Author Topic: Early Uberti Remington 1875  (Read 17198 times)

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
Early Uberti Remington 1875
« on: December 06, 2006, 09:44:16 AM »
Howdy to the campfire from Germany.
At a recent gun show I obtained above in decent condition, 7,5" barrel. 45 Colt cal., brass triggerguard. S/N 73, production probably early 1970?! I purchased it because the cylinder is fixed the "correct" way like the original Remingtons were (and the Hartford Armory ones are), and NOT by the Colt-style spring loaded transverse pin through the frame. This is the third one of these early Uberti Remingtons I saw personally: one other was in .357 cal. at a show a year ago and one in .45 Colt cal. with a collector-friend. My acquisition is currently with a gunsmith who is changing the triggerguard to the period-correct steel one and is doing some other cosmetical jobs to the pistol.
I am wondering if there are more early Uberti Remington 75's out there with this kind of correct cylinder/cylinder pin configuration. I would like to know when Uberti decided to change production to the not period-correct Colt-type currently available (no offence, please!)? If you have such an early Uberti Remington please share your S/N range (not the exact S/N!) that I can do further studies. Thank you
Bootsie
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Re: Early Uberti Remington 1875
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 10:01:11 AM »
Ironically, I was just talking to a friend about this last Sunday. Years ago he had a three digit serial # Uberti '75 and it had the Colt smokeless style cylinder release. So, we know it was somewhere under #1000. Uberti also lengthened the cylinder somewhere along the line. The earlier ones handle BP better according to a friend who has both.

Offline Oldelm

• Vietnam Vet 66-67
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 10:51:23 AM »
Bootsie and Fox Creek,

I was wondering just how are the original '75 cylinder pins are fixed.  I know there's no obvious pin through the side of the frame like the current reproductions (except the Hartford models),...but how is the pin fixed, and what do you do to remove it?

Thanks

..........and congrats to you, Bootsie, on your purchase of the "old" Uberti '75  ;)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:41:59 AM »

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 02:18:30 PM »
Here are pics of the acquisition
Bootsie
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 02:19:45 PM »
And another one.
Bootsie

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 02:28:16 PM »
The little spring secured "nose" of the cylinder pin, just visible next to the head of the ejector, releases the cylinder pin, if the cylinder needs to be removed.
As you say Fox Creek Kid the cylinder seems to be a mite short compared to current production .45 cal.
There is some work to be done to the pistol, i. e. exchange front sight to period correct (late model) blade, exchange triggerguard, reblueing incl. casehardening of hammer and loading gate, refinishing the grips.
Mechanically the action is crisp, barrel and chamber clear and shiny.
Bootsie

Offline Oldelm

• Vietnam Vet 66-67
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 03:13:26 PM »
Thanks for the explanation,...and the pics.

It has that mellow look of an old timer.  :)

Offline Rapid Lee

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 06:54:50 PM »
I have an early one, s/n 65X, that also has the original style cylinder pin retention.  Mine is a Replica Arms and looks to be "factory" engraved:

How is yours marked, Bootsie?  Just "A. Uberti & C. Gardone V.T. Italy" ??

Rapid

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 01:44:19 AM »
Beautiful pistol, Rapid. Does yours have a lanyardring? Was it delivered from the factory with this post-type front sight? What is the caliber of yours?
I have to admit I don't know how mine is marked because I gave it to my smith for further "treatment" right after the purchase. Once I have it back I'll let you know and post detailed pics.
Bootsie

Offline Rapid Lee

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 07:46:22 AM »
No lanyard ring.  Post front sight is original - I believe the post type sight was standard on all the 1875s from Uberti for quite some time.  It looks like yours may have been updated by cutting down the post and slotting to accept a blade?  I've got a later 1890 that someone did that very thing to.  Mine is chambered is 45 Colt.

Here's a pic of the 1890 - I added the steel trigger guard and hard rubber grips.  A previous owner modified the sight blade and added the case colored loading gate:

Rapid

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 08:42:59 AM »
Nice looking Remington 1890, probably a good shooter, too?
"Updating" is a nice word for tinkering with the front sight of the previous ownder of my 1875.
Bootsie

Offline Yankee Will

• Very Active Citizen
  • Member: NRA, SCORRS
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 08:44:55 AM »
WOW!!!!
That one all most looks too pretty to shoot, Lee!!!!
"This country needs more Patton and less patent leather..."

Offline willyboy

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 05:31:12 PM »
You guys scored.[Ha!SCORRed...]my old Armi San Marco and my more recent vintage Uberti 1875's both have the Colt style latches.Wonder why for they did that?

Offline Rapid Lee

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 08:53:16 PM »
I recall reading a long time ago that the Remington style cylinder pin release used on the early replicas would not stay put with 357 mag loads, so they decided to go with the more proven (modern) design.  I've not had any trouble with mine, but I'm only shooting mild 45 Schofield cowboy loads through it ;D

Rapid

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 11:10:38 AM »
It's been a while but today the postman rang twice and delivered the restored Remington I told you about early December last year. S/N is 73, production was 1972 (XX8).
The smith Klaus Mumme did a pretty nice job like fitting a steel triggerguard and a new front sight, reblued her and had a "case hardener" apply proper case colors to hammer and loading gate.
I wonder if this 58-type front sight is period-correct? A blade might be more correct on a pistol without lanyard ring? Klaus sighted her to shoot POA at 25 meters. I'll give her a workout on Wednesday.
Bootsie

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 11:14:15 AM »
That looks great. I'd leave the sight as it is. From what I've seen, there were both post and blade sights made, depending on who ordered the pistols.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Cimarron Lawman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 12:42:37 PM »
The gun looks great! Very close to an original.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 06:54:20 PM »
I'd eat a bucket of dirt for that gun!!  ;)

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2007, 01:57:54 AM »
Fox Creek Kid: Today is the Day of Truth. I'll take her through the paces. If she is not performing as expected, shooting straight that is, I will be pretty upset and frustrated.
In that unlikey event you will not have to eat the dirt because I might well feel tempted to offer her to the pards and pardneretts of CAS-City...who will give her a new home in the proper cowboy environment and treat her right...
Provided, of course you find an importer to get her into the country which might cost an arm and a leg.
Bootsie

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2007, 02:26:59 AM »
Range report from the Day of Truth: fired 50 CAS rounds smokeless with my 200 gr/.452 dia lead bullet yesterday. As a Colt man I am positively impressed by the Remington grip, really comfortable, little felt recoil.
Now I understand why Uberti changed the cylinder pin release to the spring loaded Colt design. Under recoil the cylinder pin popped forward like 2 to 3 mm which I did not realize during the first 5 rounds and it jammed the action.
Afterwards I pushed the pin back after each shot and she functioned "flawlessly". The old spring needs to be replaced.
Accuracy at 25 meters was so/so with a 2-handed hold. She is shooting 8" low. The latter will be corrected by lowering the front sight which looks "too high" anyhow. Accuracy can probably be improved by different bullets, need to slug the barrel.
Next moves? Have front sight lowered and release spring exchanged by the smith. I will be removing the old factory varnish from the grip and give her the oil treatment. Have ordered a holster. Once all the jobs are done I'll have another shooting session with her.
Does she have character? Sure does!
Is she going to stay? Yes, for the time being but probably no "permanent visa".
Bootsie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com