we havent even discussed how my litte Jetta would get the steer and wagon to a shoot ... so I think I will stay with the original plan.

The 'steamer trunk' will be through bolted to the hand truck with removable stove bolts and wing nuts ... so that the hand truck can go on the Thule Bike rack up on top, and the 'steamer trunk' can go in the back seat or trunk ....

NCOWS #3403
Lewie Girardeau
Active citizen

« Reply #135 on: April 18, 2010, 05:22:12 pm »

You know with a full grown weight of 400 lbs, and only 32" tall you could just wrap the seat belt around it in the passenger seat and from there  LOL!!

Lewie
shrapnel
There is nothing like the original
Top Active Citizen

Keeping what made the West safe, alive

« Reply #136 on: April 20, 2010, 10:15:59 pm »

I find it interesting to see how much emphasis placed on the period correct costumes and yet there are golf carts and bicycle tires, etc. used in carts and nothing is said. Those that do, that is their choice, but what makes the the atmosphere of the West come full circle should include wood, leather and materials that would have been used in those days.

There are plenty of opportunities to express yourself in this way and my choice was a coffin. The interior is capable of holding 6 guns, 2 of which can be SXS shotguns. The coffin is simple in design and function. As the pictures illustrate, the guns sit on a rack above the lower level that serves as an ammo shelf. The wagon like wheels serve as nothing more than a way to wheel the cart around.

The coffin is simple, yet functional in that it is also designed to lay down on the legs that can be seen on the back of the cart. They serve as support when the coffin is laid down and can then be sat upon while waiting your turn.

My son and I built this with great plans to make it an elaborate gun toting tool. Once we got it to the point of holding guns, function canceled further plans, and at this point there is still a lot that can be done to make it more serviceable, but this works and it will have to do...

I never considered myself a failure...I started out at the bottom and happen to like it here!
Texas Lawdog
NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

" We're all Here because We're not all There".

« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2010, 09:10:46 am »

I have a coffin shaped guncart that I bought used from another shooter. It is a factory made one by a guy who uses the "Don't Tread on Me" logo with the snake. I have been doing NCOWS lately and they don't use guncarts. It's a nice cart with larger spoked wheels which makes it to push around.

SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?
Gold Canyon Kid
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2010, 04:50:11 pm »

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj255/mickeyboat/?action=view&current=012.jpg

The above photos shows a slightly different type of gun cart.  Wife and I needed a cart that would haul the most in the lightest weight cart we could find.  To roll over pea gravel easily a three wheel cart was chosen. The entire cart is made from quarter inch plywood.  Bought the baby stroller from Goodwill for $15.  Had to put on new heavy duty tires, heavy duty tubes, tire liners, and green slime to allow it to be pushed around the cactus in the desert.  My son has built another cart using this cart as a model.  The photos show a foam core mockup I had to make to get all the angles correct.
Lewie Girardeau
Active citizen

« Reply #139 on: April 21, 2010, 06:27:27 pm »

Shrapnel;

I like how you worked the sxs or single barrel gun slots into your cart, that was a very good idea!!
    I was thinking of putting lidded shelfs on the sides where the angles meet, sorta like a secretary's desk to hold little things and such, maybe a 2 hinged lid (panio hinges ) if you were looking down at it, one hinge lifts the lid and the second moves it over toward the outside edge of the coffin, but then again I had no thoughts of more than 3 maybe 4 long guns. and the revolvers would go in the bottom compartment or the other side or into little slots and just ammo on the bottom in a second compartment.

If you went with a smaller sized coffin ( young adult ) it would be small enough to slide into the back seat of a 4 door car!!

Lewie
Cookie
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #140 on: May 19, 2010, 03:09:07 pm »

When I attended my first SASS shoot last month, a guncart wasn't high on my list of needs (I still needed a rifle and scattergun at that point). But after standing for several hours in the hot sun, a comfy seat was soon a high priority.

With most guncarts I saw the seat (if they even had a seat) was an afterthought. However being of rather generous girth, and with a bum leg, in my case the seat was first priorty. So what better than to convert an actual chair to a gun cart?

Behold, the gunCHAIR!  Shocked

It only holds 2 long guns, but that's all I have at the moment. Cheesy  But because they're mounted to the side, they don't point in your face when you're walking with it.

And the seat back itself is a great handle, so I don't have to worry about adding one (as I originally planned).

I started with a used (bought at a thrift store for $25) "glider" rocking chair. Removed the bottom half of the glider hinge, and just kept the chair portion. The only additions were to add the wheels and axle, construct a storage box under the seat, and add the gun holders to the back. Since the chair was used, I did need to tighten things up a bit, but overall, it was a really easy build.

The gun holders were tricky to visualize, since it's an odd shape to work with, but even then they only took about 2 hours or so to complete. The front legs gave me the most trouble. I used the original legs, sawn in half, and screwed to the chair. However, I didn't make them as strong as I should have at first. So they needed to be reinforced.

The seat already had the hole in the middle. I just removed the foam pad, the springs underneath, and added a hinged seat that is padded with foam, and covered with leather look-alike upholstery. This is the lid for the storage box.

My wife thought I was crazy when I described this to her. But now that it's finished she thinks my fellow gunslingers will be mighty jealous.

So far it's 90% complete. I also plan on recovering the original backrest in matching brown (it's an ugly blue cloth right now), as well as adding an umbrella holder, and using an idea I saw here to create foot rest out of a wood-covered bucket. Finally, I also plan on adding some period-correct spoked wheels.

The only downside so far is that it's pretty hefty. Maybe 15-20lbs, empty. So it's no good for someone with a bad back. I'm also assuming it'll bog down pretty easily. But dang, is it comfy!  Cheesy

I'll post additional pics as it progresses if anyone's interested.
rebsr52339
Bowie Knife Dick (SASS#87007)
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #141 on: May 24, 2010, 12:32:38 pm »

Cookie, that is just American ingenuity at its greatest. Good show.  Grin

Bowie Knife Dick
NCOWS #3318
SASS #87007
RATS #564
ABKA #23
Deja vous
Top Active Citizen

Branson 2009

« Reply #142 on: June 25, 2010, 01:38:16 pm »

My guncart,, gosh, my is plain and ordinary.. I love some of the nice ones on this thread.. how cool...  Okay, mine is used, and it has the wheels with the spokey like stuff you might see on a cart.  Its the regular style with room for all my guns, a larger box at the bottom for my junk and shot gun shells, and a little box at the top for my wetwipes cuz I make a mess, and my bullets as I need them.  It put a new board on the front to help hold the guns in but it is a different color rignt now.  And I added some padding.  It has a  couple hooks for a bag for the brass.  Some people have the best ideas and I just enoy seeing them.  But mine is just ordinary... but I love it cuz it works..

Even lightening strikes twice at times,  Deja Vous
dangerranger
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #143 on: July 14, 2010, 04:19:53 am »

heres mine,Radio flyer, first I added 4" to the handle. they were made for kids to pull. then I added the long gun rack.

it removes and also folds flat for transport. this is the latch that holds its angle at the axle.

this is the atachment to the wagon.

the only change Id make is making it bigger. it only holds four long guns. DR

Life is a rush into the unknown, You can duck down real low and hope nothing hits you, Or stand up tall, show it your teeth,and say "Dish it up Baby and dont get stingy with the Peppers!!!"
Olive Mae Burr
Citizen

« Reply #144 on: July 14, 2010, 10:57:13 am »

Being that I'm just a little thing, 'bout 5' tall and 130lbs, and I'm a college student who lives in a tiny efficiency apartment, I built mine with size, storability, expense and wieght in mind. I wish a had a pic to show you. It's made out of scrap lumber that I took out of my granpapa's barn, the main frame it out of a piece of conduit, (I did have help bending that to the right shape), and has a good size removable tin box (that was at one time cooler I think my dad bought about 35-40 years ago). The only thing that LOOKS half-way decent on it is the box since I did take the time to paint it. I get mixed comments on the thing, some about how gosh darn ugly the thing is and others about how well it folds up nice and the fuctionality of the thing. With the box off, it folds up near flat and I have no problem hefting it in and out of my car by myself. It holds up to four long guns and I can fit more than I need in the box. All-in-all, it does the job it's supposed to and I don't have to aquisition help to load or unload the thing.

Five-Foot nuthin' but tuffer than some.
Two Spurs
Citizen

« Reply #145 on: July 26, 2010, 11:58:25 am »

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj255/mickeyboat/?action=view&current=012.jpg

The above photos shows a slightly different type of gun cart.  Wife and I needed a cart that would haul the most in the lightest weight cart we could find.  To roll over pea gravel easily a three wheel cart was chosen. The entire cart is made from quarter inch plywood.  Bought the baby stroller from Goodwill for $15.  Had to put on new heavy duty tires, heavy duty tubes, tire liners, and green slime to allow it to be pushed around the cactus in the desert.  My son has built another cart using this cart as a model.  The photos show a foam core mockup I had to make to get all the angles correct.

Very slick design Gold Canyon. It's always neat to see someone thinking outside the box.  Wink
Sir Charles deMouton-Black
THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #146 on: September 08, 2010, 07:40:24 pm »

Here is my Sun&Air taking a ride with "The Grey Fox" SASS #223.  The guncart is a replica of an antique horseless carriage built on a riding lawnmower! The photo was taken at the HQ match in Victoria BC on August 21,2010.

* IMG_2164 small.jpg (48.08 KB, 300x400 - viewed 608 times.)

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”
Black Tooth Zach
Citizen

« Reply #147 on: January 16, 2011, 08:52:25 pm »

Great thread.  I'm getting the parts together to build my gun cart, and the pictures and ideas here will be a big help.

Black Tooth Zach
SASS #88221
Cholla Bob
Citizen

« Reply #148 on: February 26, 2011, 05:30:31 pm »

Just finished my first guncart.  It has a removable ammo box and breaks down for transport.  And it doesn't take 3 men and a boy to load it in the car after a match.   Tongue

* Cholla cart 01.jpg (115.51 KB, 676x846 - viewed 759 times.)

* Cholla cart 02.jpg (93.79 KB, 641x577 - viewed 736 times.)

"I'm looking for the owner of that horse. He's tall, blonde, he smokes a cigar, and he's a pig! "
Icebox Bob
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #149 on: February 26, 2011, 10:41:02 pm »

Bin meenin to post mine fer awhile -

* Mine3.JPG (119.09 KB, 343x400 - viewed 670 times.)

Well.... see, if you take your time, you get a more harmonious outcome.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  Shooter's Meeting (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: Tell me about your guncart « previous next »
Jump to: